cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority mail insurance claim

Hello, This recently happed to me. I have been selling on eBay 10+ years and have in the past been reimbursed from USPS the full amount the buyer paid, item and postage. I sold a glass item 12/3/22 and refunded the buyer the full amount. USPS kept denying the claim. March 1, 2023, the post office refunded me the cost of the item NOT the insurance paid.  They referred (Domestic  Mail Manual 609.5.4), a lost package would be refunded, breakage in shipping is not refunded.  Ebay seller policy states, seller is to refund postage and cost of the item. Now I am deciding if I want to keep selling breakables on eBay.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Now I am deciding if I want to keep selling breakables on eBay.

@stuffgreat 

Before you throw in the towel, you might want to look into using safer shipping methods. Breakables still sell here successfully.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

USPS insurance has never (at least in the 20 years or so I was selling) covered the postage cost itself, only the item cost.

As far as selling breakables, one has to really, really pack well. It needs to be able to sustain brutal impacts and rough handling. I found that fragile items had to have a pretty good profit incentive to make it worth the hassle.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply