cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the silent seller

I ordered a textbook from a seller with zero feedback. I am guessing someone trying to sell their textbook. After the fact I asked how much to upgrade to Priority. When I did not hear back or get a shipped notification I got cold feet and asked to cancel and get a refund. Then I bought the book elsewhere. 

I know perfectly well that not every seller is on email 20/7 or has the fast-paced responses of most of us. But I still think some response is not unwarranted even now a few days after ordering. If after a few more days I get no shipped message or refund, what are my options? 

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

the silent seller

As a seller you should know all questions need to be asked BEFORE the sale
Message 2 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

@keziak

I went down for most of the last month.

Things happen, it is the cold and flu season.

Message 3 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

wrote:
As a seller you should know all questions need to be asked BEFORE the sale

Yes I do know that, and have given myself a strike for it. 

I'd like the seller to cancel the order and refund, not ship it, but as Dave points out, it's cold and flu season and I do not want to bury him under emails about it. But I'm not sure what is going on.

Message 4 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

I am like you Keziak. I respond to my customers within 24 hours (sorry Dave, but sick or not, and I had the flu all month and continuing) and thank them for their purchase. Then let them know the shipping number as well. I believe communication is key and if 3 days went by without it, I would be worried as well. 

Message 5 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

@odditiesandantiquities1

My sales are flat, so I can spend a month in bed...lol

Message 6 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

It's liable to just show up at any time. Colleges started a new semester at the beginning of the year. If it's a college student selling the textbook, they probably mail at the PO so you wouldn't get a ship notification from ebay. The lack of communication is bad, but again, if it's a college student....

Message 7 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

Oh Dave, I am so sorry. I'll see if I can send some lucky dreams your way. unicorn

Message 8 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

Hopefully the seller has learned how to BBL. You should know to always ask before bidding/buying. Cancelling for buyer's remorse is not an excuse.

Message 9 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

Gawsh, it must be exhausting to keep up such a supportive and sunny disposition. How ever do you do it?
Message 10 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

wrote:

I ordered a textbook from a seller with zero feedback. I am guessing someone trying to sell their textbook. After the fact I asked how much to upgrade to Priority. When I did not hear back or get a shipped notification I got cold feet and asked to cancel and get a refund. Then I bought the book elsewhere. 

I know perfectly well that not every seller is on email 20/7 or has the fast-paced responses of most of us. But I still think some response is not unwarranted even now a few days after ordering. If after a few more days I get no shipped message or refund, what are my options? 

Most sellers don't accept requests to change the shipping method.  If there are options, they will be listed in the shipping tab on the listing.  If there are not, that is how the item goes.  If you do not like the shipping offered, you are free to decide not to buy.  You were asking for something not in the listing, and that is a violation.   You can ask if they WILL, and they MIGHT, but you don't ask how much to upgrade to Priority as if it were a done deal and accepted that the seller has to do this.  They do not.

Another point is a cancel is just a request, it is not a command.  The seller has three days to make the decision as to whether he will accept or decline that request.  If he does not accept it, you have now bought two books.  There is NEVER a guarantee of a cancel and it is unreasonable to count on them.

What are your options?  First, with all due respect, learn how Ebay works.  

Second, ask your questions first, not after the fact.  ALWAYS ask any questions before you buy.  That is part of your buyer's due diligence.  If you don't get an answer, or don't like the answer, then you are free to buy from another seller.  You don't decide to bail on your commitment to this seller because you didn't ask the question before buying as it is supposed to be done.

Second, pay for your book if the seller doesn't cancel. If they open an Unpaid Item Dispute, and you don't pay, you get a strike against your account which could cause you to be blocked from buying from thousands of sellers.

Sorry, none of this is to offend you and it may sound harsh, but these are just the facts, and you have tied up this seller's inventory for purchase by a serious buyer, and caused him more work as well if he has to file an Unpaid Item Dispute for you.   You can avoid all this, and a restriction of your buying privileges, by just asking all your questions and receiving answers before purchasing.  This is not the seller's fault.  

Wishing you better buying experiences in the future!  Hopefully this info will help make that happen for you.  Wishing you great Ebay shopping, too.

Message 11 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

wrote:

@keziak

I went down for most of the last month.

Things happen, it is the cold and flu season.

Dave!  Don't you know you are not allowed to get sick?  LOL

Glad you are feeling better now.  That flu was nasty!  I know.

Message 12 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

It's really shocking to learn this OP is a seller, under the circumstances.

Oh well.  Good Luck, OP.  If you get two books, you can always sell one.

Message 13 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

You paid for the item?

As for the upgrade in shipping - there's nothing you can do.

If the book doesn't arrive by the delivery date (or you haven't received a cancellation notice and been refunded) you can open an Item Not Received case.

In future, as others have said - ask for things like upgrades before you buy not after.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 14 of 83
latest reply

the silent seller

OP, since you are someone familiar on this Board, and a seller, I believe you just had an unfortunate moment.  Your OP seemed to be from someone who was a new buyer and unfamiliar with Ebay!  So my sincere apologies~we all makes mistakes!  

Message 15 of 83
latest reply