cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Please Enter A Valid UPC/ISBN"

When I created a new listing the other day for a new book (it released 05.01.2021) I enter the UPC/ISBN number and ebay returns an error and asks to enter correct UPC/ISBN...well I did, 3x and every time I got error. So I then proceeded by entering "Does Not Apply" and then wrote it in the description of the listing. The UPC is also the ISBN for this item and it's right on the factory sealed book on a sticker with a barcode. Is it that ebay is just at random telling people what is a valid UPC/ISBN or is it that for this item being the one number acts for both ebay is saying it's not valid? Just curious. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@nuclearomen 

I get this from time to time on older items where the e-Bay catalog has the wrong referenced UPC or ISBN-11 or -13 , etc.  I've had to enter "does not apply" to get it listed.  Most Buyers do not search by that field, but is still annoying/frustrating. 

I remember reading also that Google search needs/wants that field entered?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@katzrul15 
idk, every time I ever enter UPC or ISBN it saves without issue.. that's why was curious. 

Ebay says people search by UPC/ISBN but i don't know how many that is true for, use to be that number had to be in the item title to find anything on search but idk maybe they changed that. Google may want it, but none of my listings have ever been rejected by google and tons have no UPC that applies. 

In any case, guess it doesn't matter as I sold the book last night...out of stock until I get another shipment in a few weeks. It's large heavy book (weighs almost 7 pounds)

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Congrats on the sale!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"Ebay says people search by UPC / ISBN, but i don't know how many that is true for. . .."

Me neither, and I've been selling books since 1965 (pre-ISBN).  The number of my customers who have ever walked up to the counter in all those years,  and requested a title by ISBN / IPC is ZILCH.

ISBN / UPC codes are handy for inventory and accounting purposes; but they'll never replace book titles and book authors.

And try going to any library, anywhere in the world, and attempting to have a librarian hunt down a book for you by ISBN.  No, I mean it -- librarians deserve a good laugh, now and then. . ..

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

"Ebay says people search by UPC / ISBN, but i don't know how many that is true for. . .."

Me neither, and I've been selling books since 1965 (pre-ISBN).  The number of my customers who have ever walked up to the counter in all those years,  and requested a title by ISBN / IPC is ZILCH.

ISBN / UPC codes are handy for inventory and accounting purposes; but they'll never replace book titles and book authors.

And try going to any library, anywhere in the world, and attempting to have a librarian hunt down a book for you by ISBN.  No, I mean it -- librarians deserve a good laugh, now and then. . ..

I agree, but ebay wants them, majority of stuff I distribute do not contain UPC but when they do I enter them, never had issue before just with this one item. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

eBay pushes buyer searches into a product based format which is primarily based on isbn in the book category. That probably plays a role in eBay saying that buyers search by those numbers. It’s an indirect search.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Perhaps ebay now considers books without an ISBN to be 'antiques' and belong in a different category, or if they haven't been re-issued with an ISBN, too old to be worth selling?  Who's going to read a 50 year old book?  Just rent the movie.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

When I created a new listing the other day for a new book (it released 05.01.2021) I enter the UPC/ISBN number and ebay returns an error and asks to enter correct UPC/ISBN...well I did, 3x and every time I got error. So I then proceeded by entering "Does Not Apply" and then wrote it in the description of the listing. The UPC is also the ISBN for this item and it's right on the factory sealed book on a sticker with a barcode. Is it that ebay is just at random telling people what is a valid UPC/ISBN or is it that for this item being the one number acts for both ebay is saying it's not valid? Just curious. 

It's very likely the database for ISBN's and the different formats are not regularly updated. I have found major issues inputting Canadian ISBN's routinely. As for errors and recently printed books that is a whole other can of worms. Lastly ISBN's can cause major problems especially for anyone selling mixed lots.

-Lotz (Lists lots of mixed Lotz - Item specifics/etc can definitely increase the time it takes to create listings.)

Message 9 of 9
latest reply