cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring I bought is wrong color

I bought a turquoise ring. I had been looking for that style and COLOR for decades. I was looking for a sea foam green color. All the pictures showed the ring as sea foam green. When I got the ring the stone was very dark green blue. I am not satisfied with the ring because of the REAL color it is. 

I can see how it happened the flash reflected on the stone and washed it out. I feel sorry that I am not happy with the sale.
I would be willing to do whatever I can to protect the Seller...

What should I do? I have never had to return anything before. :(( Sugar 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Have you requested a Return? Maybe your seller allows that... reach out.

If the seller does not accept remorse returns, maybe you can resell it here or gift it. Good luck.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Mail order is not best when color is important. Lighting, camera, computer and monitor settings will all effect it.  Even the discount jewelers use blue lighting to make their yellow diamonds look better.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Sugar, you may want to study up on different types of turquoise stones and where they originate from if you are looking for that particular color. Exp. Kingman mines in Arz., produces a very beautiful soft baby blue color turquoise. Then you can advance your searches better if you include the name of the area and mine.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Afraid I'm not familiar with a sea foam green turquoise color.  I would probably expect to find that color in a jade.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Color is a hard thing to work with on-line. My first and only SNAD was due to color. Pink flowers in the fabric looked peach to the buyer. 

I collected gem stones for years, some stones are just all over the place in terms of color. My birthstone is amethyst and it is pretty stable color wise  in any jewelry store but it occurs anywhere from a near opaque black to pale pink, clear and even greens. 

I think your best bet is estate jewlery, though this may lean more toward the bubbly characteristic of seafoam rather than the color. This should also be more natural than modern enhanced or stablized pieces.  Myself I would love to have some pieces from the Crow Springs and Dry Creek mines. I like the red veining of the Crow Springs stones and the paleness of the Dry Creek. It's harder to pin point seafoam as it occures in many places.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You are so correct.  Used to work with professional photographers to get an almost an "exact color match" of  our products in a studio environment with very  expensive equipment (lighting, seamless back grounds, Hasselblad cameras and the like ).  Paid a lot of money but never quite got that exact match.    Don't think the average eBay seller has the equipment.  Plus as  humans many of us see certain colors differently than others.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@7606dennis. Actually dennis, there is a turquoise stone that color and a mine in my state produces it..Carico Lake mine in NV, OP may want to check that mine out.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@7606dennis. Actually dennis, there is a turquoise stone that color and a mine in my state produces it..Carico Lake mine in NV, OP may want to check that mine out.

Interesting!  Thank you for that information.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

imakesugar, if you have been looking for a sea foam green color turquoise for decades, are you sure it even exists?  Perhaps you are remembering something that might have not been what you think it was.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Looks to me that there  are many  shades of sea foam green  turquoise.

1.  Here are  some pics of a variety of jewelry and a little info

https://nativeamericanjewelrytips.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/what-is-seafoam-turquoise/

2.  And a color palette

seafoam.jpg

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hi @imakesugar 

I just wanted to point out that even if a seller is able to produce photos that perfectly matches the color of the ring as the seller sees it ... that doesn't mean that every buyer will see the same color when looking at the photos.

Remember that famous photo of a dress that some people saw as 'white and gold' ... while others saw it as 'navy and black'?  That is an excellent demonstration how very different people's perception can be for the same item.

If I am looking for a very specific color ... I always start off by contacting the seller and asking how 'true to life' the color in the photo is to the object in person.  That may not get me the exact color I want ... but I do much better than simply assuming the photo matches the object.  

As far as what you can do now ... I would contact the seller and ask if they would accept the return if you pay the return shipping and some fees.  Sellers lose serious money by having to accept a return ... and they appreciate a buyer who realizes that.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

Hi @imakesugar 

I just wanted to point out that even if a seller is able to produce photos that perfectly matches the color of the ring as the seller sees it ... that doesn't mean that every buyer will see the same color when looking at the photos.

Remember that famous photo of a dress that some people saw as 'white and gold' ... while others saw it as 'navy and black'?  That is an excellent demonstration how very different people's perception can be for the same item.

If I am looking for a very specific color ... I always start off by contacting the seller and asking how 'true to life' the color in the photo is to the object in person.  That may not get me the exact color I want ... but I do much better than simply assuming the photo matches the object.  

As far as what you can do now ... I would contact the seller and ask if they would accept the return if you pay the return shipping and some fees.  Sellers lose serious money by having to accept a return ... and they appreciate a buyer who realizes that.

I often include a matching crayola crayon color with the notation of if the color you are looking for is important please refer to to a box of Crayola Crayons in your area to see if this is the color you need.

I figure that just about anyone can check a box they own or look in one at a store.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply