cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay encourages Photo Pirating through ebay's new No Watermark policy.

Yo Photo Sellers, it not just the hassle of changing all of our photo listings to be compliant, Now we, photo sellers, have no way of protecting our product from theft.  How can we sell a vintage, historic photo if we can not use a watermark?

Dave 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I suspect it will be a non-issue.   There is no practical way that ebay can enforce the no watermark policy.   Bots can't do it nor do they have enough staff to do it.

Ebay already has a policy against having words on your photos and they can't enforce that.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

They are saying it's because of Google which will read the watermark as graffiti and not show your listing in search if there is a watermark. I remember when google went https and it ruined our business for many months. Do you think this google thing is legit? It's not going to happen until next year.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@lobstercheesecake wrote:

They are saying it's because of Google which will read the watermark as graffiti and not show your listing in search if there is a watermark. I remember when google went https and it ruined our business for many months. Do you think this google thing is legit? It's not going to happen until next year.

Yes, Google announced this.  They want them gone.  Google it, you will find it to be true.  Just as it is Google pushing for UPCs and ISBNs.  Ebay didn't start that either.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

So here are my original photo and then the unwatermarked eBay version.eje662crop1.jpgeje662crop2.jpg

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply