cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Expedited Shipping' via Priority Mail, but seller waits 5 days to ship it?

The item was two pillow covers from Pottery Barn, with USPS PM being the only shipping option. Fine, I can handle that. Nothing needed to be made, nor even wrapped to protect against breakage, so presumably the seller would simply fold 'em up, box them in a free USPS Priority Mail Box, print the label and drop it off at the PO, day or night. 

The seller waited five days to do that. Two of those days were the weekend, but I'm an online retailer, and know that this sort of shipment is very easy to get accomplished in far less than 5 days. 

Does ebay have a policy on 'handling time' for such situations? I wrote the seller once I saw the damning info on the tracking link (which I had to request, because they had not used the ebay system for their label apparently), requesting a shipping adjustment due to the delay in shipping an 'Expedited' item, and they have not replied.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

"Expedited" refers to the choice of shipping service, not to how fast the seller will do their part of the job.

When a seller sets up a listing, they must choose a specific handling time, but that often is not revealed  by eBay in the listing.  eBay's policy is that the only time you have any shipping-related recourse is if the package doesn't arrive within the estimated shipping date, you can file an "Item not received" claim.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Did you check the tracking number directly on the USPS site?  There have been times when an item was mailed before the date shown on eBay.

The seller sets the  handling time in their listings and are supposed to ship within that time so if they had a handling time of 3 business days they shipped on time. The handling time is not always showing in the listing but the estimated delivery time would be based on the handling time entered.  The only time EBay requires that a seller has a short (same day or 1 day) handling is when the sellers has a listing with the TRSplus badge.

Sellers may be penalized if they do not send an item out within their handling time.

Edit-  obviously I type MUCH slower than eclipse.  I'm going to blame my iPad this time. 🙂

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I just contacted a seller about that. I told them why offer priorityshipping if the handling time is 5 days. problem is parcel is not cheaper

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the response. I did check it on the actual USPS site, as I've had that same issue of conflicting data when shipping via Etsy—the Etsy tracking system is not always synched up, and items can be in transit before that's reflected in their tracking link.

So, I'm dealing with a lazy shipper basically, and there's no recourse against someone who just runs down the clock rather than getting things out expediantly—got it ;). Feedback will reflect that.

I'm taking it as a valuable reminder in my own business: Go overboard to get things out fast. It matters.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Speaking for myself, I work so I ship all my packages two days a week - Tuesday and Saturday.  Im not making anything either but those are the days I find time to go to the PO.  I give myself a 5 day handling time and try to post sooner but I work. Other folks have kids, take the bus, or have a mail carrier who is an idiot and doesnt take the packages off the porch.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Makes sense. What was missing in the listing I bought from was any clarification of actual 'handling time', meaning how long they would take to sit on my money until they feel like throwing my stuff in an actual box and getting it the heck to the PO, lol. I'll ask that very important question the next time I'm relying on "expedited" for anything other than actual transit time.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@miasirenity wrote:
 ... So, I'm dealing with a lazy shipper basically, and there's no recourse ....

As noted above: If the seller's handling time was 3 business days, then he did not ship late. Did the package arrive within the estimated delivery dates?

Thanks for posting.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Ah, found the handling time. It stated: "Will usually ship within 2 business days of receiving cleared payment."

I guess I was an 'unusual' case, extending it to 3 days.

It's understandable, as pointed out above, that some people limit their trips to the PO. Personally, as a retailer, I set a higher standard for myself to keep customer satisfaction high, and buyer frustration at an absolute minimum. I can drive by a post office while doing errands—or, when the package is small, simply drop it in the neighborhood mailbox. I recognize the value of customer perception, which the word "expedited" certainly implies. Listing a 'handling time' might protect you legally and technically, but it doesn't protect against negative feelings brewing on the part of an anxious buyer.
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

So, I'm dealing with a lazy shipper basically, and there's no recourse against someone who just runs down the clock rather than getting things out expediantly—got it .   Feedback will reflect that.

Feedback will reflect that?  You've decided that before even hearing from a seller who technically shipped you Pillow Covers 1 date later than advertised?  Okay. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@miasirenity wrote:
Ah, found the handling time. It stated: "Will usually ship within 2 business days of receiving cleared payment."

I guess I was an 'unusual' case, extending it to 3 days.

It's understandable, as pointed out above, that some people limit their trips to the PO. Personally, as a retailer, I set a higher standard for myself to keep customer satisfaction high, and buyer frustration at an absolute minimum. I can drive by a post office while doing errands—or, when the package is small, simply drop it in the neighborhood mailbox. I recognize the value of customer perception, which the word "expedited" certainly implies. Listing a 'handling time' might protect you legally and technically, but it doesn't protect against negative feelings brewing on the part of an anxious buyer.

And this: The seller waited five days to do that. Two of those days were the weekend, but I'm an online retailer, and know that this sort of shipment is very easy to get accomplished in far less than 5 days

What you are doing is comparing yourself to someone else.  It is great that you set your standards high - I do that myself, however, I would never begrudge any seller just because I have a one (1) day handling time while others have 3-5 or more.  I have no idea how their lives are, could be working, going to school, caring for an elderly family member, the list could go on.  But I do appreciate your post and will make a mental note to myself 😉 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I appreciate your perspective, as well, and will 'temper my temper' in the future, to make allowances for complicated lives. But I will always aim to be a retailer who causes the least amount of negative blips on my buyers' radar ;).
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Checking this seller's negative feedback, shipping delays and lack of timely communication have been a pattern. I should have taken that into account before buying, in terms of managing expectations.

And yes, negative feedback is something I would expect if I failed to alert a buyer that I was running behind. It's called courtesy and respect. They deserve it, and I'd better deliver if I expect my feedback rating to reflect my reliability.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

A seller should ship on time - Got it. 

Personally I would never leave unfavorable feedback because of a 1 day shipping delay, but to each their own. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Handling time was 2 business days, and they neglected to communicate that they'd run over. Had they done so, I'd have felt respected and informed. Package is in transit, but I'd not fault the seller for anything that happens once it's in the hands of USPS. The issue is handling time and communicating about delays. Their previous feedback indicates there have been multiple issues. I should've read that feedback before ordering. Lesson learned.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply