cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sellers using wrong photo when listing the item for sale

why does ebay continue to allow sellers to use the wrong photo when listing their item for sale? I sent an email to the seller about this but of course no response from them and the wrong photo still being used!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

What kind of wrong photo? How would EBay know it is the wrong photo?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@terrilb123 wrote:

why does ebay continue to allow sellers to use the wrong photo when listing their item for sale? I sent an email to the seller about this but of course no response from them and the wrong photo still being used!

Probably because it would not be cost-effective for eBay to check every one of the 1.1 billion listings, nor would they necessarily have the expertise to determine that a photo was "wrong".

And also because taking action based on a third party's report would open the door for unscrupulous sellers to sabotage the competition with malicious reports.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Drop shippers are good for that because they are given the photo to use but when the product changes they are still given the old outdated picture to use.  the drop shipper has no clue it doesn't match the actual product because they have never seen it.

I have seen it in the stores too.  the picture on the box side doesn't match the item identically inside. I even have 1 item up now that is tool related, new in box but the picture doesn't match the tool inside and when I did a search online I keep getting the same picture on the box, the old outdated picture before manufacture changes.  

I knew it was different because we used to have one on display so I opened 1 up and took an actual photo and I pointed it out in my listing that the box picture was wrong, internet pictures are wrong and take a look at the actual item and I highlighted and pointed out the differences.

To the manufacture it seems to me that they think it doesn't make a financial sense to correct outdated descriptions and pictures.  but I can see people getting upset that a part isn't there and replaced with a different item that is why I pointed it out.  I would have never known myself without seeing one on display ahead of time. 

we also got a certain tote back a lot that was ordered online.  The online and box picture it had a different design to it  which was the earlier version but the later version was a different goofy design but they didn't change the box art or online description and we got quite a few returned to us for not matching the description given. 

Can't blame the people when they want it a certain way and it is advertised that way but the manufacture found a cheaper way to make it, it tends to upset them. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You are aware that 'ebay' does not sell anything, does not post anything for sale and could not/should not monitor the accuracy of a photo? Neither does any other website on the planet that has 'others' post items for sale on their site. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply