cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative feedback for slow shipping

I sold something listed as economy shipping. The buyer contacted me angry that it hasn't arrived and threatened to give me negative feedback. Then called me a dishonest person for some reason. 

Will ebay allow the negative feedback to go through given that I dispatched it within 24hrs and will arrive within 2-9 business days as promised under economy shipping? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

nothing real thing can happens, estimate delivery is just estimate

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Most buyers don't understand that "Economy" means slow and cheap.  They also don't understand that 2 days is for local delivery and 9 days is for coast-to-coast.   Except for Media Mail where appropriate, I do not bother with anything less than 1st class. For books, I always offer several options -- buyer's choice whether cost or speed is more important. Of course the buyer can leave negative feedback.  That's what buyers do -- blame the seller for their own mistake in selecting 3rd or 4th class service. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

In the future you may wish to offer additional shipping options.  You could make the economy free and charge accordingly for first class, express and priority express.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

BTW.... If they give you a negative, it MAY be removeable.... Buyer threatening negative FB over something not included in the listing.  The shipping was advertised as economy and 2 to 9 days delivery and you shipped it with economy shipping within your stated processing time.  I would think that as long as it does actually arrive within that time frame, they MAY consider it.

Blink Blink
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@pinupsplus wrote:

BTW.... If they give you a negative, it MAY be removeable.... Buyer threatening negative FB over something not included in the listing.  The shipping was advertised as economy and 2 to 9 days delivery and you shipped it with economy shipping within your stated processing time.  I would think that as long as it does actually arrive within that time frame, they MAY consider it.

Yep I would definitely call. It's worth a shot. Worst that can happen is they refuse to remove the feedback. Now sometimes it's best NOT to reply to a negative feedback as it makes it more visible on your feedback profile but you could, if you wanted to, leave a professional responses saying "bought and paid xx/xx, shipped x/xx received /xx that way anyone looking at your feedback will know your buyer was unreasonable.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The buyer contacted me angry that it hasn't arrived and threatened to give me negative feedback. Then called me a dishonest person for some reason. 

Did you send the buyer the tracking number?  Does it show an acceptance scan within your handling time?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@pinupsplus wrote:

Yep I would definitely call. It's worth a shot. Worst that can happen is they refuse to remove the feedback. Now sometimes it's best NOT to reply to a negative feedback as it makes it more visible on your feedback profile but you could, if you wanted to, leave a professional responses saying "bought and paid xx/xx, shipped x/xx received /xx that way anyone looking at your feedback will know your buyer was unreasonable.

I go round and round with peeps on responding to negative and neutrals.  Some people thing it brings attention to it.  How much more attention could there be since all you have to do is click a button and see every one of them.  As a buyer when I see a negative or neutral that hasn't been addressed I assume that either the buyer was 100% right about the comment, OR that the seller just didn't care about it. 

On the other hand, if you can't keep your replies professional, rational and unemotional, perhaps it is better to just ignore it.  Nothing makes me hit the "back" button faster than seeing a seller calling a buyer a LIAR, SCAMMER, THIEF.  There are ways to can professionally get your point across without resorting to name calling.

Offered full refund including return shipping, opted to keep

Wanted partial refund, offered full refund upon return

Opted for economy shipping, unhappy it took too long to arrive

Blink Blink
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I got a neg for this very situation. Estimated delivery was in 9 days cross country (about as far as you can get). Buyer received it in 7 days and left a neg saying for the amount of money she paid (actual costs) I should have sent it faster.  Slow boat was about $30,  Priority would have been $95.00 And WAS an option in the listing.

Got on the phone and CS removed it while I was on the phone.

So yes, something CS gets it and does the right thing.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I explained to the buyer about the economy shipping. They replied saying that I am a scammer because I placed that in the "fine print" without informing them that it's economy. He's using some heavy language. I don't know when is eBay going to protect us sellers from such nonesense instead of enabling such bafoons, espacailly if the customer throws wild accusations and makes very bad feedback threats. eBay needs to realize that we the seller are very valuable and we can only tolarate so much (other seller platforms are growing and I can easily switch). Naturally eBay can't weed out such customers. By enabling I meant allowing them to leave negative feedback and undermine the fairness system. I had to give him a special offer so he won't leave negative feedback. Most recently I had to refund a customer his whole purchase so he can remove a negative feedback of an item he purchased 42 days ago (took 3 days to arrive so he had it 39 days) and then claimed it was defective and requested a return. So now I have to go beyond the 30day money back gurantee? 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@dealsagent wrote:

I explained to the buyer about the economy shipping. They replied saying that I am a scammer because I placed that in the "fine print" without informing them that it's economy. He's using some heavy language. I don't know when is eBay going to protect us sellers from such nonesense instead of enabling such bafoons, espacailly if the customer throws wild accusations and makes very bad feedback threats. eBay needs to realize that we the seller are very valuable and we can only tolarate so much (other seller platforms are growing and I can easily switch). Naturally eBay can't weed out such customers. By enabling I meant allowing them to leave negative feedback and undermine the fairness system. I had to give him a special offer so he won't leave negative feedback. Most recently I had to refund a customer his whole purchase so he can remove a negative feedback of an item he purchased 42 days ago (took 3 days to arrive so he had it 39 days) and then claimed it was defective and requested a return. So now I have to go beyond the 30day money back gurantee? 

And that's why he did it.  You just rewarded a scammer.

You actually just admitted to feedback manipulation which is a violation as much as feedback extortion.

You need to hang out on the boards more to find out how to deal with these sorts of things.  If eBay catches you refunding to get a seller to remove a negative, you won't be selling very long here.

Blink Blink
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I had to give him a special offer so he won't leave negative feedback. Most recently I had to refund a customer his whole purchase so he can remove a negative feedback of an item he purchased 42 days ago

You are paying buyers to revise negatives?

Yeah, that really helps.  Rewarding buyers for leaving negative feedback.

Also against eBay policy - feedback extortion. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Feedback extortion isn't when I try to please an angry customer especially if I'm answering to their request. The offer wasn't monetary. I don't offer returns but I made an exception for him. There's a fine line between extortion and resolving the issue to remove negative feedback. eBay themselves encourage you to resolve issues if you want your neg feedback removed. I called ebay seller support regarding the customer which was refunded. I asked them to remove the negative feedback but they told me they can't do that. They just told me to resolve the issue by meeting his demand which is accepting a return well past 40days but I just cancelled the order to avoid further loses on return shipping. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Definitely need shipping options...I'm waiting 12 days for something right now. FedEx Ground sucks.  This is much too long in the day of overnight or 2 day shipping.  I'd rather pay a bit more (and often it really isnt more) on other sites.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

if buyer has threaten you to leave negative feedback before leaving feedback then do not worry you will be protected as buyer already shown his intention to do it which is against ebay policy and fall under threaten someone. i have face two cases like that and i was protected for negative feedback, report this buyer and call cs and just first of all tell them that buyer is trying to threaten you for negative feedback. its very straight case.

Here is a point, even if shipment is late, and if buyer threaten seller then seller will be protected because no body is allow to threaten someone on ebay. 

Do not respond buyer and call cs right away .

Message 15 of 16
latest reply