cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Authenticity Guarantee

I sold a ring on eBay and since it was over $500, they immediately sent it to their

Authenticity Guarantee service. First of all I sent it by priority mail and it took forever to reach them. Then I got messages from eBay saying they didn't have the original appraisal I had mentioned in my listing. I told them I had put it in an envelope with the package. They kept insisting they never got it. I totally think they threw it out with the packing and denied it. Thankfully I made a copy for my records but they weren't going to pass it without it. I scanned the appraisal to the buyer and she was happy with it. It took 12 days to get it right but it still says it has to be delivered to the buyer (at eBay's expense) . What a terrible experience! Very unprofessional!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@plvn 

Would you mind telling me the state where eBay sent your a ring to be authenticated?

i’m trying to figure out what happened to a bracelet that I sold that was supposed to be authenticated. The label that eBay generated for me went to a town in New Jersey.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

My ring was sent to carlsbad, california

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the information @plvn .  I am beginning to conclude that although my listing contained the AGJ "badge" and sold for $760, my bracelet was not authenticated and went straight to my buyer.

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Would it be possible to get clarification from someone informed about the Authenticity Guarantee for Jewelry program? 

Assuming a listing shows the Authenticity Guarantee for Jewelry badge and sells for over $500:

1) Must the piece of jewelry have stones to be authenticated?

2) Must the piece of jewelry be a "name" brand to be authenticated?

3) If the answer to both questions is No, then why was my unbranded, 14K gold, no-stone bracelet that sold for $760 not authenticated, and why wasn't I, the seller, not informed about this?

I would be grateful for answers.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@tealt wrote:

Thank you for the information @plvn .  I am beginning to conclude that although my listing contained the AGJ "badge" and sold for $760, my bracelet was not authenticated and went straight to my buyer.

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Would it be possible to get clarification from someone informed about the Authenticity Guarantee for Jewelry program? 

Assuming a listing shows the Authenticity Guarantee for Jewelry badge and sells for over $500:

1) Must the piece of jewelry have stones to be authenticated?

2) Must the piece of jewelry be a "name" brand to be authenticated?

3) If the answer to both questions is No, then why was my unbranded, 14K gold, no-stone bracelet that sold for $760 not authenticated, and why wasn't I, the seller, not informed about this?

I would be grateful for answers.

Hey @tealt! All the requirements for our jewelry authentication program can be found in the FAQ's on our help page here.    

Devon,
eBay
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

your best bet is to call eBay directly. I talked to someone in the authenticity dept.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Thank you for your quick reply.

I had already read the AGJ FAQ's multiple times--I have them bookmarked.

One Q that cuts to the chase:

"How can I confirm my item qualified for Authenticity Guarantee?

A blue badge with "Authenticity Guarantee" will automatically appear on your item's listing page. Upon making a sale, you can also check your order details in the Seller Hub sold section. If the item is eligible, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your item sold with Authenticity Guarantee."

The blue badge appeared on my listing (it's still there on the Sold item page).  But...nothing in the Order Details and no email from eBay.  So, my questions in the above post still haven't been answered.   The bracelet sold on April 20th.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@plvn 

I'd love to be able to talk to someone.  How were you able to call eBay directly?

Since it's becoming obvious my bracelet never went through the AGJ department, I'm not sure if they could answer my questions. 

I could be quite wrong, but my current [conspiracy] theory is that eBay has some double secret AI thingie that causes unbranded, used, no-stone gold jewelry pieces to go directly to the buyer rather than to the authenticators, even if the piece sells for over $500.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply