cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone confirm that Ebay's FedEx 2 Day shipping label estimate/cost is accurate?

I shipped a package (7lbs 12oz, 13" x 11" x 10") from California 94137 to Ohio 44074. I initially printed a FedEx Home Delivery Label for $14.18. For whatever reason the FedEx 2 Day pricing for the same package caught my eye; price was $14.95 (86% savings). For $0.77, the upgrade for faster shipping was an easy decision. I printed the FedEx 2 Day Label but decided to double check the shipping cost on the FedEx website which was $103.23 for the 2 Day option. I eventually shipped the package with the Home Delivery Label in fear that I would be charged some crazy fee using the 2 Day Label.

The price discrepancy can't be right with that huge Ebay discount. Can anyone confirm that the FedEx 2 Day estimate/price is legit from actual experience of purchasing and using the labels? Thank you in advance to all responses.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Can anyone confirm that Ebay's FedEx 2 Day shipping label estimate/cost is accurate?

@jtec212 wrote:

Agree. People need to take advantage of FedEx rates on Mercari. Make money now before things change! I’d rather pay $11 shipping for 6 lb item safely packaged than a similar thing with $30-$45 shipping seen on eBay. The shipping cost more than the item itself! 

@jtec212 

Two changes to my statements about Mercari.  The rate went up to $12.50, not a big deal.  BUT they now DO apply dimensional weight, but with a much better divisor.  I had a large package (18x14x12) that bumped me to the teir 2 (11 to 20 lbs) rate of $25.  Smaller packages did not incur this rate but I've not had the time to play with dimensions to reverse engineer the divisor.  Suffice it to say it's looks to be better than what eBay negociated here..

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

For that same package, what was UPS charging? 

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

On Mercari, why does it still say “optional” next to “how big is your item”? Most people would fill out the weight and not the dimensions since the former would give a much lower cost. When it’s brought to FedEx and it’s weighed, they will charge you the overage right there. Is that correct? I also assume we can’t drop off packages that big at Walgreens. 

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

Not sure if the discount has changed but I just checked on a large package I sent the other day. 

FedEx Home Delivery was $19.07 (save 37%)

FedEx 2 day was $65.14 (save 47%).

I've never seen a discount of over 80%. Was it possibly a bug or a promotional thing?

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Some of the thread responses have verified that the low cost numbers they were quoted (FedEx 2 Day) over the past month or so turned out to be true based on the final charge to their invoice.

I have shipped a couple of items (FedEx) in the last few days and noticed that the price difference between the Home Delivery and 2 Day services are "back to normal". The huge FedEx 2 Day discount I was seeing earlier in the month has disappeared and was probably a glitch.
Message 20 of 46
latest reply

@anything_goes_2005  @totoro470  It appears that some sort of threshold is now in place.  I still get the deep discounts for packages up to 12x11x10 where last week I was seeing them up to 12x12x10.

brian@ebay 

12 in. x 12 in. x 10 in.  - 5 lbs. 0 oz. -Handling fees $4 - 97404 to 18109 - Fed Ex 2Day $66.82
12 in. x 11 in. x 10 in.  - 5 lbs. 0 oz. -Handling fees $4 - 97404 to 18109 - Fed Ex 2Day $19.73

Early last week I was getting just a bit more that the $19.73 for 12x12x10.  Was a change made to the FedEx divisor in the last few days?

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

@jtec212 wrote:

On Mercari, why does it still say “optional” next to “how big is your item”? Most people would fill out the weight and not the dimensions since the former would give a much lower cost. When it’s brought to FedEx and it’s weighed, they will charge you the overage right there. Is that correct? I also assume we can’t drop off packages that big at Walgreens. 

@jtec212 

You would need to ask Mercari why.

But, if you fail to complete the dimensions and drop a large package off you will likely be hit with a charge back for the dimensional weight.  It won't happen at the counter in most cases, but you likely be billed by Mercari for the error when FedEx's automated weight and measurement equipment assess the package.

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@anything_goes_2005  @totoro470  It appears that some sort of threshold is now in place.  I still get the deep discounts for packages up to 12x11x10 where last week I was seeing them up to 12x12x10.

brian@ebay 

12 in. x 12 in. x 10 in.  - 5 lbs. 0 oz. -Handling fees $4 - 97404 to 18109 - Fed Ex 2Day $66.82
12 in. x 11 in. x 10 in.  - 5 lbs. 0 oz. -Handling fees $4 - 97404 to 18109 - Fed Ex 2Day $19.73

Early last week I was getting just a bit more that the $19.73 for 12x12x10.  Was a change made to the FedEx divisor in the last few days?

Hi @dtexley3, in January the shipping team confirmed with me what the current FedEx divisors are, which I've provided below. I don't know how long these have been in place, but to my knowledge a change hasn't been made to these divisors.

HD/Ground = 166

2Day/Express Saver = 166

SmartPost = 225

Brian,
Community Team
Message 23 of 46
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay 

Hi @dtexley3, in January the shipping team confirmed with me what the current FedEx divisors are, which I've provided below. I don't know how long these have been in place, but to my knowledge a change hasn't been made to these divisors.

HD/Ground = 166

2Day/Express Saver = 166

SmartPost = 225

brian@ebay 

That would make the 12x12x10 have a dimensional weight of 8.67lb and the 12x11x10 weight 7.95lbs. 

Next Question:  Is there a weight or size limit on the FedEx 2Day Express Saver rate?  This type of information is very important to have out there so we can make the CORRECT decision on what shipping to offer.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay 

HD/Ground = 166

2Day/Express Saver = 166

SmartPost = 225

brian@ebay 

That would make the 12x12x10 have a dimensional weight of 8.67lb and the 12x11x10 weight 7.95lbs. 

Next Question:  Is there a weight or size limit on the FedEx 2Day Express Saver rate?  This type of information is very important to have out there so we can make the CORRECT decision on what shipping to offer.

@dtexley3 the stated weight/size limits on the FedEx site are the same for the FedEx 2Day product we are offering via eBay Labels.

• Package weight: Up to 150 lbs. each
  • Package size: Up to 119" in length, 165" in length plus girth (L+2W+2H)

One thing to be aware of is that the really low FedEx 2Day rates are  for items under 10 lbs.  The rates start to go up substantially beyond 10 lbs, so sellers definitely want to be sure they are entering correct weight measurements or and that they aren't going over 10 lbs due to the dimensional weight of the item.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 25 of 46
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay 

HD/Ground = 166

2Day/Express Saver = 166

SmartPost = 225

brian@ebay 

@dtexley3 the stated weight/size limits on the FedEx site are the same for the FedEx 2Day product we are offering via eBay Labels.

One thing to be aware of is that the really low FedEx 2Day rates are  for items under 10 lbs.  The rates start to go up substantially beyond 10 lbs, so sellers definitely want to be sure they are entering correct weight measurements or and that they aren't going over 10 lbs due to the dimensional weight of the item.

brian@ebay 

Thank you for responding.  Please review my examples above from the shipping calculator.  The break point where shipping costs jumped was 8 lbs not 10.   I would really appreciate having this investigated and corrected based on your information.  It may be an error just with the shipping calculator but still needs to be addressed.

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

brian@ebay 

I had an item waiting for shipment so I went in to the label generator and played with the weights and sizes.  The FedEx 2Day rates reflected the correct deep discount up to 10 lbs both for actual weight and for dimensional weight.   It appears that the  estimated shipping calculator is in error.

I went to 3 of my listings, one a 12x10x8 ship, and the FedEx 2Day was correct.  I checked 2 12x12x10 and while the rate was NOT the $66 from the estimator, it was about $3 - $4 above the rates shown in the label purchase process above.  (and I did subtract off my handling before comparing).  So there may be another error here, albiet a smaller one.

Just an FYI to anyone reading this the dimensional weight break point is just above 12x12x11 or 1584 cu inches.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

Thanks for this helpful information.

My only concern involves final charges, especially on FedEx 2 Day labels. I have a package that I sent out recently (3.88LB , 16X13X7) from California 94137 to Delaware 19701. The Ebay quote for FedEx Home Delivery was $14.18 and $14.95 for FedEx 2 Day. I purchased the 2 Day label and mailed the item. FedEx site quoted $83.03 for this same package. As stated in a previous post, I always overstate package dimensions and weight so package detail errors should never be an issue.

For this package, if for some unknown reason I am charged a final fee that grossly exceeds the Ebay quoted price, who will step in to correct the situation...Ebay or FedEx? I have read other discussions were this situation happened and both Ebay and Fedex did not appear to be cooperative in providing an adjustment for the seller; lots of finger pointing, no provided solutions. I understand that inaccurate package details and other factors can result in higher final charges.
Message 28 of 46
latest reply

So far my invoiced FedEx charges have matched what the label generator stated.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay 

HD/Ground = 166

2Day/Express Saver = 166

SmartPost = 225

brian@ebay 

brian@ebay 

Thank you for responding.  Please review my examples above from the shipping calculator.  The break point where shipping costs jumped was 8 lbs not 10.   I would really appreciate having this investigated and corrected based on your information.  It may be an error just with the shipping calculator but still needs to be addressed.

Hi @dtexley3 ! I've reported to the shipping team that the shipping calculator is not giving accurate information for FedEx. When printing a label you should get correct information though. Thanks for point this out! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 30 of 46
latest reply