cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay adds Google Pay as new payment option

Wow, shocker. I thought they were all in on Managed Payments. Coming in April … will there be customers though?

https://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-adds-google-pay-as-new-payment-option/

Visit our Store today!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

They mentioned google pay was an option they were working on.  I am glad they got it worked out.

I am not sure you mean by "I thought they were all in on Managed Payments"?

Having more options available to buyers within the eBay managed payments is good for buyers and sellers alike, and the processing is still managed by eBay.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I meant authoritarian control. I thought they wanted their fingers all over every transaction, to the exclusion of other third-parties.

Visit our Store today!
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I got a google pay account way long ago but only found a few sites that used it so gave it up as a buyer.  I am more than happy to TAKE any kind of payments but as a buyer I only use Paypal. I don't want to give my credit card number to 20 different sites.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

FANTASTIC.  And I mean that seriously.  I use Google Pay for many, many things these days, as do most of my friends.  Every day in my B&M job I get multiple people asking us if we take Google Pay/Apple Pay/Samsung Pay.  A huge number of people use and prefer those payment methods these days; it's about time eBay finally started accepting them.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@beyondthetreeline wrote:

I meant authoritarian control. I thought they wanted their fingers all over every transaction, to the exclusion of other third-parties.

I am not sure why you would think that? 

eBay has said managed payments to designed to help buyer buy easier and with more options than before.  They have also said the new tools will help sellers manage there eBay business better and reduce fees for all sellers.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Thought it was processed through adyen?

Apple Pay is coming too.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Do you think my old account might still be valid/active? Its been years.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Adyen/ebay processes on the back end for the SELLERS

Apple Pay is already part of Managed Payments. Google Pay will be added in April sometime I think. But only a few sellers currently offer Managed Payments, that was part of the deal between PP and ebay when they broke up. A max of 5% of payments can be processed through June or July of this year, then it gets bumped up to 10%, then next year some time it goes up to 100%. The deal was designed to give PP more time to wean themselves from over-dependence on ebay.

Later this year, PayPal will become part of Managed Payments, and I'd guess some others might be added as the year goes on.

What sellers need to understand: Once MPs is sitewide, buyers will be able to choose among a number of ways to pay. As a seller, I won't need a Google Pay account to accept Google Pay....that's where Adyen comes in. Buyers will have MORE choices, which will probably bring more buyers to the site, and at the same time, sellers will need only their ebay account to handle payments from a host of options.

I think ebay sellers are so used to PayPal being the only way here, and so used to PayPal being on both the buyer and seller end, that they have trouble grasping that when this changes, PP will be available on the buyer end, but the payments will be distributed to us directly, not through PP...and that will be true whether the buyer used a cc, GooglePay, PayPal, or whatever....
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
Thought it was processed through adyen?

Apple Pay is coming too.

It is processed through Adyen and eBay manages the payment.  Apply pay is already available in managed payments.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I wouldn't know-- I don't know what their policies are on old/unused accounts.  I've been using mine actively for a little over a year now.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

I wouldn't know-- I don't know what their policies are on old/unused accounts.  I've been using mine actively for a little over a year now.

Google pay has gone through a few names, google payments, google wallet, google pay and I am sure all of them have been linked to an email address?

Here is a link that might help you?  -  Click Here

Good Luck Selling!

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

No need to link outside , ebay has the information already posted 
It is for those in the managed payment & I think it's a great idea to add it just like Apple pay.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-to-begin-rolling-out-google-pay-on-its-marketplace-platfor...

and 

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/paying-on-ebay-the-future-is-mobile-flexible-and-frictionless/

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

I wonder why if the managed payment thingy is taking Apple Pay that we don't see it on sellers payment options like we do the credit card logos? I look for it every time I look at listings from sellers who are in the managed payment program but I have yet to see the Apple Pay logo. Wonder why?

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I wonder why if the managed payment thingy is taking Apple Pay that we don't see it on sellers payment options like we do the credit card logos? I look for it every time I look at listings from sellers who are in the managed payment program but I have yet to see the Apple Pay logo. Wonder why?

I guess they know which device we are using & show it accrordingly 

This seller offers managed payment & I see Apple Pay via IPhone but not via computer when I just tested it 

089EF581-2B21-41B5-9C36-D740939DD1B3.png

Message 15 of 29
latest reply