cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Fraud

I have a buyer who bought a pair of eyeglasses (plastic, not wood or any other permeable material). They opened a return stating that the glasses smelled Iike perfume, and I rejected the return.

eBay allowed the buyer to return the item. I called eBay and they told me I could dispute the return when I receive the item if it was not as described by the buyer.

The buyer did not mail them to my address, I can see where the town that they were sent to via USPS tracking. eBay updated the return to Delivered (not clear why), has issued a refund to the buyer, and charged my paypal account. I filed a dispute several days ago when I saw the town on USPS before the change to Delivered and they closed the case regardless, today.

I’m not sure what to do- eBay is not helping, I don’t have the item I sold, and eBay is charging me. Any advice or similar experiences?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Return Fraud

Perfume CAN permeate plastic.

Check your addresses on your account.something might have glitched
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Return Fraud

OK, some hard advice for you.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, just don't shoot the messenger!laughing

A smell is a subjective thing and as such no way to prove it is false or not.  BUT a smell can be a valid reason for a SNAD case.  (especially if your listing states item comes from a smoke free home or mentions other odors/sources) 

So your first issue was that you rejected the return.  One needs to read up on your responsibilities as a seller as it comes to returns.  The best move, the one that creates the best buyer experience, is to accept all returns.  If you can get the buyer to pay return shipping - WIN.  If not, well it is the cost of doing business - ALL retail selling has to deal with returns, refunds, etc.

Now the fact that you rejected a return might have some bearing on eBays handling of the matter, right or wrong.  Usually when eBay sees a seller that is reluctant to accept a return, they will just refund the buyer with your funds and the buyer has the funds and your product.  So in some regards you were lucky that return shipping was required.

Now the fact that the package didn't get to you is curious.  As another posted you need to check  the addresses you have on file with eBay to make sure an old address isn't still in their system.  IF this is the case, then the package was sent where you directed and there is nothing eBay will do.

Address Check.jpg

Now another tool for the kit.  IF you take a tracking number (TN) to the USPS, a supervisor should be able to provide a printout of the GPS coordinates of where that TN was delivered AND the associated address.  That info is acceptable to eBay as evidence of misdelivery or non-receipt.  Perhaps that would help provide it wasn't one of your old addresses.

All you can do at this point is appeal the decision on the case if you have any appeals left with eBay.

But all of that said.... all of this could have been avoided by just accepting the return!

I know, not what anyone wants to hear, but often we pay a little "tuition" to learn some lessons in life.  Hopefully this tuition was just irritating and not life altering?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Return Fraud

@es0000 wrote:

The buyer did not mail them to my address, I can see where the town that they were sent to via USPS tracking. eBay updated the return to Delivered (not clear why), has issued a refund to the buyer, and charged my paypal account.

I filed a dispute several days ago when I saw the town on USPS before the change to Delivered and they closed the case regardless, today.

I'm with the others, @es0000. This is YOUR FAULT because eBay doesn't care where an item is delivered as long as the tracking says Delivered.

See this example -- eBay says it's Delivered, even though it was delivered back to the sender!

eBay Delivered to original sender.jpg

Don't bother checking your return address; whether it's correct or wrong doesn't matter.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Return Fraud

Not surprised.. people have figured out how to scam the system..likely, it went to one of their relatives.. it's the new in thing scamming.. I had it happen when I was on Etsy.. sold an expensive piece of jewelry to a customer.. it was signed for by a relative renting the house.. she claimed she doesn't live there anymore and filed a not received claim... because she filed it I fought it tooth and nail.. won the claim but she filed a chargeback w/ her CC company.. the relative renting forwarded the package to her in another state... I lost $1200 and the beautiful item b/c they scammed me... lesson learned.. and man, people these days are so nasty.. ugh 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Return Fraud

@no_zero369 wrote:

Now the fact that the package didn't get to you is curious.  As another posted you need to check  the addresses you have on file with eBay to make sure an old address isn't still in their system.  IF this is the case, then the package was sent where you directed and there is nothing eBay will do.

Not just your regular address's either, check the return address that is on file for your account.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Return Fraud

@unclejakx wrote:

Not surprised.. people have figured out how to scam the system..likely, it went to one of their relatives.. 

They don't even have to do that.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Return Fraud

If buyer used a label or address provided by ebay your issue is w ebay.Check the return details to see if it says what address buyer was given

If tracking states delivered it is because that is what usps says is the status not ebay .Ebay tracking just mirrors usps(sometimes w an time delay but it catches up)

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 8 of 8
latest reply