cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lack of proper email addresses of buyers

It is our policy when a buyer is upset about a delivery delay, we request USPS.com to send them updates to their email address on record advising them of any updated scanned delivery information.  So now we do not get the buyer's email address and therefore we cannot request this service available with USPS.com.  It was a great way to show the buyers that we are as concerned as they are with their delivery and  that we are monitoring the delivery.  I know, I know, the buyer can track the item on their own, but in most cases they do not do this and look to us sellers for direction.  We have smoothed over many of feathers with buyers showing them that we care and are doing everything in our power to expedite their delivery.  Also, we have certain items that we cannot insure for the actual amount through eBay shipping and were forced to go to a third party shipping company (after PayPal and now managed payments) so that we can insure for actual value of the item and now this shipping company props us continuously of a failed error due to the email address presented by eBay, which in turn adds another step for us after shipment.   Would like to hear thoughts and resolutions as we are responsible and concerned sellers.  Stay safe and be well.........

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sellers can share their phone number with buyers, it's a setting in Comminications with Buyers or something like that. I think it shows up in the Order Details.

You can get the email address, look at the 'orders' page, then click on the 'ebay transaction'. Also, if not in MP yet, look at PP, click 'refund' and you will see the address.

FYI- most everyone's email is flooded and seldom does anyone look at their email, but it's worth a try.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

thoughts>>>>

Well I think eBay will do it their way no mater what.

To many complaints due to emails being incorrectly used so eBay found a solution.

Keep it in and on eBay.

Now if they can only find a solution to the phone number same problem situation....ROTFLOL.

Sarcasm folks....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Oh, my. If I ever buy anything from you, PLEASE do not give a third party my email address and ask them to send me emails.

I just cannot tell you how inappropriate it is for you to do that, IMO! To "subscribe" someone to a USPS email service, or that of any other carrier, is so wrong!

If you were to suggest that THE BUYER sign up for the service, and you provide the buyer with the link so they can sign up themselves, that's one thing. But for you to sign them up with their email address? Wow. Just, NO!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Honestly as a buyer I hate it when sellers email me directly.  I don't want your newletters, I don't want to get spammed with feedback requests, I don't need custom invoices.  Just send me my stuff please...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"It is our policy when a buyer is upset about a delivery delay, we request USPS.com to send them updates to their email address on record advising them of any updated scanned delivery information."

Change your policy!

Just responding to an impatient buyer with a genuine response shows you care.

It is not your privilege or right to use someones email to sign them up for any service without their permission, if that's what you are doing, and especially to give it to third parties who may have questionable ethics.

If they agree to this, then great.

I sometimes sign up my own email for USPS tracking updates, but rarely because of the redundant spamming that can result.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

You can get the email address, look at the 'orders' page, then click on the 'ebay transaction'.

Not any  more. On my most recent order the "email address" was 0371640e72db22d70722@members.ebay.com

That then takes me to the contact buyer page - but the contact is through eBay - not their email directly.

And I am in agreement with others that I would be furious if, for any reason, someone else passed my actual email along to a third party. I get enough spam as it is.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

There have been lots of changes to ebay and paypal. Big changes. Changes that make it difficult to send QUICK refunds to buyers at times. If you have their email address then as a last resort you can use the PP send money feature (yes, I know it is not advisable unless you trust the buyer and its a small refund).

I had to ask the buyer to send me a PP money request so I could refund him.

Sad.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your thoughts!  I guess we can just keep on taking the extra steps to message the individual buyer through the eBay messaging system every time we get a notify from USPS.com updating their delivery scan.  Never really thought that being a responsible seller that would lead to something so inappropriate as you imply.  Your input is appreciated............

Message 10 of 10
latest reply