cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i'm begging for a setting

it's bad enough 25% of auction winners don't pay, the auction winner with 0 stars rarely pays. i can't stop it. i want a setting, not -2, -1, but 0-5 can't bid or something similar. i don't want 'go the buy now option mode' response. i know that. i rely on money daily, not maybe i get buyers in weeks, so it's not an option. please change this setting!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Only about 7% of Funko Pops are being offered at Auction the other 93% are Fixed price.

Given there are nearly half a million listed it should not be too hard to come up with a competitive Fixed Price, add IPR and your payment problems vanish.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I get the annoyance of non paying buyers, but BIN is the way to go if you want fast payments. I am honestly shocked eBay still lets people run auctions even. Kinda makes me wonder why they allow auctions still if they truly think GTC is such a good idea?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Take a step back and think about what you are saying as a business owner.  

I'll use Walmart for an example.  They typically have a Greeter at the door.  What if that Greeter started asking everyone, before they could enter the store, Have you every shop here before?  If the buyer answers no, the Greeter then informs them that I am sorry but you will need to leave as we won't serve customers we haven't served before.  REALLY!!!  

So how is Walmart to grow their customer base if they will only sell to those that have been a customer before?  How long do you think they would stay in business?

The same thing for Ebay.  If we don't welcome new members and/or we make it difficult for them to purchase, they will go somewhere else.  Sellers are typically asking Ebay to INCREASE buyers and you are asking for the exact opposite.

Now with all that said, I do respect the problem you are having.  But it is a simple one to resolve.  If auctions are not making money for you, stop running them.  You don't have to run auctions.  Do GTC with IPR [immediate payment required].  That will stop your non paying buyers all together as they can't purchase anything unless they pay.  Auctions aren't always the best way to go, in fact they are becoming less and less popular with buyers all the time.

Do your research and set your pricing correctly and you'll likely be fine.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I don't think I've had an Unpaid Item Dispute in  ten years? More?

But all my listings are Fixed Price. Most buyers pay immediately.  I don't even need to opt for Immediate Payment Required.

I also have my Seller Preferences/buyer Requirments set to automatically Block bidders /buyers who have Strikes for non-payment.

You selling to a demographic that wants Immediate Gratification. And your product is basically an impulse item which is pretty easy to obtain.

Fixed Price. Immediate Payment. Perhaps Free domestic Shipping.

DON'T PANIC copy.jpeg

Free Shipping just means adding the average cost of shipping to your asking price.

You could also add Best Offer with parameters for automatic acceptance or automatic refusal.

You could also double check to see how your listings look on a mobile. Most of your buyers are shopping on their phones.

And finally, sell internationally.

Things that are easy in the USA can be hard to find in Sweden, or even the United Kingdom.

You can Block countries that you never want to ship to (I won't ship to Russia, Saudi Arabia, Israel , or India.  YMMV), and if you use the Global Shipping Program you only have to get your package to the GSP plant in Kentucky and your responsibility for shipping ends.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I only use buy it now.

I would guesstimate that about 25% of my customers have "0" feedback.

I sure would hate to lose 25% of my customers. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@whoohooohyeahdavid wrote:

it's bad enough 25% of auction winners don't pay, the auction winner with 0 stars rarely pays. i can't stop it. i want a setting, not -2, -1, but 0-5 can't bid or something similar.

eBay will never, ever allow sellers to block new buyers from purchasing on the site. 

And that ignores the fact that the failure of eBay to attract enough new buyers is something many sellers here complain about.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There are many categories where auctions make total sense and sellers have no problem with nonpayment. Like vintage collectibles for instance.

it never made sense for sellers to run auctions for used shirts, however I do not see any reason for eBay to stop having auctions for appropriate usage.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:
I get the annoyance of non paying buyers, but BIN is the way to go if you want fast payments. I am honestly shocked eBay still lets people run auctions even. Kinda makes me wonder why they allow auctions still if they truly think GTC is such a good idea?

Um, that's a bit much. Sellers running auctions take on a bit more risk by enabling buyers who avoid payment later on, but that's not something they need protection from.

The key here, I think, is that there's no point in running an auction for a commonly-available item with a known retail value. The auction format ends up working against you in that scenario, as bidders can bid on multiple auctions, buy the lowest win they achieve and walk away from the others. Save the auction format for collectibles and other rare items where there are likely to be more paying bidders than items to pay for.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

You selling to a demographic that wants Immediate Gratification. And your product is basically an impulse item which is pretty easy to obtain.

Fixed Price. Immediate Payment. Perhaps Free domestic Shipping.

THIS.

Auctions do work, there is a very good reason they still exist.  But sellers must know when they will work and when they won't.

whoohooohyeahdavid

Your category is a prime example of when they don't work.

You say you are running auctions because you need money now, not having to wait for the buyers to find your Buy It Now.  But, how's that working for you?  Instead of waiting for someone to find your BIN, you are waiting for payment, filing the Unpaid Item Dispute, waiting for that to close, then relisting.

Seems like the BIN with Immediate Payment Required may be worth a try.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply