cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international selling, is there anything else I need to know about it?

First time trying to sell outside of the US.  Is there any fees associated with it?  Is it the same as regular shipping?  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

When a buyer's primary shipping address is in another country, the seller is charged an extra 1.65% if the seller is shipping directly or using the ebay international standard delivery service.  If you use the new ebay international shipping service, that fee isn't charged but delivery may take longer.

Your item isn't expensive so it may not be a problem but if you are using first class international, you may want to limit shipping to specific countries that have delivery confirmation for first class. There is a list of those countries at the following link.    https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

You can block specific countries in your shipping preferences.

Some sellers do prefer to get a little more experience selling with the US before selling internationally.  There are a few more pitfalls. For example, if the buyer opens a not as described claim, you are responsible for paying for return shipping if they are in the US or in another country.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

International shipping will be obviously more expensive based on what country it is going to.   You will pay final value fee on the shipping total - so take that into consideration when you price an item.

Ebay use to offer their international shipping service which is cheaper. 

I have not sold in over a year but for the 20 plus years here I had no issues selling International.  The only main issue I had was items would take forever getting through Customs in India and Russia.  ( 3 months or more) but the people did eventually get the item.

I stopped selling in India only because the  Customs office is lazy and lets packages sit for a log time.

I also made sure I use Priority mail with tracking.  That saves your butt as it does show where your package is overseas.

First class does not have tracking overseas- I would no longer take the change on that outcome.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@kraftique wrote:

International shipping will be obviously more expensive based on what country it is going to.   You will pay final value fee on the shipping total - so take that into consideration when you price an item.

Ebay use to offer their international shipping service which is cheaper. 

I have not sold in over a year but for the 20 plus years here I had no issues selling International.  The only main issue I had was items would take forever getting through Customs in India and Russia.  ( 3 months or more) but the people did eventually get the item.

I stopped selling in India only because the  Customs office is lazy and lets packages sit for a log time.

I also made sure I use Priority mail with tracking.  That saves your butt as it does show where your package is overseas.

First class does not have tracking overseas- I would no longer take the change on that outcome.

Good luck.

@kraftique 

Some of your information is incorrect.  When a seller sells to another country, their fvf is based on the lowest domestic shipping cost, not the international cost that the buyer paid.    So if you are shipping to the UK and you ship domestically using usps first class, your fvf will be based on shipping first class within your own city.

As mentioned in my earlier post, usps first class international has delivery confirmation in a number of countries.   Some sellers limit their shipping locations to countries that have that service.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@briabernin_0 

You might want to make sure what ever you are selling to the buyer in that particular country is allowed in by customs.   You can always google it.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you are considering selling outside of the US I would strongly suggest you look into the eBay International Shipping program. The foreign marketplace which very extensive does add some additional risks with regards to shipping, scams, returns, etc. With the EIS program you don't worry about the international shipping costs, customs forms, VAT taxes.........  You simply ship the item to the domestic hub in Chicago and the EIS program takes care of it from there. Your responsibility ends with deliver to the EIS hub. 

In addition the EIS program offers seller protections that many sellers have wished for, for years. You are basically protected from about any buyer situation you can think of. Following is a link that describes the program, the restrictions, the seller protections and how to "opt" into it. Based on a few postings eBay seems to be standing behind the seller protections. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin... 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I shipped internationally for years until the pandemic (I don't have much that would interest people overseas so haven't bothered starting up again).  I never used any of eBay's programs and always just shipped myself, generally first class international.  The only thing I did was on this site exclude countries where there have been problems with customs - nothing against the countries or the people there, just their customs and mail systems can get dicey.  The other site where I sold I just shipped anywhere.  Figuring out shipping is extremely easy for first class, basically there's shipping to Canada and shipping everywhere else, in 4 increments.

My advice is to start shipping to a few countries and get your feet wet, whether you ship yourself or use eBay's service.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I haven't sold in over a year so maybe things have changed.  I am just going by what I remember when I sold.  I  do not remember any first class tracking for international but if that has changed that is a great change.

Thank you for you input.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You don't qualify to ship internationally, at least on your own:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/selling-internationally?id=4132

Before you can sell internationally, you'll need to:

Have an eBay account in good standing
Have earned at least 10 feedback points as a seller
Have made your first successful sale more than 90 days ago
Post in an eligible category. Ineligible categories for international sales include Video Games, Movies & TV, Hunting knives, Auto parts, and Vehicles
Offering shipping to the United Kingdom, Europe, or worldwide.

You may be able to use Ebay's international delivery service:  https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-labels-services/ebay-international-shipping-services...    I'm not sure what the requirements for using it are.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 9
latest reply