cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

instant checkout

As a seller on ebay can I opt out of having ebay require my customers from having to make an instant payment? My auctions are not BUY IT NOW and do not have RESERVE PRICING?  Some of my customers prefer to wait to pay and I don't mind.  I've been selling since 1999 and I think this is ridiculous.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

instant checkout

As a seller on ebay can I opt out of having ebay require my customers from having to make an instant payment?
You are exempt since Instant Payment is only required for Buy-It-Now and accepted Offers and Counter-Offers.

Cancel unpaid items FAQs
https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2021-spring/business/

How long do I have to cancel a transaction if the buyer hasn’t paid?
You can cancel a transaction up to 30 days after the buyer commits to buy.

Can I handle unpaid items manually?
If you would like to handle unpaid items manually, you can do so by changing your “Preferences for items awaiting payment” at any time.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

instant checkout

Go into Account Settings> Selling Preferences>Your Buyers (manage who can buy from you) and look for this:

heckofagame_0-1704566391729.png

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

instant checkout

I just think it's funny.

The thing that you think is "ridiculous" (which is fine - your opinion) sellers have been screaming for for years.
Now that it's here.  Many sellers don't like it. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

instant checkout

@mewtwo2 

The requirements that were resulting in auto-pay/no combined shipping for your buyers can be found here. eBay placed them on your account with a default to YES, but they didn't do much until eBay forced BUYER IDs to comply. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

Also be advised that eBay is presently rolling out a new "feature, enhancement, test, intended change" that looks like a glitch.  As far as we know for the most part it is affecting buyer generated offers. Releasing your buyers from what was previously an "auto-pay" situation by changing the above mentioned preference to NO, does not have the desired effect of allowing buyers to combine items for one shipping price, requesting a total, of sending invoices.    Do read here for more on this topic. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Received-offers-turning-into-sent-offers/m-p/34183295#M2328738

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-payment-process-offers-auctions/

Changing those above mentioned preferences to NO,  at this time will NOT require a buyer to put up a payment source in order to make an offer or bid.  It is not a popular feature, and did discourage PAYING BUYERS who refused to participate since this limited their payment choices, and prevented combined shipping for a reduced shipping amount. 

The information regarding auctions, is limited at this point.  For those sellers that retain the buyer preferences set to yes, there will be a three day delay before the buyer starts getting auto-billed.  

Do let us know how this works out, as eBay is NOT TALKING about these new "enhancements" and it will be helpful to share your experiences. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

instant checkout

Now that it's here.  Many sellers don't like it. 

@inhawaii 

Many sellers did not know that eBay dropped those requirements on their accounts.  They did not know that keeping them once eBay forced BUYER IDs to participate would result in no more combined shipping invoicing, and severely limiting the buyer's payment options.   Nor did they realize that so many buyers would refuse to comply resulting in less sales.  

I would surmise eBay did not anticipate "buyer refusal" and is now in the process of rolling out changes to the process. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply