cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Discounted USPS Costs for 1st Class with tracking

When using the Shipping Calculator, I can get my costs for many items but not for 1st Class with Tracking.

I charge for shipping, not Free, and have it in my listings. When listing, 1st Class is a range but it is not correct. So I take a guess.  Since Covid, the Post Office has been raising their rates at least 2 time a year. We just had one in January and the stated that there will be another this year.

I have some Inventory that has been sitting for a while and I want to update, but like I said the shipping calculator does not show 1st Class. Try it for yourself. Make up a letter with a weight under a pound and your zip code and to another one.  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@etrader61 wrote: ...  the shipping calculator does not show 1st Class. Try it for yourself. Make up a letter with a weight under a pound and your zip code and to another one.  

The weight limit for letters is 3.5 ounces.  USPS has 3 categories of First Class mail: letters, flats (AKA Large envelope), and packages.  If you want tracking and if you want to purchase postage through eBay, then you have to ship as a First Class package.  Letters and flats don't have tracking which is probably why eBay doesn't offer postage labels for them.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

USPS First Class for envelopes is not offered through eBay, although shipping with USPS First Class Packages is an eBay option, which also includes tracking.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@etrader61 wrote: ...  the shipping calculator does not show 1st Class. Try it for yourself. Make up a letter with a weight under a pound and your zip code and to another one.  

The weight limit for letters is 3.5 ounces.  USPS has 3 categories of First Class mail: letters, flats (AKA Large envelope), and packages.  If you want tracking and if you want to purchase postage through eBay, then you have to ship as a First Class package.  Letters and flats don't have tracking which is probably why eBay doesn't offer postage labels for them.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

The post office has been raising rates for years. Don't blame it on covid. You need to get a scale. You need to always round up.  If you use calculated shipping, add a small handling charge to help cover your costs related to shipping like ink, paper, tape, etc.  Stop guessing.   Get boxes and keep them near when you list something. Kinda weigh the item in the same size box that you are going to ship.  If it says 5.1 make it 7 ounces to account for packing peanuts , tape, etc.   Always round up.  Get a scale and get a measuring tape.  I have not made a mistake in calculating the shipping for years by doing it this way.   When you use calculated too, you do not have to worry about changing the shipping when the next postal increase comes.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply