cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sell as Lot" - should be simple. but it's not. Confusing for both sellers and buyers.

If I want to sell 2 of the exact same item as "a lot" and sell those for a different price than 2 of the same item sold from a multiple item fixed price listing,  how do I do this?

If I list 2 lots of 2 available, the buyer sees the item page with clarifying text from eBay.  It says

• 2 lots available (2 items per lot)

But if I list only 1 lot of 2, the clarifying text from eBay disappears from the item page for the buyer. 

ebay's directions on  how to WRITE these listings is the most confusing part.

To simplify, let's just say I have multiples of the exact item available (no variations and in this example the term "lot" is not meant to mean a mixed bag of similar items...so just get that out of your head for now).    

I can sell these as a multiple-item Fixed Price BIN listing.  Simple.  Let's say they are $20 each with free shipping.  There's no combined shipping (just leave that out for simplification) .  A buyer wants to buy 2, he pays $40.  Simple. 

Let's say I want to just try out the eBay "sell as lot" option and offer to buyers 2 of these exact same items in a lot of 2 for $36 total or $18 each.   And I want to offer only 1 lot on eBay at a time (the buyer can only buy 1 lot in a transaction... my Quantity Available will be 1 for this listing).

How do I do that?  What will the buyer see?

MOST IMPORTANTLY:  How do I write up the item?  Is the Item Title supposed to say "lot of 2?" Is the description supposed to write out that it's a "lot of 2?"  Are the photos supposed to show 2 itemse next to each other.

It's not clear.  It's just confusing. 

Let's see how many different responses we get on this one.

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

"Sell as Lot" - should be simple. but it's not. Confusing for both sellers and buyers.

You want to sell them both in the same listing together, right?

Widget AAA Lot of 2 Rest Of Title

@d-k_treasures wrote:

You want to sell them both in the same listing together, right?

Widget AAA Lot of 2 Rest Of Title

Yes, this.^

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Just show the 2 items together in the main gallery photo and indicate a quantity of 1 for the auction-style or fixed-price listing. Everything in the photo and description for "one money."

Many of my listings are this way -- notice I group several related items together? I don't always mention the word "lot" or check the little box on the SYI form. The photo(s) and product description speak for themselves.

If you want fixed-price listings with a variable quantity (buyer chooses the number), then specify a total available quantity. (See, for example, my listings for posters.) Auctions are automatically a quantity of "1" regardless of the number of items -- all for one money.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
Just show the 2 items together in the main gallery photo and indicate a quantity of 1 for the auction-style or fixed-price listing. Everything in the photo and description for "one money."

Many of my listings are this way -- notice I group several related items together? I don't always mention the word "lot" or check the little box on the SYI form. The photo(s) and product description speak for themselves.

If you want fixed-price listings with a variable quantity (buyer chooses the number), then specify a total available quantity. (See, for example, my listings for posters.) Auctions are automatically a quantity of "1" regardless of the number of items -- all for one money.

~~C~~

"one money" is supposed to add clarity? Never heard that phrase.  (I'm American, 55 yrs old.)

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@stoneledge wrote:

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

~~C~~

"one money" is supposed to add clarity? Never heard that phrase.  (I'm American, 55 yrs old.)

Auction term - "Here we have a group of pottery planters, all for one money".

I sell lots and buy lots all the time. You're overthinking the process. As others have said - advertise " Lot of X number" and compleat your title.

Best of luck!

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

duchess, Just curious. You say you sometimes check the "lot" box, sometimes not. Do you have a particular reason for NOT checking it? I would think if the box isn't checked, your lot won't show up in the "search by lot" filter, so I would have thought it would be best to always check the box (even if only a small percentage of buyers use the lot filter. So I'm wondering if there's some business advantage I hadn't considered in NOT checking it?
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
duchess, Just curious. You say you sometimes check the "lot" box, sometimes not. Do you have a particular reason for NOT checking it? I would think if the box isn't checked, your lot won't show up in the "search by lot" filter, so I would have thought it would be best to always check the box (even if only a small percentage of buyers use the lot filter. So I'm wondering if there's some business advantage I hadn't considered in NOT checking it?

It would depend on the type of lot, and if it really is a lot or just multiples of the same thing.

I would not check the lot box on the listing I have up now for a lot of 2. But if I were selling 30 broken ones, I would.

@tunicaslot wrote:

I sell lots and buy lots all the time. You're overthinking the process. As others have said - advertise " Lot of X number" and compleat your title.

Best of luck!

Yeah I'm still confused.    But I'll go with it.

Someone mentioned that one reason to use the Sell as Lot is that the listing could show up more often for some buyers if you do that.  

Thanks all.  I still find the structure of these confusing.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@stoneledge

Why would you only list one lot at a time ?

Say you have 5 lots of two each, you make qty avalible 5.

Then if someone wants two lots, they can buy 2 of the available 5.

It keeps your listing up and shows 2 sold 3 available.

I can't speak to the lot check box, never used it.

I just put "lot of 2" in the title.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@stoneledge

Why would you only list one lot at a time ?

If I had one lot of x units  to sell

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@stoneledge

@stoneledge wrote:

If I want to sell 2 of the exact same item as "a lot" and sell those for a different price than 2 of the same item sold from a multiple item fixed price listing,  how do I do this?

If I list 2 lots of 2 available, the buyer sees the item page with clarifying text from eBay.  It says

• 2 lots available (2 items per lot)

But if I list only 1 lot of 2, the clarifying text from eBay disappears from the item page for the buyer. 

ebay's directions on  how to WRITE these listings is the most confusing part.

To simplify, let's just say I have multiples of the exact item available (no variations and in this example the term "lot" is not meant to mean a mixed bag of similar items...so just get that out of your head for now).    

I can sell these as a multiple-item Fixed Price BIN listing.  Simple.  Let's say they are $20 each with free shipping.  There's no combined shipping (just leave that out for simplification) .  A buyer wants to buy 2, he pays $40.  Simple. 

Let's say I want to just try out the eBay "sell as lot" option and offer to buyers 2 of these exact same items in a lot of 2 for $36 total or $18 each.   And I want to offer only 1 lot on eBay at a time (the buyer can only buy 1 lot in a transaction... my Quantity Available will be 1 for this listing).

Well that is why I thought you had more than one lot.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I'm lost. I don't understand your comments.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

vw
Thrill-Seeker