cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay seller fees have become prohibitive

christine_88no
Adventurer

I sold a drone for $375 and seller fee was over $50.  That's it eBay I'm done.  I'm moving on to other platforms.  I ended up just cancelling the sale and refunded the money.  I didn't need to sell it bad enough to get hosed with these ridiculous fees.   At one time I might have just ate the cost but with all the other online market places, who the hell needs eBay anymore.   

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

I dont!  im splitting too! My subscription is up on may 1st! They take 46% that inclused shipping cost and fees! Only the board is getting rich! Ebay is past its prime! 

Good luck to you! 

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

"I ended up just cancelling the sale and refunded the money."

The buyer didn't deserve that.

Did they request a cancellation?

You could also get another negative like your other drone sale you canceled.

Fees are easy to calculate before you list so there are no surprises and you can decide if it's worth your time.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Unfortunately, looks as though you have not sold anything for over a year.  Wish for your buyer's sake you would have posted here before you sold something again or at least clicked on the Seller updates, etc.  

That's the problem with luring Sellers with "free" listings....it is only "free" to list.  Not "free" when it sells.

These scenarios make all Sellers look bad.  Perhaps online selling is not for your items - maybe try CL or FB Mkt place or something.  Every site has its' issues though and some of them on the Reddit groups are rampant with stories of CC chargebacks.  

Thankful I was not your buyer and wanting a drone.  I would be some kinda unhappy today to see my order was cancelled.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Where are you going to sell that is significantly less in fees?  I sell on a number of platforms, some are easier all have fees.  You are also looking at a small fraction of the traffic that Ebay has.  Ebay clearly lets you know there will be fees when you sign up if you didn't price accordingly, that is your issue.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

I can't believe anyone "Member since: Sep-05-99" did not sit down and figure costs involved for sale before listing said item. 

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

The item in question was sold on April 11th of this year.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Yes, but prior to this drone sale OP is referencing, had not sold really for over a year.  My point was that before jumping back into selling, it would have made sense to at least figure out what might have changed since the last time they sold, etc.  They knew to come to the boards to complain after the fact - a quick trip here or to google would have made sense.  That and the poster that points out this is not a new seller.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

He'll sell on Facebook or Craigslist.   No fees there. 

Probably just as well because something like a drone has a higher risk of fraudulent buyers anyways.  

Must have got whacked with a 15% fee on the deal.  Which really is a lot considering it costs eBay the same amount to run your listing no matter what it sells for.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Agree . Ebay it self is such an scam. They don't' really give a darn about sellers. I have obvious scams with two returns. I spent hours on this already with EBAY.  They basically say tough luck.   I even have pictures of the item I sent and still does not matter. (they open sent wrong item return) which is completely false.  Ebay reps spin every single time and make the seller a bad guy. I don't really care for the money but the principle. I always provide great service even ship faster than advertised. I have hundreds of good review to prove it. Ebay says they don't take side but they do.

I have another return saying an brand new faucet that was sealed is leaking . Ebay wants me to pay for the return and "inspect" or send it to an manufacture. HAHAHA. 

I don't accept returns but I would never send something that is not sealed or brand new or  not in working condition.  I know they buyer is just buying and taking parts out and will ship it back saying it is defective. or just making an false claim hoping i would just let them keep it and the money. (probably resell it later) EBAY, (which doesn't take sides) will let them have their money back and make me pay for shipping on an item that is now worthless.  That is why I stopped selling anything that is above an certain amount of money since I know I will have someone  try to scam me. It doesn't cost ebay anything so they push the cost on the seller. Anyway once I sell as much as possible of the inventory I have on Ebay,  I am leaving ebay hopefully more and more will do same.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

What did you think the fee was going to be?  Something to look into before listing.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

"They take 46% that inclused shipping cost and fees!"

How do you arrive at 46% in fees?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 12 of 38
latest reply

That can happen if you sell something for one dollar.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

$375?

So 10% on your selling fee.  $37.50

And 10% on your shipping fee.  Depends on the service you chose $2.50-$5.00??

And 30c plus 2.9% of the customer's total payment, including 2.9% of any Internet Sales Tax collected for his state, goes to Paypal . More than $10.00 there.

So $50.00 sounds if anything a bit low.

If you used any of eBay's useless upgrades like Sub-Title, Design, Reserve, or Bold, you would have seen those non-refundable fees before you agreed to list.  But you didn't need those to have $50+ in fees.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

If it's 46% either your arithmetic is off, or you are selling low value items.

Remember that PP takes 30c for every separate transaction in addition to their 2.9% fee.

And eBay encourages the use of several useless options (Reserve, Bold, sub-title) with non-refundable fees.

Have you looked into PP micro-payments?

Message 15 of 38
latest reply