cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged an International fee for shipping to Miami.

Has this happened to anyone else? I shipped a package to Miami and noticed I was charged an International Fee.

The address looks like it might be an outside shipper, but in the past that didn't matter. I called Ebay to ask why, and they said because the buyer is based in Jamaica. That should not matter, I shipped to Miami.

Can someone please shed some light on this.   

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am in managed payments as of August (reluctantly). Today I sold an item and the shipping location was Wilmington, Delaware. I was charged 11.5% FVF plus $0.30 order fee plus 1.65% International fee. It looks like my buyer is based (registered) in China, but the shipping address is here in the U.S. I don't ship internationally so was very upset by this new "fee". Apparently after searching, I found the section under the FVF list for Managed Payments:

"International fee

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales. If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information."

I have blocked in my preferences "block sales to locations I don't ship to" which is all international locations, but is there a way now to block buyers that are not based (registered) in the U.S.? This is why I didn't want to go to Managed Payments! I would appreciate any suggestions.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

You can try going here and asking for a call back:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/selling-internationally?id=4132&st=12&pos=6&query=Selling%...

And, yes it seems strange that you have to pay a fee to ship to Miami.

@rebell45 

Are you referring to the new MP sellers fees that are being added to the sales price:

This first part is similar to what paypal did for sales to buyers in other countries or that paid in another currency: 

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.

If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information.

This part is new and I am honestly not sure if it applies to sales where the buyer uses a forwarding address or not.  It used to be that the BUYER paid this fee to PayPal. 

Seller currency conversion charge
If your registered address is in the US, when you list on an eBay site with a listing currency different to your payout currency, eBay may convert the value to your settlement currency using a "transaction exchange rate" we set for the currency exchange. The transaction exchange rate is adjusted regularly and includes a currency conversion charge of 3% applied on a base exchange rate. The base exchange rate is based on rates within the wholesale currency markets on the conversion day or the prior business day; or, if required by law or regulation, set at the relevant government reference rate(s). The currency conversion charge will be automatically deducted from your sales. 

If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your Seller currency conversion charge information.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4809

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@rebell45

Are you referring to the new MP sellers fees that are being added to the sales price:

I wasn't but the OP might have been, I think you answered their question. They are in MP.

Does the new eBay international shipping program ship out of Miami. And did you have that option enabled on your site preferences and in the listing?

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

OOPS,  Sorry @rebell45   I kept getting the bleeping post flooding error and had to copy and paste my post into notepad before I could actually post it.  GRRR!!!  

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@tweetystwades   @3eyedfishcatcher   

I think that this is 100% MP fees.   OP is in MP 

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

It is not clear what the poster is referring to when he says international fee. At first I thought he was refereeing to the shipping label, but now see that he may have been referring to the fee for the processing of the payment. If the buyer is truly out of the US then there would be a higher fee charged for converting the currency. A eBay rep from the sales dept. said the fee in such a case would be .30 cents but I figured that would not be the case. I had to dig a little and it looks like there is a separate fee page for MP sellers the percentage for the FVF's is higher on the article than for sellers not in MP. Then on the bottom of the article it says 

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.

It does not specify if the 1.65 % will be a separate fee on top of the .30 cent FVF for processing the order or if the 1.65% will take the place of the .30 cent fee.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

I'm trying to paste the transactions, but I can't.

It shows International Fee $0.22. I've never seen this before.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I am in managed payments as of August (reluctantly). Today I sold an item and the shipping location was Wilmington, Delaware. I was charged 11.5% FVF plus $0.30 order fee plus 1.65% International fee. It looks like my buyer is based (registered) in China, but the shipping address is here in the U.S. I don't ship internationally so was very upset by this new "fee". Apparently after searching, I found the section under the FVF list for Managed Payments:

"International fee

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales. If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information."

I have blocked in my preferences "block sales to locations I don't ship to" which is all international locations, but is there a way now to block buyers that are not based (registered) in the U.S.? This is why I didn't want to go to Managed Payments! I would appreciate any suggestions.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I finally got an answer.

International fee

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either:

The delivery address for the item (entered by the buyer during checkout) is outside the US, or

The buyer's registered address is outside the US (regardless of the delivery address for the item)

This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.

If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information.

For more info you can refer to this page:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-managed-payments-sellers?id=482...

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Your post was correct, but I did conform with ebay. No, there is no way to block them. We can block from future sales, but no point in that. The up side is, I think once it leaves the county we have to obligation to accept a return.    

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

We have always been charged a higher amount to process an international buyer's payment. With Paypal you would pay 2.9% to Paypal if the buyer was registered in the US and 4.4% if the buyer was registered in another country. In MP the fee is 1.65% so it is just slightly different.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

This just happened to me, too. I was charged an international fee for an item that I shipped to Kansas! The item was 16.99 and free shipping. The international fee was 28 cents. ($16.99 x 1.65% = .28) So, I was trying to figure out how this happened... I clicked on my buyer's username so I could check my buyer's feedback, just in case. The feedback was fine, but there was that little blurb that ebay shows for every user- the blurb said "Based in the Marshall Islands, username123 has been an ebay member since July 2020". And again, I shipped the item to Kansas, which is where the ebay system told me to ship to. (I never alter shipping addresses, and I was never contacted by the buyer, just so you know.) So how does a person "based in the Marshall Islands" get a shipping address in Kansas??? It is a mystery to me. To further confuse the issue, the Marshall Islands is a freely associated state of the U.S., or something to that effect. Some kind of legal terminology. The Marshall Islands is under the umbrella of the US, if you will. Their official currency is the US dollar. The USPS will deliver mail there, I think. But again, my item sold, and shipped to Kansas. And for this, ebay charges me, the seller, an international fee. Ebay, I love you.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I am  NOT set up to sell to international buyers, therefore they are subject to a lawsuit for allowing an international buyer to use an US address, and then charge you a international fee. As soon as I called and made that point, they credited my account immediately. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply