cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sent wrong item

I mailed the wrong item to a customer.  I reached out to her to let her know. I've already purchased another shipping label to send her her item.  How do we make an exchange.  I told her to open a return so I can send her a return label for the wrong item sent.  She paid $25 for the plates. Is there an option on  returns to send her the return label without refunding the purchase price? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

sent wrong item

Unfortunately, there is no way to exchange a product with the customer. She opened a return? You have to wait until you receive the wrong item back to make sure she returned it to refund or refund when she ships, whichever you prefer.  She would then have to repurchase it and you ship the correct item. OR You can let her keep your mistake and just ship the correct items using your new label (which is only good for 28 days after creation). 

If she did open a return, ebay has already provided a return label to her. If she doesn't use it within a certain amount of time (which is indicated in the email they receive from ebay), the case is closed.

You can provide her with a label created from USPS or whomever, but that's circumventing the ebay system and really not recommended. The policies are in place to protect both seller and buyer. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

sent wrong item

EBay isn’t set up for exchanges so if they open a return and use the label to send the item back, they will automatically be refunded after the item is delivered back to you.   I would get a return label from another site such as Pirateship and not do this through a return request. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

No.   You will refund in full when you get it back.   They can repurchase the item if they want it.    You will want to void that other label you purchased.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

Ebay doesn't "automatically be refunded after the item is delivered back to you." They will tell you that the item has been delivered and to refund the customer. It's up to you to check the item, make sure it is what you sent and refund them accordingly. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

Unfortunately, there is no way to exchange a product with the customer. She opened a return? You have to wait until you receive the wrong item back to make sure she returned it to refund or refund when she ships, whichever you prefer.  She would then have to repurchase it and you ship the correct item. OR You can let her keep your mistake and just ship the correct items using your new label (which is only good for 28 days after creation). 

If she did open a return, ebay has already provided a return label to her. If she doesn't use it within a certain amount of time (which is indicated in the email they receive from ebay), the case is closed.

You can provide her with a label created from USPS or whomever, but that's circumventing the ebay system and really not recommended. The policies are in place to protect both seller and buyer. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

@pjcdn2005 had the best solution (seamless)

As a matter of business, it never hurts to have some redundancy...

signing up for Pirateship (even for a backup shipper) is a smart move....

Now, pirateship can print a return label for you without any interaction with ebay...so, that would be the way to accomplish this scenario.......

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

Ebay doesn't "automatically be refunded after the item is delivered back to you." They will tell you that the item has been delivered and to refund the customer. It's up to you to check the item, make sure it is what you sent and refund them accordingly. 

I was referring to the op’s situation, The seller doesn’t want to refund the buyer as they want to send them the correct item instead.  If a return was opened, the item was delivered and the seller didn’t refund within the time required, eBay would refund.  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

Sending a label outside of eBay is not circumventing the system.  Sellers buy labels from other sources every day and are allowed to do so whether it is for a return or original postage. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

They do sometimes.

I had a return, got a message saying it was delivered.

I seen the mail carrier so I was already headed to the mail box and before I got back in, got an email from  Ebay saying since it was returned, they refunded the buyer.

They refunded in less then 2 or 3 minutes of being delivered.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

They do sometimes.

I had a return, got a message saying it was delivered.

I seen the mail carrier so I was already headed to the mail box and before I got back in, got an email from  Ebay saying since it was returned, they refunded the buyer.

They refunded in less then 2 or 3 minutes of being delivered.

I thought you could deduct up to 50% of the original purchase price if the item did not come back in the same condition? Also if eBay refunded the buyer since it was delivered, do you get a strike for them "intervening"?

C.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

The "by the book" way to handle this is...

Have your buyer wait to receive the item.

Have the buyer file a INAD (item not as described) return.

Approve the return and pay for return shipping.

When you get the item back refund the buyer.

Instruct the buyer they can re-purchase the item if they still want it.

This time make sure you send the correct item.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

I am now thinking to just let her open a return and giving her a full a refund for her trouble. I just hope she sends me back the wrong item as is amore expensive item that was saved by a number of people.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

It is if ebay has already provided the label to the buyer. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

I have never, ever, had that happen to me. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

sent wrong item

You do what you feel is the right thing to do. Don't refund until you receive it back tho and look it over. I had someone open a return last month and instead of returning the item I sold them, they returned a used/old one. Stupidly, I just gave the refund when I received the notice from ebay that it was delivered to me. Had I opened it, he would not have gotten a full refund. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply