cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping to Hawaii

Hi,   

I'm wondering why Sellers are reluctant to ship to Hawaii ? 

Is it because if it goes through the San Francisco hub there can be a delay ( sometimes up to 10 or 14 days ) ?

I've had packages delivered after 4 days from the East coast as long as they don't go through "the black hole" of the San Francisco hub.

I've learned to just be patient - it'll eventually get here. I no longer contact the Seller about it being late - it is just the way it is. 

Any answers?    Thank you

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Shipping to Hawaii

@marlasmil3 wrote:

Hi,   

I'm wondering why Sellers are reluctant to ship to Hawaii ? 

Is it because if it goes through the San Francisco hub there can be a delay ( sometimes up to 10 or 14 days ) ?

I've had packages delivered after 4 days from the East coast as long as they don't go through "the black hole" of the San Francisco hub.

I've learned to just be patient - it'll eventually get here. I no longer contact the Seller about it being late - it is just the way it is. 

Any answers?    Thank you

Well, first of all not ALL sellers are reluctant to ship top Hawaii (I'm not).

But, based on some of the comments I have seen on these boards, I can offer some maybes:

Some sellers have physically larger or heavy items that sort of have to go by UPS of FedEx , both of which are extraordinarily expensive to ship to Hawaii vs the lower 48. Which actually makes no sense because some sellers think that THEY are paying the shipping when in fact it is the buyer who pays the shipping. So it shouldn't make any difference to them.

Some east coast sellers mistakenly believe that even USPS is overly expensive (even though they are told repeatedly that it no different than shipping to California).

When first class mail (which ordinarily went by air) was replaced with Ground Advantage some sellers mistakenly assumed that USPS would take forever and as such they will get a Late Delivery defect.

Some sellers are just plain stupid and then complain about the lack of sales.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Shipping to Hawaii

This may not be the correct answer to your question, but, up until fairly recently, there were at least a few sellers who thought that Hawaii and/or Alaska would require international shipping and the consequent charges.  

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Shipping to Hawaii

@marlasmil3,

"I'm wondering why Sellers are reluctant to ship to Hawaii?"

Some may be reluctant to ship to Hawaii, because not that many years ago, ground packages went by ship from the west coast of the mainland, then by barge between islands.   Even if packages were going by air, there was often a delay because the shippers would not ship an air container until it was full and not as many airlines were carrying cargo.

Then there are the sellers who think if there is a delay in delivery they may get a late shipping defect on their accounts, not realizing, it is when the acceptance scan is given by a shipper is received, that determines if they shipped late or not. 

As soh.maryl wrote, there are some who think the 49th & 50th States and U.S. Territories incur international rates and may require customs declarations.  lolo haoles

Dah akamai kine know dey get plenty repeats if dey ship Hawaii,

Mele Kalikimaka a Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply