cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do some seller have "Ostrich Syndrome" when they can't resolve buyer problem?

Recently I had issues with items from 3 different sellers. I contacted them all via normal ask question first to see what could be done.

First seller, China, sent me wrong item. The seller responded 2 days later asking for picture (even though I did include picture of the item on top of mailing package with my address and the seller's address).  I sent the picture again.  2 days go by before they responded they were very sorry and offered to resend.  I said no because it was more than 1 month shipping and I needed them sooner.  2 more days later they offered me partial refund if I keep the item.  I had no use for the wrong item and said no.  A week go by, no further response. I ended up opening case and eBay refunded me without return.

Second seller, I got item that didn't work.  Seller was in USA.  He and I tried various troubleshooting to figure out what was wrong but after a while, he just stopped responding.  I guess he figured it couldn't be fixed and hoped it'd go away by buring his head like ostrich.  Opened claim after no response for a week, got refunded. I gave the item to someone who was good with electronic, he said it was a bad solder joint near power so it was working afterward.  Oddly enough when I left a neg for no response (didn't mention eBay involvement just in case that gets the feedback removed), he responded the next day and offered refund if I removed it. Said I already got refund.

This seller, from China again.  I bought something fairly large and heavy and it arrived in about 3 weeks but it was also DOA.  Seller never responded at all and I also had to open claim. eBay required me to send it back and gave me prepaid label.  If eBay makes the seller eat the return shipping, I checked it is almost $40 so this really hurts the seller.  Item was $20 shipped, not sure how much actual postage for China post.

I wish eBay would remind sellers not to bury their heads in the sand when they are dealing with return requests.  Claims that are opened and allowed to auto-close in buyer's favor dings the seller's reputation and for low volume seller, they can end up paying more for FVF and give them less optimal listing in buyer's searches.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Why do some seller have "Ostrich Syndrome" when they can't resolve buyer problem?

They remind sellers forcefully with " unresolved case" defects, a few of which will end the seller on eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

They remind sellers forcefully with " unresolved case" defects, a few of which will end the seller on eBay.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I have always read here that neither Ebay nor the Chinese sellers can issue return labels for items going back to China, that basically the Chinese sellers has to send the buyer $$ to return the item or if no response, Ebay just has the buyer keep the item.

Have things now, that Ebay will provide a return label for items going back to China (and then billing the Chinese seller?)

Just curious 😉

Tammy

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@b4b4b4b wrote:

Have things now, that Ebay will provide a return label for items going back to China (and then billing the Chinese seller?)

I have no idea what changed or if it's something else.  Maybe if the item's over certain value it has to be shipped back?  In this case the real winner is the USPS who got paid $40 to collect DOA item.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply