cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody else absolutely HATE doing a search for certain auctions on here?

Does anybody else hate looking for a certain product on the auctions? It didn't use to be bad but every time ebay makes changes it is always for the worse. I don't even look anymore it makes me so frustrated.. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What are you having trouble searching for?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I agree. eBay "auto corrects" item names and I can't search for items that I'm looking for, which often involve non-English names. E.g. When I type in "tana" it gives me "tank" and I can't change it. When I type in "hitoe" it gives me "hi toe" and I can't look for "hitoe."

I can't look for the things I want unless it's an English word? Isn't that discrimination? What's going on here?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

When I type in "tana" it gives me "tank" and I can't change it.

If a keyword produces very few results but a slight variation of the same keyword produces many results, eBay will often automatically substitute the more popular keyword. That can be useful if the user searching makes a spelling mistake, but in some cases the result is not what is being searched for at all.

When eBay makes a substitution like that, there is often a message at the top of the search results like this:

eburtonlab_0-1656733118091.png

The highlighted word is a link to the search you were originally trying to do.

Alternatively, if you want to avoid any keyword substitutions, you can put one of your search keywords in quotes. That will force eBay to search for only literal matches of your search keywords without any substitutions.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply