cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unopened Vintage Wax Packs

Came really close to succumbing to curiousity and bidding on some "unopened" 1969 Topps Football wax packs this weekend.  I'm not talking about graded ones...I'm talking loose and ready to be ripped into.  Luckily common sense kicked in.  I'm just wondering if anyone has bought any unopened vintage and has a dealer they're comfortable with.  

The odds of truly receiving an unsearched, un-resealed pack are probably next to none.  But I found one seller with a feedback rating in the 1,000s and it was 99.9% positive.  All he sold was unopened vintage and I couldn't find one accusatory comment.   But how can anyone have that much?

Anyone have any thoughts on the topic?

Rob

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Anyone have any thoughts on the topic?

As a vintage card collector, three areas I have never ventured into are memorabilia  autographs, and lastly vintage unopened material.    For me, the reason is the same, too many chances for items in these categories to be faked, forged, and/or resealed.   

If you have not already read this, here is a thread from another board  regarding "graded" unopened packs....this is the reason I would not purchase any graders "graded" unopened packs.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162027

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Mark Murphy, "The Baseball Card Kid", has been buying and selling vintage unopened material for about 20 years and has a strong positive reputation in that hobby segment. He originated the slabbing and grading of unopened packs and afiliated himself with the original GAI to provide that service. He's no longer selling unopened material, likely because a number of reputable (as well as non-reputable) competitors cut his margins too thin.

In any event there's plenty of unopened 1960s and 1970s stuff out there. Larry Fritsch Cards will still be selling 1975 Topps baseball Cellos when your Great Grandkids reach age 21  🙂  - that's how many cases he is purported to still have warehoused.

The biggest horde I have ever seen was at Mike Cramer's warehouses when he ran Pacific Trading Cards out of Edmunds, WA. Mike was one of the (few) steady buyers of bulk cases of Topps product starting in the 1960s - they had to buy 1 or more trailer truckloads each year from Topps without knowing what might be inside and with no haggling over price. I saw unopened cases of wax, etc dating back to the 1960s, and all sports (and non sports) covered, as recently as the early 1990s in Mike's warehouses. I'm sure Mike's either sold them off or put them into bonded, secure storage now.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Wow...Fascinating thread.  I got sucked into reading nearly all 23 pages.  I'll steer clear of the unopened stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Rob

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Bud,

I remember Mark Murphy, he used to set up at shows with his unopened wax/cello boxes of a little bit of this and that in all sports. Did he do your shows??

I bought most of my sets and vintage from Pat Quinn, Roger Marth and Don Stienbach. They had a whole lot of '60's vending

fballguy,

I certainly could see the interest in '69 Topps football. Great year and set.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Norm - Mark set up at 1 of my Bellevue Hyatt Regency shows while he was still living back east. He really didn't like to do many shows that he couldn't drive to - too much damage & other loss traveling by air....... hmmm..... with airport security these days Alan Rosen can't just carry $100,000 in cash in his jacket pockets like he used to, can he  🙂

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

. hmmm..... with airport security these days Alan Rosen can't just carry $100,000 in cash in his jacket pockets like he used to, can he  

He'd probably try to wave it at airport security. 🙂

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Hey Mr. Bud...I know I'm a year late...lol..some how I got to this thread but if I'm not mistaken...Mark went out of business after a house fire!  I remember over 10 years ago when got in to collecting I remember he had all kinds of stuff and remembered him saying something about a house fire and he lost everything except his dog!  I think he was living in CT at the time...about about 13 years ago..really sad cause  he would even authenicate as well so one knew there stuff was legit!  I had his opened guide but got rid of it long time ago when I got out of collecting!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Mark immediately moved to California after he cashed out his full inventory in the "accidental" house fire. He set up pack grading with Global Authentication.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Hi Bud,
Just came across Mark's catalogue and the receipts for 4 "unopened" packs of 87 Fleer basketball which were clearly pre searched and he refused to take them back. Are there any further details on the house fire and his current profession?
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Bud passed away some time back and it's unlikely anybody is left here to answer your question.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for the quick reply.

So sorry to hear about Bud. My condolences.

Same last name as Mark.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

There are a number of unopened pack collectors/experts on the PSA/CU forum, many there could likely provide the feedback you are seeking on Mark Murphy.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Same last name as Mark.

Yes, but not related or affiliated in any way.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I'm sure.

Thanks!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply