cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Franking of shipments from Sellers

This long time trend of stamp dealers to use discount USA stamps on their sendings to collectors needs to stop.  The buyer is paying the postage and then some.  They are collectors and need the new stamps from the current year ( you can buy them at the post office).  I do understand that you have much of these unused older stamps which are worth less then face, only can use them for postage.  A combination of old and new would be Ok too.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I understand. I rarely use them because of time and convenience. Have a ton as well.

Most times you can barely fit them on a letter because post costs are so much higher now...hehe.

90%? I would think maybe 30%. that's pretty good! I don't go to dealers to sell anymore.

Strictly here on eBay. Have posted a few lots in group form and got 30-50% face. Offered them for much less in auction. I always have the attitude that if I got them cheap, I sell them cheap.

Guess because I don't depend on them for income. I just figure using them up will change things in the future as far as the mint stamps go. We all have to use em up though to do it. Maybe in another 50 years....hehe.

I have thrown out a ton of them in used condition already!

good luck to you jtfat!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

That does not compute. The U.S. stamps no matter what age are still worth "face value" otherwise one would have to put more on than the value required to post a letter. The majority of collectors that receive them on mailings like them A LOT!

Besides that. Once used in mailing NONE retain "face value" so we do not see your point other than wanting new issues used.

Think of it this way. As time goes on and more and more of the older issues are "used" the mint ones will become more valuable as they will become rarer. Dealers using them to post mailings are doing a favor for future collectors and to collectors who are retaining the mint copies for their children and such.

The buyer is never "forced" to pay the shipping costs. If the buyer does not like the cost....don't buy the stamp from that dealer. The dealer does not "have" to use stamps at all on mailings. getting stamps on philatelic letters is a "bonus" provided by dealers no matter what stamps they use. Most philatelic letters I receive from international sellers outside the U.S. are doing the same thing. so I guess dealers worldwide should end the practice? I don't think they ever will.....

Anyway, as a collector (which I am also) I would be more concerned with what is "inside" the letter or package than what is used on the outside.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your reply,  yes they are face value for postage, try an sell them to a dealer ,

you get 90 % face.  BTW us older collectors have these USA stamps by pack full and box full. That was when 5 pounds of US stamp on paper cost $10.  These mixes were full of these older stamps I wish they would quit using.  BTW I have tried to sell or trade these older stamps, No takers, In USA or the world.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes, I understand. I rarely use them because of time and convenience. Have a ton as well.

Most times you can barely fit them on a letter because post costs are so much higher now...hehe.

90%? I would think maybe 30%. that's pretty good! I don't go to dealers to sell anymore.

Strictly here on eBay. Have posted a few lots in group form and got 30-50% face. Offered them for much less in auction. I always have the attitude that if I got them cheap, I sell them cheap.

Guess because I don't depend on them for income. I just figure using them up will change things in the future as far as the mint stamps go. We all have to use em up though to do it. Maybe in another 50 years....hehe.

I have thrown out a ton of them in used condition already!

good luck to you jtfat!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

😊

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

A seller need only the full rate of postage in unused stamps to his sendings. Many times using discount postage can allow the seller to price the item a bit lower and garner more bids. In any event it is the sellers choice what stamps he uses.

Best,

Frank

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

As a collector I've never complained about the amount of shipping for the stamps I purchase, even paying more for shipping from international sellers than the price of the stamp(s). I really appreciate those sellers using real stamps and having them hand or machine cancelled (no ballpoint pen or marker). Of you're getting 90% pf face value for your postage, that's a windfall. Most commercial stamp purchasers offer far less. Even the local philatelic library sells postage at 75% of face, even the plate blocks. And if you have a large lot of old mint stamps you're trying to get rid of I know plenty of takers, including me. Stamp collector usually used interesting, old, out of the ordinary stamps to pique the interest of others. Keep using these stamps even if you need to use a larger envelope, etc. The sellers are paying the postage, and I personally have let a shipping cost keep me from purchasing any stamp I wanted.

galig8--Gary from Colorado

Message 7 of 7
latest reply