cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold an expensive item need help with shipping

I recently sold an item for $650. its small and light weight. my question is what shipping extra precautions should i take to help ensure buyer gets item safely and lessen my chances of them saying they didnt get it, etc? so far i want to use USPS and require signature for insurance. can i have usps wrap up the item for me?that way to avoid the whole "i revieced an empty box" situation? I under stand "dont sell anything you cant afford to lose" im ok if this got lost i just PREFER it doesnt lol ,  any help is welcome. thank you

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You use tracking to avoid the "didn't get it" claim. But the buyer can still claim it didn't match the description, and then return a box of rocks.

I wasn't aware that USPS would pack things. But even so, that wouldn't help you with eBay; you'd have to get postal inspectors involved.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Just one comment:  The shipping fee shown in the listing is w-a-y too low.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

lol what?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@priscilla_simpson wrote:

lol what?

The insurance alone will cost you what you charged for shipping. Add in postage, plus the signature confirmation you intend to use, and shipping charge is much too low.

But if you're making a big profit on the sale, you can afford it.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

USPS won't pack for you. UPS will and may have a guarantee of save arrival for some services. You can also purchase signature confirmation and insurance.  No way to 100% prevent the empty box situation. I do think you are les likely to experience this with a collectible then say new merchandise.

Stay proactive with your buyer. Track the and all should go well.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

i looked as buyer profile and it was created yesterday but they already have 7 positive feed backs? is that possible?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Yes, that's possible because many sellers leave feedback as soon as they are paid. Some even are set up to do it automatically.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Is this going to the US? I would wrap the cigarete case in tissue paper, then in bubble wrap and put it in a small Flat Rate Priority Mail box making sure you put packing tape over the flaps because they can get sticky and open up in this heat, and send it insured.

USPS won't wrap it.  And I wouldn't dream of letting a UPS store wrap anything. It doesn't protect you if it arrives damaged. Believe it or not they take no responsibility if their packaging is insufficient.  

Stick with insured Priority Mail.  If it's delivered outside the US some PM doesn't track.  (A small FR box or FR envelope to China doesn't provide tracking for example)

You might want to add signature delivery. Although it doesn't reach the threshold for it on eBay, if the seller files a not received claim with their credit card you would need signature delivery to fight a chargeback.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@priscilla_simpson wrote:

i looked as buyer profile and it was created yesterday but they already have 7 positive feed backs? is that possible?

Some sellers give feedback as soon as the buyer pays.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

What a lovely item! I'd ship it in a small flat rate box.  Signature isn't technically required for seller protection, for items up to $750, and will not provide any extra protection against claims of "not received" or "empty box." USPS will not package items for you.

Insurance through USPS will cost $11.15. That might be worth it for your peace of mind.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Insurance at that amount will require a signature that is not viewable online.Is USPS allowing even carriers to get signatures or are they still signing for receiver due to covid concerns?

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Is this going to the US? I would wrap the cigarete case in tissue paper, then in bubble wrap and put it in a small Flat Rate Priority Mail box making sure you put packing tape over the flaps because they can get sticky and open up in this heat, and send it insured.

If I sold an item like that, at that price, I'd give it more protection than a small flat rate box. Just MHO.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Double boxed with bubble wrap between the boxes will protect from shipping damage.  However, nothing will protect you from buyer fraud.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Have never heard of USPS packing and wrapping for a sender.

Have they done this for you before?

Message 15 of 20
latest reply