cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS doesn't list simple Priority Mail poly bag as option, just Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. Help!

Thanks for any help with this. I picked up a bunch of "Priority Mail" poly bags at the post office and will have a ton of items to ship out in these in the coming days, but when I go to purchase my postage and label through eBay (and even when I look at the USPS.com site for that matter), I don't see an option for Priority Mail without it being a Flat Rate product. If I choose "USPS Priority Mail Package" (which is the item that seems to come closest to what I need) it asks not only for the weight, but the dimensions of the package. How do I accurately measure a puffy package and not worry that it's calculated incorrectly and returned? What's the correct way to mail these? I've attached the screens showing my only options and nothing seems to fit. What gives? Any advice appreciated for a newbie. Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.21.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.21.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.20.56 PM.png

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

USPS doesn't list simple Priority Mail poly bag as option, just Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. Help!

If  you are not using one of the specifically labeled flat rate or Regional rate boxes or envelopes, then it ships at the regular Priority Mail package rates that are based on dimensions, weight, and distance.  This includes poly bags, Tyvek envelopes, all of the other free Priority Mail packaging, as well as plain boxes or envelopes provided by the sender.

It is not important to enter precise dimensions, since the package dimensions are a cost factor only if the package volume is over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  You can just estimate the dimensions of your puffy envelope.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's just a package.

Approximate measurements will work just fine.

No dimension will be over 12",(will not exceed one cubic foot) so even though it defaults to asking for a measurement, the weight will be the critical factor to determine the shipping cost.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If  you are not using one of the specifically labeled flat rate or Regional rate boxes or envelopes, then it ships at the regular Priority Mail package rates that are based on dimensions, weight, and distance.  This includes poly bags, Tyvek envelopes, all of the other free Priority Mail packaging, as well as plain boxes or envelopes provided by the sender.

It is not important to enter precise dimensions, since the package dimensions are a cost factor only if the package volume is over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  You can just estimate the dimensions of your puffy envelope.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

What you want is priority mail flat rate padded envelope.  Shipping price $7.55 commercial base, $8.00 at post office.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The flat rate envelopes would say flat rate right on them. Most of the OP's items would not fit into one of those.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks. I have chosen Priority Mail Package, added approximate dimensions and will keep my fingers crossed. Even the clerks at the post office didn't know what to tell me and insisted a "package" was a box. Here goes nuthin . . .
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@tiggerdelore wrote:
Thanks. I have chosen Priority Mail Package, added approximate dimensions and will keep my fingers crossed. Even the clerks at the post office didn't know what to tell me and insisted a "package" was a box. Here goes nuthin . . .

It is truly unfortunate that the USPS employees do not understand what characteristics constitute a "package".

You should be golden.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@tiggerdelore wrote: ... . Even the clerks at the post office didn't know what to tell me and insisted a "package" was a box. Here goes nuthin . . .

Good grief, I can't believe they haven't encountered this before, on a daily basis.   I wonder what they've been doing with all of the thick envelopes that have been shipped over their counter.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tiggerdelore wrote:

I'm a USPS employee (rural carrier).

Does your mailer say Flat Rate Envelope? Does it have a layer of bubble wrap imbedded in the mailer?

If so then you have  PADDED FLAT RATE ENVELOPE and need to select that option.

If your mailer is just the thin poly mailer or Tyvek mailer it will just say Priority mailer (It will not say Flat Rate). 

These ship by weight and zone. You can not stuff them enough to exceed 1 cubic foot so the measurements don't really matter as to pricing. The only time they will come into play is if the item is lost it will provide a physical description. Select Priority Shipping.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply