cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor packaging rant!

I have purchased quite a few stereo receivers in the last couple months, and I just want to rant about poor packaging. Some awesome sellers put tons of Styrofoam, bubble wrap, double boxing etc, and it could survive a 10ft drop. Others have sent them, which can weigh 20 lbs or more, with next to no protection, and they have arrived damaged. eBay got my money back each time, but I am tired of it. I just sent instructions on packaging to the last seller I made a purchase from, and they said they have their own way of packing. I looked and they have a feedback of 26 and have sold mostly shoes. 🙄  I am only trying to help them have a good experience in shipping, but It's 50/50 whether it arrives safely or not.  I usually do not give instructions, but I am trying to avoid another damaged item. And hey, it's mine after I paid for it, should they not pack it how I wish?  'rant over' LOL

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Poor packaging rant!

We may be discussing a topic that will spur another drug commercial...

"Do you often suffer from anxiety and rage when opening your mailbox? If so, ask your doctor about paxitwrong... 500 mg... For treatment of anxiety and anger due to,having your items treated like a traction mat.... "

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

@spark-chaser1 wrote:

We may be discussing a topic that will spur another drug commercial...

"Do you often suffer from anxiety and rage when opening your mailbox? If so, ask your doctor about paxitwrong... 500 mg... For treatment of anxiety and anger due to, having your items treated like a traction mat.... "

@spark-chaser1   Prescription only right?!? LOVE the humor!!!  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

"... Side affects may include:

- Sensitivity to broken glass sounds

- cuts and bleeding from sharp edges

- profane language..."

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

Hey! This is a really valid concern! Why don't you email Stefanie Jay about this? This person is eBay's Chief Business Officer and I think Stefanie would be a really great person to email about this issue. Let me know how it goes! I really hope that Stefanie adds a packing guide or something to the seller page. Don't you?

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

@assorteditemsnow wrote:

Hey! This is a really valid concern! Why don't you email Stefanie Jay about this? This person is eBay's Chief Business Officer and I think Stefanie would be a really great person to email about this issue. Let me know how it goes! I really hope that Stefanie adds a packing guide or something to the seller page. Don't you?

@assorteditemsnow   If you have her email address then send her one with a link to this thread ... it's one thing for people to read how to do something, it's another for them to actually do it successfully ... 

Regards,
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

@mr_lincoln So agreed! I will email her a link to this thread.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

@assorteditemsnow wrote:

@mr_lincoln So agreed! I will email her a link to this thread.

@assorteditemsnow   Excellent and thank you ... I hope to eventually launch a YouTube channel ... I already have footage of making boxes but not packing, just making different size boxes by various methods.  One on packaging suggestions makes good sense ... on my list of things to do.

Regards,
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

I think it all comes down to the seller not really caring. Once I bought 3 books off a big book seller on Ebay.  buy 2, get one free. So needless to say, I was curious on how they would ship the books. All 3 books LOOSE in a plastic bag! And the plastic bag was ripped open when it was delivered, but luckily none of the books were damaged or lost. I over pack items. Had 2 or 3 items damaged since 1999. Some things are just too fragile to ship though. Especially thin glass items. Sometimes just the shock, even if there is no movement of the glass item, will cause them to break.. I wrap fragile items in bubble wrap, and tape down the bubble wrap. BUT, I fold over one end of the tape and put a black X on it so the buyer will know where the end is. 

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Poor packaging rant!

@deserdog wrote:

Some things are just too fragile to ship though. Especially thin glass items. Sometimes just the shock, even if there is no movement of the glass item, will cause them to break.. I wrap fragile items in bubble wrap, and tape down the bubble wrap. BUT, I fold over one end of the tape and put a black X on it so the buyer will know where the end is. 

I've shipped lots of blown glass Christmas ornaments and never had one damaged, but they HAVE to be double-boxed. Wrap the ornament in bubble wrap and put it in a small box with tissue paper to hold it in place/pad it, and then place the small box in a larger box full of packing peanuts. The double-boxing cushions the impact so the shock won't break the item inside.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply