cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year to

to replace the current listings based experience - and it will become the only way to shop on eBay, according to the company's CEO Devin Wenig. From ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/2/1519091217.html

"But Wenig described the biggest change coming to the site as a move from a listings based marketplace to a product based marketplace."

All you small sellers that don't sell new items. You can kiss your eBay business goodbye. New item small sellers, if you can't price compete with the big boys, your stuff will never be seen, until they all run out of inventory. Best price on everything on the site will be seen exclusively, the way the site will be laid out.

Message 1 of 565
latest reply
564 REPLIES 564

eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year to

@richardg559wrote:

So one of a kind, custom made or vintage hard to find parts will be finished. Most of the stuff I've bought from Ebay, I bought there because it could not be found any place else, and most of what I sell is custom made for a niche consumer market. With that business model everybody will just go user groups on face book or to Amazon or Wal-Mart for mass production products.

About 2 years ago, in the updates, eBay was pushing sellers of their own products to brand them and provide their own UPC's. This had to be in anticipation of these changes to come. 

Message 406 of 565
latest reply

@rustedcrowandoakstudiowrote:

I am wondering how this will effect my business. I sell handmade items. I am the creater. This is not my only avenue, but it is my best online. The way I read one of the ariticles, made it seem to be more, phone and electronic based changes. Not so much on the other things. Do I have that wrong?

Until Wenig decides to outline how the site will work for sellers of more unique, and vintage used, etc. we're all pretty much in the dark. I was hoping to is this stuff outlined in the Spring update, but it wasn't. I got very little out of it except for some pricing changes, and TRSP changes, along with a few this and that's. Even the vid was only 2 mins long. You can't say much in a 2 min vid with 3 people and a lot of pause.

Message 407 of 565
latest reply

Yes, I don`t ship outside USA and I blocked international buyers and still got from China. Because they have USA shipping address with another USA name. I had to call Ebay and ask it to help me to cancelled the transaction. Ebay helped and I no need ship to China even they have USA address.
Message 408 of 565
latest reply

I have long thought that Ebay was, for several years, slowly but surely forcing small sellers out of the picture via policy changes and this will probably do the trick. By small seller I mean the mom and pops who aren't running a business but are merely clearing stuff from around the house.

Message 409 of 565
latest reply

@wifetrainedwrote:

I have long thought that Ebay was, for several years, slowly but surely forcing small sellers out of the picture via policy changes and this will probably do the trick. By small seller I mean the mom and pops who aren't running a business but are merely clearing stuff from around the house.

A lot of sellers on this board have the same sentiment as you for the past couple of years. Everyone has this belief that eBay wants to convert the site over to just new product. The interesting thing is that eBay is has been fully aware of this sentiment among it's members, and even non members over the years, and never comes out with any type of press release nor announcement to debunk it.

Message 410 of 565
latest reply

I'm going to just continue to do the best I can.  Let's not worry about the what if's.  Ebay has been good to us letting us sell our stuff.  We just got roll with it and adjust our listings to conform to their policies.  I'm going to focus on selling as much as I can for now and think about backup venues just in case.

I wish everyone the best!

Message 411 of 565
latest reply

I agree, I looked through the seller update, and thought.... eh, doesn't really apply to me. But then I got the new updates to ebay user agreement, and saw the bit about going to the 'product based' shopping experience. Seems like they are not giving us much information to go by. And honestly, I can't see how it will help them in the long run. Not to long ago, my range micro broke.  So I came here looking for a new one. Just habit, I sell here, I buy here. But when it was Best Buy and Target, ect coming up in the ebay search..... why would I buy it from ebay, when I could go right to their site? That's what I did. So basically, ebay 'drove' me away from purchasing here. If that's what product based means..... I don't see it as a good thing.

Message 412 of 565
latest reply

@palmbeachclosetswrote:

I'm going to just continue to do the best I can.  Let's not worry about the what if's.  Ebay has been good to us letting us sell our stuff.  We just got roll with it and adjust our listings to conform to their policies.  I'm going to focus on selling as much as I can for now and think about backup venues just in case.

I wish everyone the best!

That's because, that's what type of business eBay chose to be. Plus without sellers, eBay would not make any money. No sellers means no buyers, which = no Fees, and no ad sponsors, nor no data to sell. 

Message 413 of 565
latest reply

@rustedcrowandoakstudiowrote:

I agree, I looked through the seller update, and thought.... eh, doesn't really apply to me. But then I got the new updates to ebay user agreement, and saw the bit about going to the 'product based' shopping experience. Seems like they are not giving us much information to go by. And honestly, I can't see how it will help them in the long run. Not to long ago, my range micro broke.  So I came here looking for a new one. Just habit, I sell here, I buy here. But when it was Best Buy and Target, ect coming up in the ebay search..... why would I buy it from ebay, when I could go right to their site? That's what I did. So basically, ebay 'drove' me away from purchasing here. If that's what product based means..... I don't see it as a good thing.

eBay will put out info in dribs and drabs, which leaves use relying on news leaks to get a better idea of what eBay is trying to do to the site and to us.

Message 414 of 565
latest reply

Stupid. Amazon already exists and he's determined to go head to head with them?!?? eBay will lose big time.  This explains why eBay Stock has been dropping. This will be their death knell. Sad. 
What happens to all of the collectible items and quality items that are produced by their sellers and sold here? These represent 95% of my purchases. I rarely buy anything on Amazon. If eBay abandons this niche, someone else should swoop in with a new site that appreciates my business and that of tens of thousands of others!!! 

Message 415 of 565
latest reply

Thank you for reinforcing the message that ebay does not want small sellers. I needed to see a few times, and have made an exit strategy.  They can spend their time chasing the same market as Amazon and Walmart as a me too, and other sites now have an opportunity to flourish and charge less money.  Sell wisely on multiple and possibly avoid a few 1099ks too, spread the wealth...and for the cost of selling here and the ease of creating a website, it may force sellers to do what they never intended but will ultimately reap the rewards, own your website and pay for SEO and implement social media marketing, and then no worries over being bullied into submission by a platform that really doesn’t want your store anymore.  Move out of the comfort zone, ultimately more rewarding and sense of independence vs dependence will be very motivating  Thank you ebay for giving small sellers no choice but to be truly entrepreneurial...have fun with china, hopefully Trump will issue more tariffs on chinese products to make your new model fall in its face ..a girl can dream 

Message 416 of 565
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said , I only shop Used  Pre/owned on here, If  I need new items I just go to the store.. I have been on here about 8 years, Started shopping and fell in Love with Ebay sellers,  Every computer in my home is from Ebay/ used we have about 6 and I sold our old ones back on here as well, I started selling on here about 7 years ago, As we have things we no longer needed or out grew, We just sell them on here and then buy what we needed back on here. Simple .

After Hurrican Harvey, when our home flooded, we lost alot of clothes, Every pair of shoes we owned , House coats, Skippers, Blankets ,Pillows Rugs, Computer cord, Clocks .etc  I have taken my sells from then to now and have been replacing these items, Thats what is so great about Ebay, Wonderful Sellers, Stop chasing them out the door, They are also your Buyers! I do not know anyone who shops on Ebay for things they can buy local for less. I sell and buy on here So does My sister and we have a large family they shop here as well, Don't run us all off...

Message 417 of 565
latest reply

If eBay wants to go ahead and become another River (aka deNile), they will also need to develop an ebook reader/Android tablet, implement a video and music streaming subscription service, and sell their own goods as well.  They can't rely only on fees and advertising (which, since ad blockers are so prevalent, is a losing proposition anyway) if they want to compete with Amazon.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 418 of 565
latest reply

I am already seeing it in the fine diamond jewelry categpries.

Less and less mom and pop and pretty much all big box jewelry store and drop shippers.

Message 419 of 565
latest reply

I do agree with that. I just hope it isn't too late. But I do believe in hedging my bets, and fortunately they are not the only game in town when it comes to art. For many of you, I believe there are other options out there as well. 

Message 420 of 565
latest reply