cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Charges Change January 2024! - Does eBay auto update our shipping costs on active listings?

When postage amounts change on January 21, 2024, will eBay "automagically" update all active listings to reflect these changes or will I need to edit every single listing to reflect the new charges?

Here is what USPS has posted for changes to postage on January 21, 2024:

On November 15, 2023, the United States Postal Service® filed notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) of Shipping Services price changes to take effect January 21, 2024.

USPS Ground Advantage™ prices would increase by 5.4 percent, Priority Mail® service prices would increase by 5.7 percent, and Priority Mail Express® service prices would increase by 5.9 percent. 

These proposed Shipping Services prices were approved by the Postal Service Board of Governors. The PRC will review the prices before they are scheduled to take effect.

On October 6, 2023, the United States Postal Service® filed notice with the PRC of Mailing Services price changes to take effect January 21, 2024. The new rates include a 2-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail® Forever® stamp from 66 cents to 68 cents. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shipping Charges Change January 2024! - Does eBay auto update our shipping costs on active listings?

Calculated shipping listings will should update. "automagically"

May be a little touchy on sale date vs ship date when doing labels.

If the buyer pays on Saturday they will pay Saturday rates. 

If you ship purchase your label on Monday you pay Monday rates. 

Grace period for shipping an item paid with old rates vs the actual day of acceptance...............  well 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

This happens every year; sometimes more than once per year.  The shipping calculator in eBay listings will automatically show new rates on the date that they go into effect; I'm not sure which time zone exactly.  That's one of the advantages of calculated shipping: sellers don't have to do any adjustments manually.  

As noted in the other post, the new rates go into effect on Sunday so if your buyer pays on Saturday they will  be charged the old rate. If the auction ends on Sunday or later, buyers will be charged the new rate even if they saw the old rate when they placed their bid earlier in the week.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If you charge by calculated rates you will probably be all right.   If you are charging a flat rate, however,  you may need to adjust your shipping prices or you could lose money.  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Has anyone noticed if their shipping policy didn't update?  I can't figure out what's going on since the beginning of the month.  I weigh everything before I label and ship it.  All of a sudden, I'm getting "postage due" emails for every 6th or 7th item I sell.  The weight difference is always saying it weighs about 4 oz more than I paid for, then I'm charge for it.  I know that I could make a mistake occasionally on the weight of something, but 5 items in one month?  Absolutely not. I've only ever had one thing weight differently and it was something I OVERPAID and was refunded.  What is going on?

Before anyone asks, I have checked the scale.  It is weighing correctly, so that's not the problem.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The price for the "eBay Standard Envelope up to $20" also went up in price. From $0.63 to $0.64. Not a terrible increase, but eBay has yet to update that when I go to make a new listing.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I just bulk went through my listing on anything that fits the 12 x 12 x 1 inch, 13 oz and under, to change in my store to the new USPS first class mail. EBAY will not fix your listings, as a 23 year veteran seller, always do things for yourself. In this case, USPS First class is limited, any listing in your USPS Ground that fits can be changed. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@gardencity_tradingpost wrote:

I just bulk went through my listing on anything that fits the 12 x 12 x 1 inch, 13 oz and under, to change in my store to the new USPS first class mail ...

There is no new First Class Mail service.  Since First Class package got absorbed into Ground Advantage, the remaining First Class services are letters and flats (AKA Large envelope). The latter option was recently added back onto the eBay listing form after being absent for a while.  In order to be mailed as a flat, an envelope  must be flexible, of even thickness (which USPS defines as variation in thickness not more than  1/4 inch) and dimensions "Not more than 15 inches long, or more than 12 inches high, or more than 3/4 inch thick."   

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#ep1002686

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This isn't working it charges someone $8 when shipping is $11 my last 4 sales have given that an absurdly low price. I guess I will have to manually set it now which doesn't help anyone.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@crity_crit wrote:

This isn't working it charges someone $8 when shipping is $11 ....

Did you set up your listing with calculated shipping based on accurate package weight AND dimensions?  A few months ago, eBay added access to USPS Cubic rates for Priority Mail (up to .5 cubic foot) and Ground Advantage (up to 1 cubic foot).  If the package dimensions as entered in the listing are smaller than the actual box, then your buyers might be undercharged.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply