cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refund dispute - looking for guidance

Long story short, I sold a tech item but the buyer says it doesn't work and is asking for a full refund. Problem is that I tested it before I sold and it worked perfectly fine. Unless the buyer didn't like the quality, I'm sure it's just someone with buyer's remorse. I offer no refunds, but this buyer is adamant.

Bad apples are always on eBay. I'm used to it, and ebay's not going to do much about It. I will eat the losses if I have to.

However I still want to get reimbursed for this hastle. I'm considering letting the buyer ship the item back to me just to see if there's actually damage, as is usual ebay policy. However, i know getting reimbursed for a refund issue by getting ebay to step in is a hastle in and of itself and was looking for guidance.

I've dealt with Selling/refund disputes before and have had most work in my favor. The times I've lost, i've slipped up in the process and don't want to do it again.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Your response is "I'm sorry you are not happy with it. Feel free to return it for a full refund". DO NOT accept a counter offer of send me a partial and I will drop it. Common cheapskate scam. Repeat the above quote.

If he says it does not work and files a "Not as Described" claim you do not have a choice.

You will be expected to send a prepaid return label (Yes, you have to pay for the return). If you do not eBay will do it automatically. Once (and, by the way, ONLY if) he sends it back you have 2 days to issue a refund. If you do not eBay will refund it AND charge you a Ding for an unresolved dispute.

I said IF before because you would be amazed at how many people file for a return and then do not send it back. Because the original "send me a refund" is nothing more than a feint. IF he fails to send it back then after a time eBay will close the case in your favor and you do NOT have to issue a refund.

CARDINAL RULE: DO NOT communicate directly with the buyer beyond the one time quote I have given you above. NO NEGOTIATIONS !!!!

One hopeful note:

He says it does not work. If you get it back and in fact it does work then you can file a complaint against him for misusing the returns process by claiming a defect on what was a remorse return. There are some reliefs available to you in that case.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Your response is "I'm sorry you are not happy with it. Feel free to return it for a full refund". DO NOT accept a counter offer of send me a partial and I will drop it. Common cheapskate scam. Repeat the above quote.

If he says it does not work and files a "Not as Described" claim you do not have a choice.

You will be expected to send a prepaid return label (Yes, you have to pay for the return). If you do not eBay will do it automatically. Once (and, by the way, ONLY if) he sends it back you have 2 days to issue a refund. If you do not eBay will refund it AND charge you a Ding for an unresolved dispute.

I said IF before because you would be amazed at how many people file for a return and then do not send it back. Because the original "send me a refund" is nothing more than a feint. IF he fails to send it back then after a time eBay will close the case in your favor and you do NOT have to issue a refund.

CARDINAL RULE: DO NOT communicate directly with the buyer beyond the one time quote I have given you above. NO NEGOTIATIONS !!!!

One hopeful note:

He says it does not work. If you get it back and in fact it does work then you can file a complaint against him for misusing the returns process by claiming a defect on what was a remorse return. There are some reliefs available to you in that case.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Simple short low stress answer. Accept the return and offer a full refund upon receipt of the item. There is no such thing as no refunds what you state in your listing is you do not accept returns, which does NOT translate to no refunds. 

If you let eBay become involved in the process for a return request or a NAD the seller is almost always going to loose and the buyer will be allowed to keep the item. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@lukca2 wrote:

I offer no refunds, but this buyer is adamant.

You are incorrect. You do offer refunds. All sellers do.  It's called ebay's "money back guarantee" offered to  all buyers. 

In a case like this where the buyer says it does not work, you MUST accept the return and pay for the return shipping. When you get the item back (working or not) you then have to refund the buyer.

If you don't accept the return, ebay will refund the buyer with your funds and the buyer does not have to return the item.

So which of those options sounds better? 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks! I've will follow your answer to a tee. I don't know how, but most other sellers in reply seem to think I don't know the "money back gaurentee" and just didn't read the "item does work" issue

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Because eBay doesn't care IF you tested it before shipping it. The buyer SAID it doesn't work. eBay will side with the buyer. You will NEVER win a case like that, NEVER. eBay doesn't know if it was sent broken, broken in shipment, or that it works as advertised. And they don't care. 

A buyer can make up any reason for a return, and the seller has to offer a return/refund. A no returns policy never means no refunds. It is senseless to even use that type of policy. It likely invites more false return than anything. Buyers know if a seller tries to not take the item back, eBay will just refund them and let them keep the item a few days later. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply