cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS shipping label options suddenly disappeared after printing two labels

After printing two USPS Ground Advantage labels, all USPS options disappeared, the originally specified USPS Ground Advantage option switched to FEDEX Ground Economy. Anyone else have the same issue? Obviously there's no way to find answer from eBay.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I think the USPS site is down

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hi @oszika . Most of the time this happens it's because there's an issue with the buyer's address. Check for a missing unit number or similar issue.

I see this complaint weekly. Unfortunately eBay's lack of (or vague) error message when something like this happens is less than helpful.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Google the shipping address and make sure it's valid.  USPS has better address software than any other shipper and automatically won't allow printing a label to an address that is wrong.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It was pretty hard to find out, but here is what happened. The address is correct, but USPS don't deliver to that small city within Boston, therefore eBay automatically pass the ball to FEDEX. So eBay aware of the issue, but they hide it. The buyer pays what USPS charge, seller pays what FEDEX  charge, so seller lose money, eBay has no problem with their dishonesty.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@oszika wrote:

It was pretty hard to find out, but here is what happened. The address is correct, but USPS don't deliver to that small city within Boston, therefore eBay automatically pass the ball to FEDEX. ...

Who told you that?  As a Boston native, I find it hard to believe that there is a "small city within Boston" that USPS doesn't deliver to.  Did you follow the advice in the above posts, to check up on the address format and details through usps? I'd check it at their ZIP Code finder, using the link below.  Enter the street address, town and state. Or even better, share it with us so we can check, too.

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@oszika wrote:

It was pretty hard to find out, but here is what happened. The address is correct, but USPS don't deliver to that small city within Boston, therefore eBay automatically pass the ball to FEDEX. So eBay aware of the issue, but they hide it. The buyer pays what USPS charge, seller pays what FEDEX  charge, so seller lose money, eBay has no problem with their dishonesty.

https://facts.usps.com/

"We’re proud to provide secure, reliable and affordable service to every address in the United States, its territories and its military and diplomatic installations worldwide."

In some rural areas USPS may not deliver to a person's street address and instead deliver to a PO Box where people have to pick up their mail, but they are required to provide mail access everywhere. Check the address @oszika and check with the buyer if need be.

As @nobody*s_perfect said, I have a hard time believing USPS won't deliver to an address in Boston.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

It doesn't matter what the USPS claiming, they don't deliver to Allston, MA 02134. They most likely have an agreement with FEDEX. By the way, this information came from eBay itself. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Allston, MA 02134

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@oszika wrote:

It doesn't matter what the USPS claiming, they don't deliver to Allston, MA 02134. They most likely have an agreement with FEDEX. By the way, this information came from eBay itself. 

Hi kyle@ebay . Can you review the OP's communications with customer service? It's completely ridiculous that a CS rep told this seller USPS does not deliver to Allston, MA. That info is wrong.

USPS does deliver to Allston, MA @oszika . In fact, it's very easy to read about that specific town. The PO in Allston had to undergo structural repairs so it was closed in Dec 2019 with in-person PO services relocated to Brighton, MA post office. One article stated, "Street delivery in Allston will not be impacted but, if customers receive a notice for a signature required or oversized item, they will need to go to the Brighton Post Office the next day to retrieve it." (link). USPS announced in 2023 they plan to reopen the PO in Allston (link).

Edit to add: I just reviewed my transaction history from the past couple years and I've shipped multiple packages to Allston, MA through USPS.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

That's fine, but eBay didn't give any USPS delivery option. FEDEX Ground appeared as default, I could change it to other -more expensive- FEDEX and UPS options, but no USPS.  You can argue, but I couldn't. By the way several years ago I had a similar situation with Santa Barbara, California.  I always look things positively. Since the USPS delivered thousands of packages without any issue, I'll still stick with them.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@oszika wrote:

Why would you consider "eBay itself" to be an authority on USPS policies??  Allston is a major section of the city, home to thousands of students and to the WGBH TV studios. Of course they get mail delivery. Members of a certain age who were fans of the kids' TV program "ZOOM" will remember that ZIP Code for sure!

Allston is a very densely populated section of the city. Most residents live in apartment buildings. I strongly suspect that  your problem is that the buyer's address is missing their apartment number. Have you tried entering the address into the USPS web site, as recommended above?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I'm not in business to investigate who is right who is wrong, eBay didn't let me print USPS Ground Advantage label, so I just payed the extra $1.34 to print a FEDEX Ground label. This label had two barcodes, one is FEDEX, the other is USPS. I guess, in lack of Post Office in Allston, USPS contracted FEDEX to do certain duties. That's all. At least I've learned something, when certain shipping options are not available, there's a reason for that and bite the bullet.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hey @wastingtime101 thanks for checking in.  I'll be glad to have that reviewed and coaching provided.  

I agree with what has been stated in this thread; this is almost assuredly an issue with the address itself that was entered by the buyer.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@oszika wrote:

eBay didn't let me print USPS Ground Advantage label, so I just payed the extra $1.34 to print a FEDEX Ground label. This label had two barcodes, one is FEDEX, the other is USPS.

It's most likely a missing apartment number that caused USPS to be grayed out on the label page.

You purchased a FedEx Ground Economy label and now the package may get returned to you for an incomplete address @oszika .

Ground Economy is a service where FedEx handles the first part of shipping, then USPS handles final leg of delivery.

If you didn't ship yet I encourage you to void the label purchased, ask the buyer for their unit number, then buy the USPS label with the correct address, selecting the USPS service advertised in your listing.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply