cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Admits to Competing With Sellers - Plans to resell eBay International Shipping (EIS) Returns

And that is why this quote from Chad Stewart, Director, U.S. Exports at eBay, caught my attention discussing the mechanics of the new eBay International Shipping (eIS) program.

“Those [returned] items come back to our hub in Chicago, at which point we are then preparing those items to be sold again on the site. So those items will not be destroyed unless obviously they’re somehow come back to us destroyed. But the vast majority of these items end up just finding another home with a buyer within the United States as we try to list those items on the site as well.

eBay Admits to Competing With Sellers (eseller365.com)

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay Admits to Competing With Sellers - Plans to resell eBay International Shipping (EIS) Returns

@mybigsale wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

to add:

Also seems the statement that the "items come back to our hub" is a misstatement.   Why would they ever leave the hub?

These are not the rejected items. These are items that have been returned for whatever reason. I believe sellers keep their money and eBay keeps the returned items.  Makes sense eBay will want to recoup money by reselling items.

So you are saying eBay has claimed they are not going to resell EIS Returns?

@mybigsale  the way it was presented on the podcast made it sound more like eBay would be directly selling the returned items on the site themselves, thus competing with sellers, which is not true.

What is really going to happen is eBay will sell the items to liquidators who will then do with them as they please. As others have pointed out, this is not very different from how GSP handled rejected items, it's just now expanded to also include returns.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Monthly-Chat-May-10th-at-1-00-pm-PST/m-p/... 

Liquidated items are transferred to a 3rd party approved vendor, who sells items in their brick and mortar establishment or on eBay through their approved Seller account. Once the item is sold, eBay takes ownership of the item and packages that cannot be shipped forward, returned for issues or are considered restricted are transferred to this vendor. This is not considered direct competition as eBay is not directly reselling the item.

When asked for more details, they even said there is no way to know for sure if those items will ever end up back on the site and in fact the higher value items most likely will not.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Monthly-Chat-May-10th-at-1-00-pm-PST/m-p/... 

A seller will not be informed which vendor the item goes to or if it was sold as an individual, bulk or brick and mortar. Chad and Griff are correct, that a Seller can buy the item back, but only if they find it on the site if it is posted by the liquidation vendor. eBay will not inform Sellers of its location for sale as many of these items will be liquidated overseas and will not be returning to the US. Items posted on eBay by the liquidation vendor will be lower value items and will be DDU transactions. DDP and high value items will be liquidated overseas in bulk and Sellers will not see these on eBay as they are sold to licensed resellers by the liquidator.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

This isn’t much different that the former Global Shipping Program:

Whatever items were rejected for any reasons with the seller keeping their money was resold by a specific account on eBay.

If the seller keeps the money, why would eBay try and recoup their cost by selling the items?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Just think about how much information ebay is gathering from sellers when they hold their money and request documentation showing the sellers supplier and purchase receipts. Now ebay can sell that information to anyone to compete against that  seller.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Well, sort of yes, and no.

Seems it was clarified on the Monthly Chat with eBay Staff (May 10th) that items are liquidate to a 3rd party vendor.

eBay has no control of where those items are then sold, so that statement

"finding another home with a buyer within the United States as we try to list those items on the site as well.

may have been sort of debunked.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

to add:

Also seems the statement that the "items come back to our hub" is a misstatement.   Why would they ever leave the hub?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

to add:

These are not the rejected items. These are items that have been returned for whatever reason. I believe sellers keep their money and eBay keeps the returned items.  Makes sense eBay will want to recoup money by reselling items.

So you are saying eBay has claimed they are not going to resell EIS Returns?

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

"...a big nothing burger....."

seriously, why do you care what I do with something once I buy it from you.....

you got paid, it is no longer your item....

have you ever went to a USPS auction? Abandoned items, undelivered items....

I suppose the USPS is now in competition with you........

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I have been following this for a while

it was also stated that the return items will not be returned to the USA hub but will be liquidated in the country they were sent to

eIS is a  very generous program as far as I can tell and I am sure that ebay wants to recoup the money they are shelling out when a buyer changes there mind

@mybigsale 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

"we are then preparing those items to be sold again on the site"

I'll watch to see how that pans out.   My brother lives in the town next door.  It's all part of the huge of metropolis of Chicago so any sale or auction will be competitive.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@monica-sells 

seriously, why do you care what I do with something once I buy it from you.....

I don't. Buy all my items and give them away or resell them. I don't mind if any other seller does the same.

Tell me eBay owns your store and is using all their resources to ensure your items sell, then I would be concerned.  I definitely don't want to be a vendor on Am?zon directly competing with an item Am?zon is selling.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@1tuna 

I have used the Global Shipping program without any issues for years. I now use the EIS program and it seems to be even better. No complaints. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

ok...there is some validity in that viewpoint...but the 'headline' is a bit misleading.....

what say you if the 'liquidator' of these uses multiple platforms to sell off the merchandise....(Poshmark for clothes, Etsy for handmade, Amazon for merchandise, Mercari for everything under a dollar) as well as ebay....

That's the way I read into it....

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

it's nothing out of the ordinary. 
The practice of resell of items that come back for whatever reason, returned by buyers, returned by mail system as undeliverable, returned for dues not paid or refused... resell of those merchandise has been a practice for decades but every company does it differently. In this case ebay is selling those items, though likely to a vendor, and dirt costs and they put a little money into their pocket and wash their hands of the items, the vendor buying them is then responsible to turn them over and make profit. Not any different for any reselling purchasing stock. I don't use the EIS, or the GSP when was that but it's obvious things come back to them and something has to be done with that merchandise. In this case, seems ebay's new EIS program allows sellers to keep the funds so your not losing anything, sold your item, made your money/profit who cares what they do with it after, move on. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

So Chad Stewart, Director, U.S. Exports at eBay was completely off the mark with the statement

"finding another home with a buyer within the United States as we try to list those items on the site as well.

eBay uses an off-site 3rd party vendor and has no future plans to have items listed on eBay as stated by Chad Stewart?

Good to know.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Nothing new.  If something can't be shipped after all, or ends kicked back from customs, or whatever, both the buyer and the seller are refunded.  Neither loses a dime.  Some of that money is recouped by selling the item.  It was always this way with the GSP, too.  It makes perfect sense. 

As another poster pointed out, this is a standard practice.  Customs holds auctions for unclaimed items.  USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL all auction off unclaimed or undeliverable items. 

-

Message 15 of 22
latest reply