cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Does Not Protect Sellers, Bad Business

Sick and tired of eBay locking up my Paypal account because a buyer decides to return an item he/she doesn't want but is outside clearly defined return period, then the buyer opens a case and you're frozen, stuck, committed to giving eBay money until this faux return reason is "resolved", which usually means eBay just wants you to accept the return and FORCES you to do so. There is no excuse for this. Shame on eBay. Will start doing business elsewhere.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The refund period from PayPal is 180 days, while the return period for eBay is only 30 days.

I do agree with you that the PayPal refund period is ridiculous -- NO "big box" store would ever allow a buyer to walk in off the street, to do a return from nearly 6 months ago!  The manager would have Security on the phone within minutes.

PayPal definitely needs to change these egrigious policies, as they leave a very wide open door for buyer abuse -- and we have enough of that, as it is.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The return period at Paypal is based on credit card return policies. If a buyer goes to their credit card, Paypal gets hit with a chargeback fee which they have to eat or charge back to the original seller. It's cheaper for Paypal to allow buyers to return through them.

Regardless buyers returning things long after is largely a non-issue from what I've seen. I've been on the boards for over 16 years and posts about long return periods are few and far between.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Will start doing business elsewhere.

Unless you have a time machine, I'm not sure where else that would be.  This is not just eBay; it is 21st Century eCommerce as a whole.  In a he said / she said situation, everybody gives the benefit of the doubt to the buyer. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

There are many other sites that let the seller run their business without the interference from the venue.

There are many good things about Ebay but there are many bad things about Ebay and I thought with Devon at the wheel things would get a lot better. There has been positive changes for sellers but Ebay has had a bad rep for so long - they aren't doing enough to bring these buyers back.

There is a discussion on the Buying board about an article someone posted about Amazon suing a couple of sellers of counterfeit goods. Although Amazon sees their share of counterfeits which are everywhere - the venue does have security measures in place and monitors the sote far better than Ebay.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

a buyer decides to return an item he/she doesn't want but is outside clearly defined return period.

A seller's return policy is for buyers suffering from Buyers Remorse, it is not, nor has it ever been, for a buyer who opens a not as described complaint.

Your return policy is null and void if a buyer opens a not as described complaint, and eBays Money Back Guarantee is in play.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

There are many other sites that let the seller run their business without the interference from the venue.

I was thinking of venues that actually had a buyer or two, but it's not just the sites.  PayPal's buyer protection is even stronger than eBay's and credit card issuers are even more buyer-centric.  Unless the seller wants to set up his own site and accept only postal money orders, there's going to be a risk that a shady buyer will take advantage of the system.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Craigslist.

You sell there, it's final. Done, over, kaput. No eBay to force you to give them a refund.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I'm tired of people selling faulty things on Ebay I bought a hair straightener is stopped working 29 days after using it seller doesn't want to give me a refund
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Exactly!  No investigation, no consideration of any photos... eBay just forces the refund based on a buyer's "mention" (the exact term used in their explanation) of "not as described".  eBay 's Seller Protection Policy is an outright lie.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@sparke420You can still file a claim through PayPal

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

You can say what you want because as far as the buyer is concerned it's not about the seller, it is about the venue.  If a buyer or a seller feels wronged they will ask the venue for assistance. And when a venue protects a seller over the buyer it doesn't take long before sellers abuse that privilege and you can believe me that is NOT good for traffic.

So if a venue doesn't interfere it may in fact be protecting the seller that took advantage of a buyer.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

"NO "big box" store would ever allow a buyer to walk in off the street, to do a return from nearly 6 months ago!  The manager would have Security on the phone within minutes."

I disagree. The trend is moving towards longer and more liberal return policies in retail and ecommerce. Walmart allows 90 days. Both Macy's and Zappos allow a year. LLBean famously accepts nearly anything anytime! Nordstrom and Neiman's heavily advertise their free returns. This is becoming the norm. Ebay is focused on reasonable customer expectations and sales trends in encouraging sellers to follow suit. The selling landscape has changed and the challenge is how to change with it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

The refund period from PayPal is 180 days, while the return period for eBay is only 30 days.

I do agree with you that the PayPal refund period is ridiculous -- NO "big box" store would ever allow a buyer to walk in off the street, to do a return from nearly 6 months ago!  The manager would have Security on the phone within minutes.

PayPal definitely needs to change these egrigious policies, as they leave a very wide open door for buyer abuse -- and we have enough of that, as it is.

The refund period on PayPal forces the buyer to pay return shipping. Unless they are in that scheme that only gives them 12 returns a year where PayPal pay the shipping *if* the item is still within the return period defined by the seller.

I've been losing too much money on eBay via people buying the wrong item and lately, refusing to admit it. Skirting the issue. Not responding when I link them to the correct item and ask "this is the one you intended to buy, isn't it?" I can tell they bought the wrong item via the behavior of the reported "fault."

If a buyer opens a return for this reason and refuses to admit fault, I lose shipping both ways plus fees on the item. A grand total of $8. It doesn't sound a lot but when you figure out that you refunded the buyer in full plus paid the USPS and eBay for the trouble of dealing with them, you start to realize that this can not go on. I don't mind that I have to refund the buyer. It doesn't matter, I can resell such sparsely used items. I just want the ability to tell them "this one is your fault" and for that to be final. For the buyer to pay for the lost shipping. No denials by buyer, no lost $8 - $8 being most of the profits lost on the resale. I worked on that cable for nothing. I'm always 100% honest when the fault was on my end. But I'd like to be equally honest when it was not, instead of just rolling over.

In other words when a buyer opens a case like this on eBay, you can either throw up your hands and lose $8 on a $25 item (average selling cost) or play back and forth with the buyer, get them to admit they bought the wrong item (and I will say that most are entirely reasonable about this, but I've had two over the last two weeks who were not)  and then have to phone eBay to get case closed in your favour. I'm not sure the large amount of messing around there is even worth $8.

When the buyer is overseas and you find yourself paying their return shipping just to avoid a negative, this starts to turn into the kind of joke that causes me to have to charge an extra premium to overseas buyers to cover instances of this. I have to charge that on top of the ludicrous USPS overseas charges. I don't like doing it, because I already have very little foreign trade due to the absolutely awful USPS international rate for anything that goes over the 3/4" limit. I also don't like paying for the mistakes of others and I especially don't like forcing that system on others. Funnily enough overseas buyers pull this stunt way more commonly than US buyers, given that most of what I sell is US-centric and incompatible with their hardware (barring those from countries on the entire American continent). The only reason I don't block them is last time I did (over Christmas when selling international is fraught with issues), I saw one of them telling my *US BUYERS* on a very politically liberal forum that I visit that I was unfriendly to international trade and to buy off my competitor instead. The daftest thing about this is I'm an immigrant, not even from this country, so this isn't an anti foreigner stance, it's an "eBay is too risky and potentially expensive" stance. I'm about to solve this problem without blocking non North American/South American trade, because....

That will *not* happen on my website, it only happens on eBay. I don't know how long I am going to be here. I'm already bottlenecking my trade here on purpose because I am now selling half of it elsewhere. PayPal return period is absolutely fine, because I *don't pay postage.* 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply