cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Pet Peeve for the New Year: I really hate Cheapskates!

I had a  buyer this week ask me why my shipping was so expensive.  This was for  4 ounce package going from California to Connecticut.  I replied, Good question.  Check with USPS and you will see that my shipping charge is exactly what they charge for your location.   In addition, I took a screen shot from the USPS web site showing the exact postal charge for her zip code and attached it with my reply.   This buyer also asked for a 25% discount on my item, which I accepted.   It got there in 3 business days.  SURPRISE!  The buyer left positive feedback,  but still complained the shipping should be less expensive. 

Frankly,  these cheapskates are just annoying and are clueless over what it costs to ship a package.   They can easily go to any of the carrier websites to see what it costs to ship, but they are lazy too.  One of the reasons I don't just add my postage to the item price, and list with free shipping is because when buyers make offers I want it to be for the item only.    I don't use Best Offers on my listings nor do I usually accept offers, but  there are times when I do have some leeway.   However,  I don't offer discounts on shipping since this is a fixed expense. 

These same people don't understand that you can't always offer discounted shipping when purchasing multiples because the total weight can push what was originally a First Class Mail parcel to a 2 pound Priority Mail  package as the new shipping weight exceeds First Class postage due to their combined weight. 

I also note that even when you have the lowest price for a particular item these cheapskates still try to grind you, and whine when you say no.  It's a mystery to me that buyers don't realize we are selling to make money, and that we had to pay for the merchandise we sell.   The ones that really make me laugh  have told me after I've declined their price to message them if I don't sell my item so that I can accept their lowball offer.   

I saw a post recently where a seller received negative feedback because the buyer was unhappy that they didn't get a bigger discount off the original price.  It seems to me that eBay should remove that type of feedback since the buyer is rating the seller on something that wasn't offered in the listing. 

And now my wish for The New Year is that eBay would actually implement policies that offer sellers some real protection from false claims and scammers.  Their current policies are the reason I no longer sell any type of consumers electronics here or anything of high value.   Although it may take longer I only sell these items locally for cash or on Facebook.   I don't sell internationally either.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

You have learned your lessons well. Don't let the bottom-feeders get you down.

Pet Peeve. Offering 50 percent off the price of a buy it now item. Get those here and probably a remnant of the old ebay garage sale mentality. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I'm not listing right now. I pulled everything when covid hit and we started getting slammed with packages at work (USPS). 

But, when I do list (after many buyers like you posted about and worse) I went to pretty much Free Shipping on everything except my Media ID. Yes, due to outlandish combined shipping requests I split my listings by catagory under a few ID's. (Seriously a lady got upset because I wouldn't combine a 10# antique barn pulley with a bone china tea set).

What I do is add what I have in the item+ my fees (including FVF based on trending price)+30% min profit+ shipping to zone 8, this equals starting auction price. Add another 30% on top of that for a BIN price. If this doesn't come out under trending price  I may include the item in a 'lot' or list for a bit less depending on the item. It is easy to combine some books or Tee shirts, not so much with a figurine.  Anyway doing Free Shipping does give them one less avenue to complain about.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I am an honorable cheapskate. Which is why I sell here and dont buy. I get what I need cheaper myself so I dont have to pay shipping. 

I took a look though at your listings and I would say your shipping is not high but not low either on average. A few were high and there's options to ship cheaper. 

You state you charge exactly what cost is to buyer location. Well I mail often to CA and it's not that much for necklaces or small 1st class items. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

"It's a mystery to me that buyers don't realize we are selling to make money, and that we had to pay

for the merchandise we sell. "

The thrill for these types are they bagged the goods at a lower price.

Just be glad you are not married to them.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I suspect most everyone feels US shipping is  high, unfortunately items shipped from China continue to enjoy extremely favorable subsidized shipping rates.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Not all are selling to make money, some are selling to get rid of clutter, & their no longer wanted items.

Some buyers realize a seller likey may only have actually paid only ten cents on the dollar & view that seller as being immensely greedy

The solution is to offer your items for sale where buyers have deep pockets, don't mind paying top dollar or care about overpaying 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Not all are selling to make money, some are selling to get rid of clutter, & their no longer wanted items.

Some buyers realize a seller likey may only have actually paid only ten cents on the dollar & view that seller as being immensely greedy

The solution is to offer your items for sale where buyers have deep pockets, don't mind paying top dollar or care about overpaying 

If you want to declutter your house you can always drop the stuff at GoodWill or the Salvation Army.  Some of these will even come pick-up items.  

Frankly I may only spend 10 cents on the dollar but I also spend sometimes 3 to 4 hours at an auction , which I drove to, probably after putting in a full day at work. Then I have to load them, take them home, clean them, repair them, list them, pack them, and ship them.

Cost isn't ever just what you hand over in exchange for the item.  I sat in the cold wind at a outside estate sale FOR 6 FREAKING HOURS for 2 pictures, a couple musical instruments ( I always try to get them to donate to the school), and some dishes that I spotted on the walk around. 2 sets, one Lamode, and one Noritake. I got both boxes on a table run for probably $10 or so They were filty newspaper in between wasn't yellowed but brown, papers dated to the late 80's and I found mouse nests and one petrified mouse. They were so dirty that I hosed them off outside and washed them the first time in a Rubbermaid tub out there before bringing them to the kitchen sink. Made over $500 selling them to replacements.com

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Pet Peeve. Offering 50 percent off the price of a buy it now item. Get those here and probably a remnant of the old ebay garage sale mentality. 

I agree. Some people are just stuck in the year 2000 when first class was half the cost it is now.

I've had a few buyers call me out to say there are cheaper ways to ship large boxes...but when I inquire as to what these are...they go silent.

DW has really forced me cut down on selling large items.  

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

People who don't ship things regularly have no clue as to the cost of shipping. That said, don't justify your shipping costs. They are what they are and if buyers don't like those costs, they can move on to another seller.  The more you engage with them, the more they realize they've got a sucker on the line, and the more they'll hammer away until they get that discount, and once they get that discount they won't stop.

Don't try to have the lowest price - you are guaranteed to get bottom feeders that way.

If you get negged and it can't be removed, construct a calm, rational reply and make  your buyer look difficult while making yourself look good.  Savvy buyers look at the feedback left, not just feedback received.  Far too many sellers shoot themselves in the foot with crazy, hot headed replies to negs.

Sellers need to stand up for themselves. Don't depend on someone else to do it for you. Learn to say no to irrational demands. 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Actually I disagree because you forget that all sellers are also paying fees for their shipping charge.  You have to add that percentage back in to break even.     Those costs need to be considered when deciding  to sell any item.  Packaging materials aren't free either.   Transaction fees and material expenses are fixed costs and each seller has to decide where to add those costs in. 

Sellers in  eBay's managed payments program are actually paying higher fees now since eBay has begun deducting their fees on the total transaction. When you check the real numbers the average percentage deducted has been 14%  for most goods and 18% on books.  eBay's seller hub gives you a break down the percentage of seller's costs of shipping and taxes.  It's been averaging between 36-42%.  Your shipping costs depend on which carrier is used and method.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

There are thrifty people, and there are cheapskates - two different breeds.  Most cheapskates are delusional - no thanks.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Unfortunately, we are experiencing  buyer who are in the Amazon era.    With Amazon prime almost everything is free shipping; literally even if it is a paper clip.  Online sales has evolved to free shipping on everything over a certain limit cost.  Most big box stores have followed suit to compete with Amazon.  Most high volume online sellers get 15-75% discounts from various shippers.  Most of us do not have this luxury discount volume shipping.  Seller like you and I can't offer extreme discounts or have to offer a lower shipping cost at a loss. What is worse is that ebay/paypal charges us fees on shipping cost.  Back to the Amazon influence;  Many online buyer want or even expect free shipping because they are use to it. They have no idea or don't give a dang about what we have to absorb out of our pockets on shipping.  These "bottom feeders" are part of the new era.  Funny thing is that these bottom feeders don't complain about items that are cheaper than most online sellers.  I block buyers that make stupid comments about my shipping cost. I will inform the buyer when asked about my shipping cost of the expenses that I have to deal with as a seller; most buyers understand then.  I sometimes block buyers that complain about my shipping after purchasing the item.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I didn't forget sellers pay fees on shipping.  My packing materials are basically free. Ebay store sellers get coupons where I buy envelopes and all the bubble wrap, padded mailers, air pillows, boxes are free for me. They are everywhere plus people give me them. So no costs for me there. 

Yes it's up to you on where you want to pad your costs. If your padding them as you state then go ahead and tell that to the buyer. Dont say oh its exact cost and send a screenshot. 

She knows what's up and gave her opinion right back at ya again. Instead you are still trying to defend it. No defense needed. You charge and pad it due to your costs. 

Be honest about it with the buyer. We here know all this already. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply