cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay says ship, buyer says used wrong credit card

Sold an item, received "Your buyer has confirmed the payment of $xxx.xx + $xx.xx shipping, its time to pack up your item and ship it out" from eBay.

I then receive the following message from the buyer:

"I used the wrong credit card and your payment will be denied. Have no worries I am buying it but have to wait to place it on the right card. I am so sorry for any inconvenance that I might have caused. As soon as eBay tell me the card was declined I will resubmit my paymeny and notify you when this is done."

I have 1-day handling in my description. Buyer and seller are in US.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I actually did the same thing last week with one of my shipping supply suppliers, I just clicked on the card that Ebay showed and then remembered that I had cancelled that card and got another one due to fraud from another seller.

So I asked the seller to cancel and he did and then I bought the same items from him using the correct card number.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I actually did the same thing last week with one of my shipping supply suppliers, I just clicked on the card that Ebay showed and then remembered that I had cancelled that card and got another one due to fraud from another seller.

So I asked the seller to cancel and he did and then I bought the same items from him using the correct card number.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you! Thats a great idea and makes it easier on all parties. Great suggestion!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@arizonabasketballfan wrote:

Thank you! Thats a great idea and makes it easier on all parties. Great suggestion!

In this instance, I'd cite 'Buyer requested' as the reason for the cancellation, based on the message from your buyer alone.

Mischief managed!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I did exactly this. The buyer accepted as well. Thank you! I am very impressed with this community!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Any time you can correct a problem, especially a financial one, BEFORE you ship... that's a resolution to pursue.  It's just so much easier!

And even if the buyer is blowing smoke and never does the repurchase, you're still good!  You have your item, undamaged, and didn't get a defect for not shipping or having it returned or any other thing that could go wrong.  The buyer got their money back and you kept & relisted your item.

And as a bonus... Cassini will see that relist as being something that already sold, so it will rank just a wee bit higher, and better exposure means better chances to sell!  If it was part of a multi-unit listing that's still running, better yet!!  Just pop that item back into the available qty for the listing and keep selling!!

Like I said, any time you can fix something before shipment, that's a good solution.  Maybe not universally, but as a general rule.  There are always exceptions.  🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the reply!  The average buy it now price had actually gone up for the item (hot commodity!!) - I offered the buyer if they weren't really interested to let me know and I'll list it higher; the previous buyer bought it immediately at the previous auction price.

All those things you mentioned were running through my head. I didn't want to wait longer for the payment to come through again when on the eBay side, the payment went through and the buyer may have been able to say I didn't meet my end of the transaction by not handling it within one day and somehow I'm paying return shipping or getting a charge back.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply