cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does First Class really stop at 17 ounces, not 16?

I continually read that FC rates aren't good on anything at or above 16 ounces.  However, when printing eBay labels, I find that FC is offered at sixteen ounces, with the cutoff at 17 ounces.  If I go to the USPS website, it reads that FC is only for 15.99 and below.  

I usually go with FC at sixteen ounces - amazing how many packages are at that weight.  I haven't seen any after-shipment price adjustments from the USPS for this issue.  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

I continually read that FC rates aren't good on anything at or above 16 ounces.  However, when printing eBay labels, I find that FC is offered at sixteen ounces, with the cutoff at 17 ounces. 

That is a simple rounding convenience. eBay's system does not allow for "15.999" so it defaults to 16 ounce with the understanding it is actually 15.999. When you print the label it should say 15.999 NOT 16 oz or 1 lb.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

15.01  oz to 15.99 is charged 16 oz rate. That is the maximum weight you can ship First Class.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"when printing eBay labels, I find that FC is offered at sixteen ounces, with the cutoff at 17 ounces."

I doubt that you saw any cutoff at 17 ounces.   USPS says that anything above 15.99 ounces is not eligible for First Class package shipping. If you saw otherwise, it must have been an eBay error.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hey @powell-memorabilia  go ahead and ship that 17 ounce package as a FC Package! 😛  After all what is the worst that could happen⁉️?  The error gets caught by the USPS APV system, upgrades the package to Priority Mail and you get a nasty back charge 💰💸 in your monthly invoice?  Meh, maybe you'll get lucky? 🤑

humour cap day?🤔

Message 5 of 5
latest reply