cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“privatized” listings

i am kinda new at selling multible items and i recently received this message from a buyer. i would just like to know what i am being told. this is the message

Your “privatized” listings have prevented me, & other buyers from bidding on listings with this feature. Which does not protect the buyers identities! Please note: No one has access to a buyers identity with initials that mean absolutely nothing! Example: d....k or c----g, or any other combination of letters. They do not identify a buyer! Privatized listings only prevents buyer’s from bidding on these items. We want to know the track record in the last 30 days of buyers we are bidding against. It tells us our competitors bidding habits, & strengthens a higher bid to compete. Example: In an active auction If one or more bidders have previously won all or most of the items he bid on, it tells us he bids higher than the items worth, & will end up with that item, ( almost every time.) Knowing this if I want that item, it allows me to also bid higher than the items worth, giving me & others a better chance of winning the item, raising bids in sellers favor. Your comments appreciated

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

“privatized” listings

Some buyers don't like to bid on private listings they think maybe something funky is going on .

If you wish to have private listings you can . But there is no real need to do so in your case.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

“privatized” listings

thank you for that. i did not realise i was actually doing that. 

very helpfull.  if i have that happening on a listing that has bids on it now can i reverse it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

“privatized” listings

Probably better to ask on the Selling Board.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/bd-p/selling-db

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

“privatized” listings

@chrysylys wrote:

Probably better to ask on the Selling Board.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/bd-p/selling-db

Well, it ended up here anyway.

“privatized” listings

@jerseyjunker1 wrote:
 ...  if i have that happening on a listing that has bids on it now can i reverse it.

No, you can't change the "Private" status of an auction after it has received a bid.  Imagine the dismay of a bidder who had counted on it being Private!

Some members have a deep distrust of Private listings, but often that is based on a misunderstanding of the bidding process or excessive suspicion about the seller's intentions.  However, some bidders appreciate it because it makes their purchases harder to track down.  A truly snoopy friend or relative can  find out your purchases by tracking back to the Seller's feedback, but not if the listing was set up as Private. And of course this is the snoopiest time of the year.

By the way, any potential buyer who sent me a tirade like that would probably end up on my blocked bidders list.  Who knows what else might set them off!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

“privatized” listings

@jerseyjunker1 wrote:
 .... Example: In an active auction If one or more bidders have previously won all or most of the items he bid on, it tells us he bids higher than the items worth, & will end up with that item, ( almost every time.) Knowing this if I want that item, it allows me to also bid higher than the items worth, giving me & others a better chance of winning the item, raising bids in sellers favor....

Ironically, in one of the categories I sell in, private listings are used for exactly the opposite reason:  Collectors know the camouflaged IDs of the other collectors and will avoid bidding on an auction where they see the camouflaged ID of a competitor who is known to have deep pockets, rather than striving to outbid them as your potential buyer theorizes. So sellers set up their auctions as Private because otherwise the bidding will be inhibited if a deep-pocketed collector's ID shows up.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

“privatized” listings

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Some members have a deep distrust of Private listings,

And some of us prefer them for reason different than you posted.  We enjoy our privacy over and above all else.  But then different categories draw different buyers.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

“privatized” listings

OP, that bidder does not need to know anything other than what the item is worth to him and what his max bid will be.  

That info is unnecessary to determining his bid.

The whole tone of that message makes me uneasy.  You should never have received something like that.  You might want to protect yourself as suggested above.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply