cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mail USPS ..... price increase.

These frequent price increases by USPS are driving me insane. I recently went from shipping my 45rpm records (4oz) from 100% 1st Class Mail to Media Mail because 1st class had become too pricey.

WELL, now Media Mail a 4oz package from MA to OH is more costly than 1st Class. **bleep**?!?!

shipping.png

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You do know you can do a bulk change to your listings.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Yes, we had the same on a label today.  For certain weight(s), 1st class makes more sense.

Just like with Priority discount being cheaper than parcel post in some cases.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@jda15121 wrote:

You do know you can do a bulk change to your listings.

Yes, but I can't change the body of my listings in bulk. I have a pricing chart inside my listing. Which I've given up on change now that I have over 1,000 listings and eBay wants me to add all these Item Specifics as well.

Bout to give it all up.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I've been shipping some textbooks lately via Media Mail and am considering removing the option. It is soooooooooooo slow.

If the price increase is, as you say, even more incentive to drop it.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

When I ship an automotive manual set that weighs 6 lbs, Media is the only option that makes any sense.  I think the textbooks may have the same issue.  Unless it happens to fit in a flat rate box. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Media price increase went into effect Sunday (likely today for Ebay). Saturday I purchased shipping label for Media at $3.45 - 1lbs 14oz package 12" LP - changed the date to Monday price changed to $3.81 - changed it back to Saturday $3.45. Typical mailing for vinyl 12" (we rarely do 7" vinyl) are between $3.45 - $4.01 depending on LP, DLP, Single Jacket or Gatefold with extras with weights between 1lbs 9oz - 2 lbs 5oz for one vinyl record. That cost will now be $3.81 - $5.01 and then up if shipping more then one vinyl (which is common for us). These prices are increased yet still better then purchasing at Post office retail counter where cost can start at $5. 

Adjust your prices as needed, but as advise add bit more to cover cost of increasing box costs, boxes we use (not those horrid "multi-depth LP" boxes sold on ebay/amazon - we use real boxes have increased to $65-$75 a bundle from $49 start of the year. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

I've been shipping some textbooks lately via Media Mail and am considering removing the option. It is soooooooooooo slow.

you consider 4-5 day average slow? Been shipping Media over 20 years, media mail at longest take 7 days and normally anywhere in immediate US is 4-5 days. Our buyers always use Media option (included in the price) never ever select priority option and no one, not one person has ever complained about delivery time. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@gkn29 wrote:

you consider 4-5 day average slow? Been shipping Media over 20 years, media mail at longest take 7 days and normally anywhere in immediate US is 4-5 days. Our buyers always use Media option (included in the price) never ever select priority option and no one, not one person has ever complained about delivery time. 

I think Media Mail shipping time varies on where you ship out of, my P.O. has a lot of items that go into Media. However, if you're a location with low population your P.O. might not ship out right away.  Just my take on it.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

AND.... I don't know why the Moderator felt the need to take this topic out of Seller's category??? 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Why did I have to buy my media mail label for a 10 oz package at 3.19 when the buyer only paid 2.89? It should be the same?

Kathy1960

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I also include shipping info (cost) within the body of my listings.  An alternative way to offset the increased shipping cost might be to do a BULK price increase (50 cents or whatever) on your listings.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@james8728 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@gkn29 wrote:

I think Media Mail shipping time varies on where you ship out of, my P.O. has a lot of items that go into Media. However, if you're a location with low population your P.O. might not ship out right away.  Just my take on it.

Ok, I'm in Wyoming, a state with the lowest number of people (less then million entire state) but my media mail packages deliver within 4-5 days usually. I moved here from NJ and PA, some most populated states and delivery for media was 4-5 days usually. It can take longer, longest is 7-9 days depending on day sent. Last year, during xmas, some media packages took 11 days, but guess what? All Priority packages took 6-15 days + during that time - for Priority - media moves through the system the same way but generally when packages get delayed it is usually because they are between facilities, sitting on a semi waiting to be unloaded. That can happen with any method. Further, I get packages incoming all the time from all over the US by suppliers where they are sent Media and they take 4-5 days to arrive on average, sometimes then take less, I had large media package deliver to me from Dallas, TX last week in 3 days -> 3 days - not common for media but it went super fast through the system.   

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@kathy1960 wrote:

Why did I have to buy my media mail label for a 10 oz package at 3.19 when the buyer only paid 2.89? It should be the same?

Kathy1960

Because the buyer paid at the old rate and you paid at the new rate.  Generally this means that he paid on Saturday or sooner and you purchased your label Sunday or since then.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I would suggest selecting media mail/actual cost for the shipping method when creating your listings, then when you go to print the label, if you see first class is cheaper, select that option instead. Then you can contact the buyer, if you wish, and let them know it is going via first class instead of media mail...that should make your buyer happy and maybe earn you some "bonus points".

Message 15 of 20
latest reply