cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus Pandemic Making US Sellers Even More Vulnerable to Buyer Abuse

I've always known that eBay sellers are at an extreme disadvantage compared to buyers using eBay. However, my recent experience processing an INAD return (for a partially damaged item) for a UK buyer (whose intent from the start, I was weeks ago convinced, was to keep the item and collect a refund) brought to light some issues I think US sellers might not be aware of.  First some background. Return was started on March 11.  Because I wasn't able to print a label through the site, the buyer agreed to either let me know the shipping cost (for which I would refund him immediately) or wait for a full refund (plus shipping) upon sending the item back. 

After a few days passed (during which the buyer messaged me with concerns about trying to ship the item during the pandemic), eBay gave the buyer until March 20 to return the item. Fine. March 20 comes and goes with no contact from the buyer. End of March arrives and buyer informs me, out of the blue that eBay CS recommends I set up a return through UPS. Why this was not presented as an option to either of us from the beginning is a mystery to me, but whatever. So I buy a UPS label online and message it to the seller who prints a label and leaves the package on his doorstep.

So this morning, the buyer rapid fire messages me on the east coast (where I'm sound asleep because it's all of 6:00am) in a panic because the horrible UPS man "banged" on his door to complain that he needed additional forms and plastic envelopes! And PLUS also too the UPS rep actually touched the package and now it's basically radioactive and why didn't I send him all the forms he needed?! And on top of THAT, before he was going to even look at the box again, he needs to quarantine it for a few days and hose it off with disinfectant and then bleach his door  and calm the cat down.  And this whole experience was unacceptable and causing him the vapors, etc and also where was his mint julep?! Long story short, realizing I had no hope of competing with that performance, I refund the buyer.

Being a decent human being, I claimed less insurance than full value (in anticipation of getting the item back),  so I'm taking a slight loss. That was a newbie mistake I won't make again. Another major lesson I learned is that CS may be inaccessible to US sellers but my UK buyer clearly had direct hotline access to support. He was able to contact eBay without even being placed on hold, a good two or three times over the course of an hour or so during which we exchanged messages. I thought call centers were down? Are things different in the UK? Or are buyers everywhere receiving back door special treatment? Because if that is the case, I think sellers need to know that they are at even more of a disadvantage right now than they usually are. 

Also, what on actual earth is this buyer talking about?  On what planet are people being advised to quarantine packages for several days before touching them? How is this a legitimate reason for delaying a return? I get that people are concerned about confection but how easy is it now for any buyer to offer bogus reasons why they can't return an item? And if I don't have the same chance of reaching CS as the buyer, how am I in a position to help them or defend myself if they are lying? FWIW, that will likely be my last international sale and I won't be selling anything on eBay for the foreseeable future. Not while buyers can just cry "coronavirus" made me do it (or not do it) and all is forgiven.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

This buyer strung you along all the way.

End of March arrives and buyer informs me, out of the blue that eBay CS recommends I set up a return through UPS

Why are you letting a buyer dictate to you what postal service to use ? Easy to go to Royal Mail.com and do it there, Price and service to use.

Never ever refund until you have your item in your hands, this was their purpose all along to get a free item which you easily provided.

They will now move on to the next easy target.

Below is an example of Royal mail, took me all of 20 secs.

The buyer set out to con you and succeeded.

Buy postage quickly Send a parcel without having to register
and drop it off at a Post Office® branch or at a post box.

Step 1. Enter delivery details Step 2. Choose a size Step 3. Choose a service
Compensation amount  Don't Know Up to £20 Up to £50 Up to £100 Up to £250 Up to £500 Up to £1,000 Up to £1,500 Up to £2,000 Up to £2,500  Don't Know Up to £20 Up to £50 Up to £250 
The service you've selected requires your item to be taken to a Post Office® branch for the tracking label to be scanned.
Service PriceSorted (ascending) Select International Standard £14.24 International Standard - £14.24 International Tracked £18.24 International Tracked - £18.24 International Tracked & Signed £18.24 International Tracked & Signed - £18.24

Step 4. Add recipient details Step 5. Add sender details Step 6. Summary & confirmation
Summary

Weight: 2kg

International Tracked
£18.24
Take item to Post Office branch

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This buyer strung you along all the way.”

Not quite all the way. I suspected within a few days he was a charlatan. But once someone opens a INAD, the seller is already fighting with one hand tied behind his/her back.

“Why are you letting a buyer dictate to you what postal service to use ? Easy to go to Royal Mail.com and do it there, Price and service to use.”

I didn’t. My understanding was that eBay recommended UPS. I had no way to confirm anything from this side of the ocean and I knew I only had until the 6th to get the buyer whatever label he needed.

Never ever refund until you have your item in your hands, this was their purpose all along to get a free item which you easily provided.”

I  think I already said I knew what they were up to from the start. Again, I was under a deadline and had no way to reach CS. The buyer ended up with a partially damaged item that was worth about 1/4 what he originally paid. It was an item I found while cleaning out a friend’s closet so I can live with the loss. My ego is bruised though.

”The buyer set out to con you and succeeded.“

Thanks but that’s a bit simplistic. Did you actually read my post? The buyer accomplished what he did by exploiting a pandemic. That factor was beyond my control. That’s the entire point of my OP. He would have been far less likely to get away with his scam were it not for the entire world being at a virtual standstill due to the pandemic. Is this starting to sink in yet?

Below is an example of Royal mail, took me all of 20 secs”

Again, I don’t think you’re reading carefully.  The buyer wasn’t going to agree to drop off anything at the post office and I think we can be reasonably sure he would have made up some excuse why the item could not be picked up—regardless of what shipping service I used. I had no way to reach CS—because of the pandemic.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I read your post correctly, all you are required to do with an international return is to either provide a label 

( extremely unlikely ) as you are in different countries, or, provide the funds to purchase that label from the carrier that side.

They do not have to agree to drop anything off, if they request a return they have to return it, simple.

If they do not return it with tracking the case would close out in your favor.

You upload all the relevant information to the case proving you have sent postage funds via Paypal and are awaiting buyers response.

They can use any excuse they want to, bottom line is it must be returned and have tracked proof they have done so.

The buyer accomplished what he did by exploiting a pandemic.

Sorry but many sellers are mailing their mail, what makes you think he cannot, he did not exploit the pandemic, he exploited you by using that excuse.

My understanding was that eBay recommended UPS

It is entirely your choice as to the shipping method used, E Bay do not tell you to use a specified shipping service, ( your paying for it ) he had you over again there by telling you that's what E Bay told him.

The only deadline you were under was the panic he created by refusing to drop a package off or purchase a label via funds you should have sent via Paypal.

If you had sent the funds and uploaded the details to the case the ball is now in their court, they now have to upload a tracking number showing the return is in process in the allotted time frame.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Sorry but many sellers are mailing their mail, what makes you think he cannot, he did not exploit the pandemic, he exploited you by using that excuse.”

Again, you are either not reading or completely misunderstanding. I knew it was a scam from the beginning. The buyer told me and eBay that he was fearful of going to the post office.  That’s why they gave him more time, I presume. What recourse did I have at that point other than to wait?

It is entirely your choice as to the shipping method used, E Bay do not tell you to use a specified shipping service, ( your paying for it ) he had you over again there by telling you that's what E Bay told him.”

You are still completely disregarding the pandemic issue.  The buyer told eBay they couldn’t get to the PO so, in fact, the choice was NOT entirely mine. CS gave the buyer a special exception due to the pandemic. This is something you seem to have a hard time grasping. 

”The only deadline you were under was the panic he created by refusing to drop a package off or purchase a label via funds you should have sent via Paypal.“

Wrong. I was told by eBay that I had to resolve the return in a particular way by April 5 (I incorrectly said the 5th earlier) or risk forfeiting the item.

“If you had sent the funds and uploaded the details to the case the ball is now in their court, they now have to upload a tracking number showing the return is in process in the allotted time frame.”

I sent the label and the buyer made up some insane story that excuse that would have obliged him to miss the deadline eBay gave me. What could I do given that I had no way to contact eBay?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

No more going back and forth.

You do not seem to understand the return process on both you & the buyers part.

Bottom line is follow correct procedure and do not believe anything anyone tells you unless you have official notice from E Bay sent to you.

CS don't even know what there on about and will say anything to get you off the phone.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes, no more point in engaging—because you’re very willful and you DON’T read. The buyer was able to abuse the returns process because he had back channel access to support that I didn’t have—due to the pandemic. That is an undeniable fact and it has been my point all along. Good day to you.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

He abused you and took you for the sucker, issue label upload the proof to the case and wait, your job is done.

You panicked during a pandemic and refunded without the return being sent.

You DON'T understand how a return works.

You do not need to contact E Bay in the first place so no idea why you continue to say you had no support.

Issue funds / send label if you can, UPLOAD PROOF TO THE CASE.

Not sure what you are not understanding / reading.

Point is you refunded because you panicked, do the above and you would have been covered.

So instead of accusing people trying to help you understand the action you took was your fault and no one else's.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply