cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in "Undeliverable Address"?

I've only sold about 100 items in the past four months. But more than 5% of those items are returned to me in the mail due to an "undeliverable address" or similar. When that happens I always double check the shipping address is correct and contact the buyer.  But the buyer doesn't respond. I sold a lot on eBay years ago and don't remember this happening often at all. Have you guys seen an increase in "undeliverable address" or similar? If so, what are the possible explanations for the increase? Thx

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@baltimore_luke,

I think your question would receive more answers had you posted it on the Selling board.  This is not really a shipping issue it is a selling issue.

I cannot understand why this is happening or figure out any reason for it. I have racked my mind trying to figure out if this is some form of scam or sport buying, but those possibilities do not make sense. The only one that does is someone is trying to mess with your listings possibly a competitor, but there are other ways they could do that without tying up their money.

You say you have checked the orders to make sure the address on the order and label match up, but have you checked the zip code on those orders to see if it matches the city and state where the item was supposed to be delivered? Are the addresses from the same general area? What about the buyer's feedback are these all new (0) feedback or yellow star buyers?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yeah, so the zip codes are all different. And the buyers are all new buyers with only a few feedback.

I actually do have a possible explanation. But I didn't want influence any answers. I think it's possible these people are buying with stolen credit card information and making small, inconspicuous purchases to make sure the information is good. But that's just speculation. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Different carriers may have specific address format requirements. A correctly formatted address for one carrier might be deemed undeliverable by another.
The rise in online shopping, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic, led to a higher volume of packages in the mail. This increase in volume can result in more instances of address-related problems.
Encourage buyers to double-check their shipping address during the checkout process to minimize typographical errors.
Prompt buyers to update their eBay account with their current shipping address, especially if they've recently moved.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply