cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping with Bubble Mailers

Hello,

I’ve been reading different posts recently trying to find out the proper way to ship using stamps for certain situations. 

In the rare circumstance where I need to use stamps I was curious about the postage required for a small bubble mailer. 

The Bubble mailer I use is roughly 9 1/2 X 7 inches and my products range from 1 oz to 2 oz max. 

How many stamps would be required for a product weighing 1 oz? (Flat item)

How many stamps would be required for a product weighing 2 oz? (Pencil sized item)

Thank you all for your time! 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The postage for your envelope depends on factors like its thickness and flexibility. It could be eitehr a letter, a flat (AKA Large envelope) or a package, depending.

If it's not over 1/4 inch thick (which is very unlikely for a bubble envelope), it can be mailed as a letter, which costs 50 cents (or a Forever stamp) for 1 ounce and 71 cents for 2 ounces. If it's not flexible, then you have to pay a "nonmachinable surcharge" of 21 cents.

If it's over 1/4 inch thick but not over 3/4 inch thick, then it MIGHT be a "flat" (AKA Large envelope), but it must also be flexible and of "even thickness" which the USPS defines as a "variation in thickness not over 14 inch". So if your envelope has a pencil in it, it can't be mailed as a flat.  If it's flexible then you can mail it as a flat and the postage would be $1.00 for the first ounce plus 21 cents for each additional ounce.

If your item is over 1/4 inch thick and is rigid or lumpy, then it must be mailed as a package.  Postage for any weight up to 4 ounces costs $2.66 if you print your postage label through eBay, and $3.50 if you use stamps or pay at the counter.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your response. 

I just have a quick follow up question if you don't mind. 

So if my "pencil" product is slightly under an ounce I would need one stamp for the normal postage and another stamp to cover the nonmachinable surcharge?

I've shipped these products before with just 1 stamp and it arrived safetly. Was this a mistake by the post office?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Remember that the envelope must be no more than 1/4 inch thick in order to be mailed as a letter.   Here are the nonmachinable criteria:

A letter-size piece is nonmachinable if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.1.2 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

1. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.
  2. Is polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in any plastic material, or has an exterior surface made of a material that is not paper. Windows in envelopes made of paper do not make mailpieces nonmachinable. Attachments allowable under applicable eligibility standards do not make mailpieces nonmachinable.
  3. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.
  4. Contains items such as pens, pencils, keys, or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven; or loose keys or coins or similar objects not affixed to the contents within the mailpiece. Loose items may cause a letter to be nonmailable when mailed in paper envelopes; (see 601.3.3).
  5. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).
  6. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.
  7. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.
  8. Is a self-mailer that is not prepared according to 201.3.14.
  9. Is a booklet that is not prepared according to 201.3.16.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#ep1046732

Message 4 of 4
latest reply