cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can seller change shipping method after the sale. Seller is paying to ship and wants to ship faster.

I sold an item that has free shipping, and I received payment. Can I now go back change the shipping method to a faster and/or more expensive method if am still the one paying for the shipping? Buyer needs the item by a certain date and I want to be sure they get it on time since I am going to be a little delayed in shipping the item out to them. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Can seller change shipping method after the sale. Seller is paying to ship and wants to ship faster.

Absolutely. But since the buyer needs it by a certain date, if that date is before the latest delivery estimate, you are NOT required to absorb that expense. You can tell the buyer that you can’t guarantee it will arrive by the date they need it and offer to upgrade at their expense.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

That depends.  If you are staying with the same carrier you are fine.  If you want to change carriers - for example your listing states USPS and you want to change that to FedEx or UPS, you should get the buyer's agreement first.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Ship it today.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

thanks
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You don't have to change anything.  You are upgrading the service and can just go ahead and do that, as long as you stay with the same carrier.

However, downgrading the service from what was offered is frowned upon.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Anytime a buyer tells me they need something by a certain date I tell them I can't accommodate them because if it doesnt get there on time you are the "bad guy".

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Remember that no matter which carrier or level of service you use or what you pay, ALL shipping estimates are ESTIMATES.  There are no guaranteed arrival dates.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

UPS guarantees the day of delivery for all levels of service.

USPS guarantees the day of delivery for Express Mail.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

They can guarantee all they want but that doesn't mean package will get there in time and then the buyer is angry and they blame the seller.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

They can guarantee all they want but that doesn't mean package will get there in time and then the buyer is angry and they blame the seller.

They do NOT guaranteee the item will arrive on that date.  All they'll do is refund the shipping cost if it doesn't  ....  maybe.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

They do NOT guaranteee the item will arrive on that date.  All they'll do is refund the shipping cost if it doesn't  ....  maybe.

I'm sure someone has and does use certain verbiage on the phone much like the CS here at eBay guaranteeing things it doesn't mean it's official policy, my point is still the same do not get yourself involved in such situations that put you at risk of an angry buyer shoo them away if they want an item by a "certain date".

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

"They do NOT guaranteee the item will arrive on that date.  All they'll do is refund the shipping cost if it doesn't  ....  maybe."

They will refund the shipping charge if it doesn't arrive on the specific date.  That's why they call it a guarantee.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply