cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gorham mark. Is this coin, sterling, or plated?

I purchased many pieces of Gorham at an auction, and I'm having a very hard time determining if this mark is for coin or sterling?  I don't THINK it's plated, as there is no indication of it, and they have no plate loss at all.

Any ideas for me????  Or good resources? I can't find this particular mark anywhere online.  Thank you!20230820_113813a.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This is a Gorham silverplate mark.

https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_G3.html

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your response, but I'm not seeing this mark on that page?  What am I missing?  Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It looks closest to the last pix on the left side.

If it's not marked  "Sterling" or "925".

Or it's not marked "Coin" or "900/1000".

It must be silver-plate.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The Gorham silverplate marks are shown on this page:

https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_G2.html

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hmmm, but that's not necessarily true across the board.  I think it is true about these pieces....(because I'm seeing other auctions with the same mark - although trying to find a definitive guide online is difficult!) but not across all makers.  I have a whole set of John Polhamus silver, not marked sterling....but he didn't make silver plate.  So, it has to be coin....although not marked coin.  I have seen lots of variation in markings.  Would folks tend to agree with me or disagree on this?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It's really odd, because when you google Gorham silverplate marks, everything comes up with EP or EPNS.  I couldn't find anything with just Gorham and the anchor. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Great, thank you!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Gorham marked silverplate with different marks at different times in the past. If you would have show a picture of the complete pattern, I would have told you the pattern name, and that would have confirmed the silverplate id. Further, other makers also marked their silverplate, different ways at different times, and that is why there are lengthy encyclopedia's of silver marks online. This is Gorham silverplate, only that and nothing more.

(Your coin flatware has nothing to do with how Gorham marked silverplate.)

Message 9 of 9
latest reply