cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS claim, damaged item, who receives payment? Extra item was included in anticipation of damage.

So here goes the story.

I am the Seller. I sold 10 batteries. Since they are quite heavy (over 5 lb each) I included one extra in case USPS did not do a good job taking care of the package.

Sure enough, the package was slightly damaged and one battery was cracked.

Hence, the Buyer was left with 10 working batteries.

Then the Buyer discovered one more cracked. I filed a claim with USPS and it seems it was approved.

The maximum payment of 50 USD was approved and it appears it was sent to the Buyer.

Who shall receive the payment? Buyer or Seller?

If I was the recipient, I could mail replacement for the damaged ones, but once the Buyer receives the payout, I would presume he/she keeps the remaining batteries and the payment. My responsibility is done here.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

USPS claim, damaged item, who receives payment? Extra item was included in anticipation of damage.

Why didn't you just pack them better?

It is just plain logic that a 50# package will be placed on the bottom of a stack. 'A's (the transport cages) are 6 ft tall so that box could have several hundred pounds on top of it. 

A fragile item should have at least 2" of quality padding top and bottom and around all sides between itself and the box or any other item in the box. It also should be packed in such a way that no shifting within the box is possible. This is just a rule of thumb of course and with additional weight additional protections should be added such as corner braces and solid packing materials such as foam sheets over peanuts.  

Also while USPS does take packages up to 70# this weight should only be used by very sturdy items. I deliver boxes that weigh 62# to a customer. These I know contain canned dog food, I asked just in case one got away from me. I also have one customer that reloads shotgun shells and gets bird shot and buck shot in boxes that come close to the max. 

I myself deal in vinyl records and often buy huge lots. I ask that they split them into 35# max boxes and offer to pay any additional postage this may cause.

As for your question as to who will recieve payment. If it was deamed poorly packaged then no one will. If the claim is paid you will but then you should already refunded the buyer.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If there is no case, there is no problem.

In most insurance claims, if approved, the payment goes to the person that shipped the item (even if the claim is opened by the receiver).

How do you know that it was approved and sent to the buyer?

I wouldn't refund until there is a SNAD case open, myself.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

All solved now. The claim information online was incorrect. They sent check to me...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

All solved now. The claim information online was incorrect. They sent check to me...

Now, as for packing it better. It was good enough. There were two layers of thick corrugated cardboard.

The damage was not due to drpping the package. Something went through it. Something like a narrow, sturdy pole. Maybe a bolt? Who knows. Gun shot wound 🙂

Message 5 of 5
latest reply