cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay stole my money

An overseas buyer bought a $600 item. I shipped it through eBay shipping and provided tracking. The item was delayed in the postal system due to Covid. The customer filed an item not received a claim. I provided eBay proof that the item was still in transit but they refunded the money to the buyer and took it out of my PayPal account. Eventually the buyer received the item and I went back to eBay and asked for my money back. I was told it was too late because more than 30 days have elapsed since the money was refunded to the buyer however it took more than 30 days for the item to reach the buyer so there was no way for me to appeal within 30 days. The buyer now has the item and the money. eBay told me to invoice the buyer which I did repeatedly but he never paid and now he is no longer on eBay. I have told the story to eBay over and over again but they refuse to either change the policy to account for Covid delays or at least make an exception to it. I have done nothing wrong and I am out my merchandise and $700. I have been both a seller and buyer on eBay for 20 years. They are $1 billion corporation and I am a single individual. There is no excuse for them keeping the $700 when I did nothing wrong, the buyer received the merchandise and I did everything according to eBay rules. To add insult to injury I was charged a listing fee and a final value fee for having my $700 stolen from me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can recover my money?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay stole my money

What is the timeline for all of this?  Date sold, etc?  Recent transaction or months ago?

You can try reaching out to e-Bay CS on social media - but if not a recent transaction, there is typically no recourse.

https://facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

eBay stole my money

There is no way for you to recover your money or item. As soon as eBay refunded and you did not try to intercept the package and have it returned to you, you were out both the item and the money.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay stole my money

OP,

Yes it would be helpful if you could provide the following information:

1) Date Sold

2) Date Shipped

3) Country shipped to

3) Shipping service used (i.e. USPS, eBay Standard International, Global Shipping Program, etc.)

3) Date INR opened

4) Date INR Closed/Refund Issued [Did you refund or were you forced to?]

5) Date Item was delivered

Please keep in mind that just because the label was purchased on eBay, doesn't mean that you used an eBay service. The only service that has additional INR protections is the Global Shipping Program (GSP). Any USPS method (First Class International, Priority/Express Mail International) or the eBay Standard International (hybrid model) do NOT have any additional INR protections and require delivery confirmation (or signature confirmation depending on value) for INR protection.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

eBay stole my money

"Please keep in mind that just because the label was purchased on eBay, doesn't mean that you used an eBay service."

That's an excellent point!  Now I doubt 80% of the posts on this board about losing money are legit.  Anyone can print a label from a previous sale and change the delivery address and then come here to complain.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eBay stole my money

@bluesworld wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can recover my money?

My only suggestion, and it will not help you recover your money which is now lost, is to not sell expensive items overseas in the time of covid.  In fact, I stopped shipping international many years ago as I, as the seller, take on all the risks, the risks which include the high additional shipping charges.  I can buy a widget for $1 and ship it domestically for say $5 and be out a total of $6 if lost or I can ship same widget internationally for $20 and be out $21 if lost.  By my internal calculations that is not a worthwhile risk.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply