cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insured packages and USPS policies... what are they?

shipped a $300 insured package to Florida.

was left on the front porch today...

recently was a thread on this board about sig conf...

the thread went on about insured packages.

1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf...

a signature from anyone in the house.

was it a false statement?

the USPS really takes that much of a chance with packages now?

i mean the recipient is a friend of mine.

only bad thing that could happen is theft from the front porch.

just texted her, hope she gets home really soon.

what bothers me the same friend, recently had a package showing delivered when it never was...

her post master pretty much told her; too bad it shows delivered.

she was lucky.

the package was mis-delivered and the wrong recipient was honest enough to return it.

at the end she got it.

doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?

thanks...

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

You paid 2 dollars and something extra to have that package signed for. , not dropped off on a porch where it could have been stolen. It defeated the whole purpose of having signature tracking and it was wrong.
Message 31 of 54
latest reply

You paid 2 dollars and something extra to have that package signed for. , not dropped off on a porch where it could have been stolen. It defeated the whole purpose of having signature tracking and it was wrong.

The OP did not pay for Signature Confirmation.

The OP paid for insurance that did not require a signature.

USPS postal carriers should NEVER leave a package on a doorstep without a signature--that is NOT the way that package should have been delivered. Bad move on the carriers part. Report it.

When the sender has not paid for a service that requires a signature, the carrier delivers the package without a signature.

Nothing to report.

Message 32 of 54
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

USPS is not responsible for thieves stealing packages. Once it is delivered it is the responsibility of the homeowner. If your friend lives in a crime area I would suggest telling them to contact their local PO and tell them to not leave packages and instead leave a notice for pickup, It's a common sense thing.

u know what my question has been replied to, already...

and i don't need a lecture...

what i said earlier was just an opinion/statement.

no amount of arguing would change my mind/opinion.

not we have the right to disagree, but...

it is the carrier's choice to leave a package unattended on a front porch, not mine and not my friend....

my opinion is (which is not for debate for i can sense from this thread it would be an endless chat);

common sense would be to leave a notice.

the mail delivery people there, know very well what kind of neighborhood it is.

i paid close to $20 to have this package shipped and delivered but NOT to be left on a front porch.

if a package doesn't fit in the mail box (and this one didn't) they should leave a notice, period.

PS; my friend got the package as i mentioned earlier so it is all good.

doesn't mean i have to agree with such practices...

There are many ways to prevent this happening.

As a sender, choose Signature Tracking.

As a home owner, provide a large enough mailbox to hold your packages, Provide a container to hide packages in that are too large for the mailbox, Put in a hold for pick-up order, rent a PO Box.

wouldn't it be simpler for the USPS to leave a notice?

Message 33 of 54
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

USPS is not responsible for thieves stealing packages. Once it is delivered it is the responsibility of the homeowner. If your friend lives in a crime area I would suggest telling them to contact their local PO and tell them to not leave packages and instead leave a notice for pickup, It's a common sense thing.

it is the carrier's choice to leave a package unattended on a front porch, not mine and not my friend....

my opinion is (which is not for debate for i can sense from this thread it would be an endless chat);

i paid close to $20 to have this package shipped and delivered but NOT to be left on a front porch.

if a package doesn't fit in the mail box (and this one didn't) they should leave a notice, period.

Have received packages from USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc  left at our front door for  ions, can't  ever recall a written  note stating  your package is at the front door or we  are holding - come get it.  People that are  inclined to steal stuff are not confined to "rough" neighborhoods.  They seem to be  just about everywhere.  Our  PD refers to those folks as "side walk shoppers".

What  would happen if the thieve stole the  package  and this note you want  or the wind blew the  note away or a dog ate it.  No where in USPS/UPS?FedEX policy says if you pay $20.00 or any other amount for  shipping  is anyone entitled to having a written notification be given to the recipient that a  package was delivered. The most one can hope for is the delivery  person rigngs the  door bell and the dog  barks (our does & we didn't even  have to train her to do it).   Come to think of it, the  tracking number  does give you all the info you need  plus more and in fact it shows what time of day it was delivered and one  can be anywhere, especially if one has  one of those "smarter than  me phones" to access the  delviery status at any time they want & get advanced notification the package is Out For Delivery - that should be enough even  if you paid $20 for postage.

can't read ur reply... 

too tiny...

lack or paragraphs...

anyway... the little i got...

only mentioned the kind of neighborhood for a poster has mentioned this issue in a reply to me...

this thread is becoming u said i said...

my opinion is the USPS should leave a notice and that is all...

just a statement, just an opinion...

my question about signature at a $200 insurance value has already been answered in the first reply...

the poster also said that leaving packages on a front porch is at the sole discretion of the carrier based on weather, safety etc...

meaning the carrier has the choice to leave it there or to leave a notice.

again "or to leave a notice".

i mean how hard is that?...

when i lived in ABQ NM, USPS carriers would leave packages on the front porch in plain view of the street and free access from the sidewalk (no fence, no gate)...

not even a chair or a planter on the porch to conceal a package.

i mean i always made it a point to be home.

but my neighbor didn't care (duplex).

when i questioned her if worried.

she didn't care.

her answer; i always pay with a credit card... i am covered...

Message 34 of 54
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

shipped a $300 insured package to Florida.

was left on the front porch today...

recently was a thread on this board about sig conf...

the thread went on about insured packages.

1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf...

a signature from anyone in the house.

was it a false statement?

the USPS really takes that much of a chance with packages now?

i mean the recipient is a friend of mine.

only bad thing that could happen is theft from the front porch.

just texted her, hope she gets home really soon.

what bothers me the same friend, recently had a package showing delivered when it never was...

her post master pretty much told her; too bad it shows delivered.

she was lucky.

the package was mis-delivered and the wrong recipient was honest enough to return it.

at the end she got it.

doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?

thanks...

For future reference, not quite true.. If the recipient is willing to go the extra mile and raise enough of a stink to file a claim and supply an affadavit they never received it

are u saying that even if it shows "delivered" (but to the wrong address), the insurance could work?

i mean my friend got the package but it would be good to know for future reference...

i mean that is not what the postmaster told her...

she insisted and said at first; nothing can be done...

Message 35 of 54
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Just as an aside, I'm sure pretty soon the package carriers will have a way for you to sign up for text alerts on your packages when their GPS shows within a mile or 1/2 mile or so of your address so if you are around, you can come out and get it, or if you aren't around, call your neighbor to pick it up. It wouldn't be that hard to implement in this day and age.

i buy a lot online, not just ebay...

i always use tracking to make sure i am home...

it would be easier to have a specific time rather than morning or afternoon.

with the usps it could be all day...

so what u talk about wouldn't be hard to do...

then again leaving a notice to recipients shouldn't be that complicated either...

Message 36 of 54
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

USPS, FedEx and UPS of course will not leave a written note when they deliver a package. We leave notes when we ATTEMPT to deliver a package. FedEx and UPS have forms called door tags that have a sticky back. USPS has the form 3849 a tan/peach colored form that is 3"x5" that will be left in your mailbox with that days mail. Because they are either stuck to your door or in your mailbox it is unlikely (unless you have goats, see next paragraph) that it would go missing.

True there is some crime everywhere. Even here, dang goat reached in while I was unloading feed and grabbed 2 letters from the stack of mail I had just pulled out of my mailbox. One was something from the Trump campaign and I was very worried it would make her sick (as the sight of his face turns my gut). I got about half back (much more than anyone that fell for Trump U ever got back. 

Bottom line is you know your area, if you can not provide a safe place for packages you should make on or make arrangements to pick up at the carriers location.

As for ringing the doorbell. Unless we need to collect a signature or funds WE ARE NOT TO RING OR KNOCK.  People sleep , people have babies that sleep, people have dogs that go ballistic if the bell is rung. So standard across all carriers is IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO YOU DELIVER AS UNOBTRUSIVELY AS YOU CAN.

I don't understand your fixation of a $20 price point. 

u r replying to another but it probably was meant for me the OP...

my fixation?

because i referred to $20 once in 1 of my reply?

u talk like u are a carrier.

how hard is it to leave a note in 1's mailbox?

why should 1 provide a safe place for anything that doesn't fit in the mail box?

wouldn't it be easier for USPS to leave a notice?

or perhaps it is an inconvenience for the carrier having to take back so many packages to the USPS location?

Message 37 of 54
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

The OP did not pay for Signature Confirmation.

The OP paid for insurance that did not require a signature.

USPS postal carriers should NEVER leave a package on a doorstep without a signature--that is NOT the way that package should have been delivered. Bad move on the carriers part. Report it.

When the sender has not paid for a service that requires a signature, the carrier delivers the package without a signature.

Nothing to report.

no i didn't pay for sig conf...

but users should go back to my OP.

i was under the impression that a signature from a live person was requested for anything insured above $200...

a poster had made that comment recently on a thread about sig conf.

so please to all.... go back to my OP...

Postmaster confirmed it was a false statement (it changed to $500).

my opinion has NOT changed.

USPS is my choice of shipping (selling and buying).

in my book delivery is in MY mailbox, NOT left unattended on a front porch.

how hard is it for the USPS to leave a notice?

yesterday the carrier left a poster tube out (in between the mail boxes) for 1 of the tenants.

it is the monsoon season in SF...

so much for common sense as 1 referred to...

soooo wrong...

Message 38 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

As a home owner, provide a large enough mailbox to hold your packages, Provide a container to hide packages in that are too large for the mailbox, Put in a hold for pick-up order, rent a PO Box.

No, we are paid to deliver the package. Unless a signature is necessary in order to do so we do what we were paid to do. Deliver the package. 

Message 39 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Just as an aside, I'm sure pretty soon the package carriers will have a way for you to sign up for text alerts on your packages when their GPS shows within a mile or 1/2 mile or so of your address so if you are around, you can come out and get it, or if you aren't around, call your neighbor to pick it up. It wouldn't be that hard to implement in this day and age.

then again leaving a notice to recipients shouldn't be that complicated either...

Kinda backwards on that. There is only a hour and a half window that I would be in for any address on my route from the lightest of days to the heaviest. At home I know my mail carrier will be here between 11:30 and 1pm.

FedEx and UPS can deliver at my address anytime between 8am to 8pm.

As for leaving a notice not being complicated. 

Delivering a package, I scan it and put it in the mailbox or take it to the house and scan it. 

Leaving a notice. I go to the door, ring and wait (about a minute). I return to the Jeep. write out a notice, change the scan to attempted and scan the barcode on the back of the 3849. Put this with the mail in the mailbox. (should note here that this can require me to backtrack to a safe place to turn around).  Returning to the PO this requires me to stop and hand off the package to the Retail Office (open 4 hours a day) before returning to the work office. 

If the customer chooses to collect the package they have to be there between 1 and 4pm. If they can't then they sign and return the 3849 to the mailbox where I pick it up. I then collect the package and place it with the signed 3849 in my area for the following days delivery. Next day I scan it and also the back of the 3849 placing the package in the mailbox or at the house. 

Not complicated but time consuming making your package delivery 3 days later than the first attempt. 

Message 40 of 54
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

No, we are paid to deliver the package. Unless a signature is necessary in order to do so we do what we were paid to do. Deliver the package. 

that includes delivering to a front porch?

leaving a poster tube in the rain?

i always thought the USPS was different than UPS or Fedex.

so disappointed...

well might be time to give them some of my business to them then.

the USPS had always been my choice for shipping (100% buying and selling).

are u an USPS employee?

if yes.... i am glad that most employees i have dealt with, were not as abrasive as u r...

i don't see how leaving a notice in a mail box would be that hard?

and ur answer is wrong...

it is not that it wouldn't be easier, it is that you r not paid to do so... (ur words).... big difference...

wonder where Postmaster got this info then; (quote)

If there's nobody home then the carrier is supposed to use his own discretion when deciding whether to leave a notice or the package itself, based on risk factors like theft and weather. The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5. In this case, it's probably the same carrier who mis-delivered that other package.

will call my postmaster in the morning and see what she knows...

Message 41 of 54
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Kinda backwards on that. There is only a hour and a half window that I would be in for any address on my route from the lightest of days to the heaviest. At home I know my mail carrier will be here between 11:30 and 1pm.

FedEx and UPS can deliver at my address anytime between 8am to 8pm.

As for leaving a notice not being complicated. 

Delivering a package, I scan it and put it in the mailbox or take it to the house and scan it. 

Leaving a notice. I go to the door, ring and wait (about a minute). I return to the Jeep. write out a notice, change the scan to attempted and scan the barcode on the back of the 3849. Put this with the mail in the mailbox. (should note here that this can require me to backtrack to a safe place to turn around).  Returning to the PO this requires me to stop and hand off the package to the Retail Office (open 4 hours a day) before returning to the work office. 

If the customer chooses to collect the package they have to be there between 1 and 4pm. If they can't then they sign and return the 3849 to the mailbox where I pick it up. I then collect the package and place it with the signed 3849 in my area for the following days delivery. Next day I scan it and also the back of the 3849 placing the package in the mailbox or at the house. 

Not complicated but time consuming making your package delivery 3 days later than the first attempt. 

time consuming but safer than leaving a package on a front porch unattended.

well at least this reply is a little friendlier than ur other...

enough said anyway, it is getting late...

PS; i don't well with people telling "i am not paid to do so"...

worked 25/30 years in the hospitality business.

even if true that would have been the worst thing i could have said to a customer...

Message 42 of 54
latest reply

Yes that includes leaving it on the porch. As to the rain, if it is raining or soon going to rain then it should be placed to protect it from weather. If you leave it sit out for sevaral days then yes, your bad not mine. 

I along with FedEx and UPS often deliver to this one home on my route. His packages are ALWAYS large and heavy (mine are usually 62#) he has a large wrap around porch and attached uncovered deck. Packages can sit there for up to 2 weeks at a time. I often move UPS and FedEx packages from the deck to the covered porches along with mine. NOT FUN as lifting them from the ground is worse than out of my back hatch. 

He has never complained about the packages that have gotten wet as the sub I did have also left packages on the deck and it did rain. I asked him if anything was damaged once. He replied that nothing but a bag of dog food and the dogs didn't mind it being a bit soggy. It was his fault that he didn't take them in over the weekend.

Message 43 of 54
latest reply

The  font size  of my post is the standard default selected by  eBay and used by tons of  other posters w/o having to change to any thing.  No need to  change for me.  Maybe it  is time  for an eye exam, when I turned 40  it was time to go to reading  glasses, at 65  time to  go to progressive lens glasses - the world is much clearer now or your can  increase the Display (monitor) viewing size by going to your control panel and selecting Appearnce & Personalization-  you should have 3 choice 100%, 125% & 150%.  Not  so  difficult too do.  Then  life will be more betta' for you.

Oh I see two paragraphs in my post that  should  suffice. 

As you stated your opinion I stated mine - touche'  But you  stated you can't read mine so it  seems you have little clue as to what I wrote.

Might suggest  you direct you thoughts to the  USPS Postmaster General.

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@johnrj1226 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

Have received packages from USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc  left at our front door for  ions, can't  ever recall a written  note stating  your package is at the front door or we  are holding - come get it.  People that are  inclined to steal stuff are not confined to "rough" neighborhoods.  They seem to be  just about everywhere.  Our  PD refers to those folks as "side walk shoppers".

What  would happen if the thieve stole the  package  and this note you want  or the wind blew the  note away or a dog ate it.  No where in USPS/UPS?FedEX policy says if you pay $20.00 or any other amount for  shipping  is anyone entitled to having a written notification be given to the recipient that a  package was delivered. The most one can hope for is the delivery  person rigngs the  door bell and the dog  barks (our does & we didn't even  have to train her to do it).   Come to think of it, the  tracking number  does give you all the info you need  plus more and in fact it shows what time of day it was delivered and one  can be anywhere, especially if one has  one of those "smarter than  me phones" to access the  delviery status at any time they want & get advanced notification the package is Out For Delivery - that should be enough even  if you paid $20 for postage.

can't read ur reply... 

too tiny...

lack or paragraphs...

anyway... the little i got...

only mentioned the kind of neighborhood for a poster has mentioned this issue in a reply to me...

this thread is becoming u said i said...

my opinion is the USPS should leave a notice and that is all...

just a statement, just an opinion...

my question about signature at a $200 insurance value has already been answered in the first reply...

the poster also said that leaving packages on a front porch is at the sole discretion of the carrier based on weather, safety etc...

meaning the carrier has the choice to leave it there or to leave a notice.

again "or to leave a notice".

i mean how hard is that?...

when i lived in ABQ NM, USPS carriers would leave packages on the front porch in plain view of the street and free access from the sidewalk (no fence, no gate)...

not even a chair or a planter on the porch to conceal a package.

i mean i always made it a point to be home.

but my neighbor didn't care (duplex).

when i questioned her if worried.

she didn't care.

her answer; i always pay with a credit card... i am covered...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 44 of 54
latest reply

With eBay and/or Pay Pal as  long  as the seller has a tracking number that shows delivered to the registered address they are  covered too.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 45 of 54
latest reply