cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

completely ripped off

sold a computer as NEW 2017 MacBook Pro. It arrived, seemed great. Six days after I receive it, the number 2 starts to stick. Go to return it, he says it's brand new, Apple will fix it for nothing. So I go to an Apple authorized repair place, they notice stickers on the back covering the screws. Not from Apple. They didn't want to open it in case it voided my ability to return it. They ran the serial number. The computer was purchased in January (this is late April) and I would have to take it to store to get the extended coverage, which I told is imperative as these computers have so many issues with their keyboards. He said send it back, no problem. I wipe out the OS and then...HUGE MISTAKE...cleaned the smudges off the screen. They noticed the overspray. Asked ebay to intervene. ebay chose on the seller side because...CLEANING THE SCREEN IS MODIFYING THE COMPUTER. Who cares he listed it as new when it wasn't and it had been tampered with? I tried to clean it!

I am going to do everything I can to get this out there, but BUYER BEWARE AND RUN AWAY.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

completely ripped off

@herdingdogs_0 wrote:

emall365 sold a computer as NEW 2017 MacBook Pro. It arrived, seemed great. Six days after I receive it, the number 2 starts to stick. Go to return it, he says it's brand new, Apple will fix it for nothing. So I go to an Apple authorized repair place, they notice stickers on the back covering the screws. Not from Apple. They didn't want to open it in case it voided my ability to return it. They ran the serial number. The computer was purchased in January (this is late April) and I would have to take it to store to get the extended coverage, which I told emall365 is imperative as these computers have so many issues with their keyboards. He said send it back, no problem. I wipe out the OS and then...HUGE MISTAKE...cleaned the smudges off the screen. They noticed the overspray. Asked ebay to intervene. ebay chose on the seller side because...CLEANING THE SCREEN IS MODIFYING THE COMPUTER. Who cares he listed it as new when it wasn't and it had been tampered with? I tried to clean it!

I am going to do everything I can to get this out there, but BUYER BEWARE AND RUN AWAY.

If the buyer knows how Buyer Protection works, they are protected.  Apple is not responsible to  you; your seller is.  You bought from your seller.

With all due respect, it seems you don't know how it works; and this is what hurt you.  You should have opened a not as described request, seller pays return shipping, you send it back.  When tracking shows delivery, you are refunded the original price and shipping.

There is an Ebay logo for the MBG on the listing.  It says, Get the item you ordered or your money back.  You could call Ebay, Trust and Safety, or Resolutions, and explain the situation to CS.  Maybe they will reverse the decision.  One call may not be sufficient.

You can file a case through Paypal within 180 days.  You have to pay return shipping in that case.  You can use your credit card company as a last resort.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

You are so right. I was an idiot. One, I should have taken pictures to show the condition before I put it in the box. Including the stickers. So naive of me. And it was not as described. I sent it back as malfunctioning, and even said they saw the stuck key, but then was like, was something spilled?? I'm like, no...must have been when I cleaned it. BINGO. OUT. I HATE ebay. Who in the world thinks cleaning is a modification.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

And, as a newbie, who should I call at ebay? Already called paypal, waiting for a call back. (hour waits!!!)

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

@herdingdogs_0 wrote:

You are so right. I was an idiot. One, I should have taken pictures to show the condition before I put it in the box. Including the stickers. So naive of me. And it was not as described. I sent it back as malfunctioning, and  even said they saw the stuck key, but then was like, was something spilled?? I'm like, no...must have been when I cleaned it. BINGO. OUT. I HATE ebay. Who in the world thinks cleaning is a modification.

So you cleaned it, and the key started sticking?

completely ripped off

@herdingdogs_0 wrote:

And, as a newbie, who should I call at ebay? Already called paypal, waiting for a call back. (hour waits!!!)

From my previous post in this thread; I guess you missed this part somehow.

You could call Ebay, Trust and Safety, or Resolutions, and explain the situation to CS.  Maybe they will reverse the decision.  One call may not be sufficient.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@herdingdogs_0 wrote:

You are so right. I was an idiot. One, I should have taken pictures to show the condition before I put it in the box. Including the stickers. So naive of me. And it was not as described. I sent it back as malfunctioning, and emall365 even said they saw the stuck key, but then was like, was something spilled?? I'm like, no...must have been when I cleaned it. BINGO. OUT. I HATE ebay. Who in the world thinks cleaning is a modification.

So you cleaned it, and the key started sticking?

This is why you lost the case.  No need to call Ebay, open a PP case, or go to your credit card co now.   Your response to, was something spilled, lost you this case.

You said,  Must have been when I cleaned it.  You admitted fault there.  It's not just that cleaning IS a modification (you don't wash a clothing item and expect to be able to return it), but that the cleaning caused damage that you admitted to.  

You provided the proof that caused you to lose the case~altering the item and causing damage.  So sorry.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

Seller has proof by your own admission and words that you caused this when you cleaned it.  No hope there.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

Op, I think your best approach is to keep things simple when speaking about the case with c-s (paypal or ebay).  *You purchased a new computer. The computer that arrived was not new and it arrived dirty.* 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

Op, I think your best approach is to keep things simple when speaking about the case with c-s (paypal or ebay).  *You purchased a new computer. The computer that arrived was not new and it arrived dirty.* 

Yes, that would have been best.  But when seller asked was something spilled on it, and the buyer replied it must have happened during cleaning, that became the seller's evidence that buyer admitted he caused the damage.  I don't know why the OP said that if that is not what happened, but he did.

I do feel for the OP and understand his frustration, but that was a very damaging thing for him to have said.  His lack of knowledge about how Buyer Protection and the MBG work also contributed to this situation.  His seller was responsible to him, as he bought from that seller.  Apple was not responsible to him.  I wish he had consulted this Board when he first had the problem, when it could have helped him, and not after the whole issue has played out and he lost.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@herdingdogs_0 wrote:

emall365 sold a computer as NEW 2017 MacBook Pro. It arrived, seemed great. Six days after I receive it, the number 2 starts to stick. Go to return it, he says it's brand new, Apple will fix it for nothing. So I go to an Apple authorized repair place, they notice stickers on the back covering the screws. Not from Apple. They didn't want to open it in case it voided my ability to return it. They ran the serial number. The computer was purchased in January (this is late April) and I would have to take it to store to get the extended coverage, which I told emall365 is imperative as these computers have so many issues with their keyboards. He said send it back, no problem. I wipe out the OS and then...HUGE MISTAKE...cleaned the smudges off the screen. They noticed the overspray. Asked ebay to intervene. ebay chose on the seller side because...CLEANING THE SCREEN IS MODIFYING THE COMPUTER. Who cares he listed it as new when it wasn't and it had been tampered with? I tried to clean it!

With all due respect, it seems you don't know how it works; and this is what hurt you.  You should have opened a not as described request, seller pays return shipping, you send it back.  When tracking shows delivery, you are refunded the original price and shipping.

Sorry, with oil do respect, OP already did -- in the post you quoted.

You can file a case through Paypal within 180 days.  You have to pay return shipping in that case.

No need: Already returned -- in the post that you quoted.

As ^^ advised @herdingdogs_0, open a PayPal dispute for not as described:

http://paypal.com/disputes

Say only key stuck and non-Apple security stickers: Say nothing else.

Then go back immediately to the PayPal Messages page --

and click the Escalate to PayPal link hidden near the bottom.

If your seller tries to contact you now, do not respond.

When you're instructed to return the item --

upload the already-delivered tracking.

Don't call PayPal. Don't call eBay.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

You don't call anybody.

You go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open a Not As Described dispute.

Ignore the 'contact seller' you've done that.

Ask eBay to step in (still on the robot form) and escalate to a Claim.

The seller is required to send you a shipping label.

When he gets it back, you are refunded.

You have 30 days for delivery for that.

But it sounds as if you talked to Customer Support, gave too much information, and were turned down.

So.

Go to Paypal.

The Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page.

Same drill, but while PP gives you 180 days from Payment to Dispute, you are required to pay for tracked return shipping. Use Signature Confirmation too, btw.

When the shipping shows delivery, you will be refunded.

But.

If you are turned down by PP, you can still go to the credit card you back your PP account with. Call the 1-800 number on the back of the card and ask the clerk (the only human you needed to talk to, through all this) and enquire about a chargeback.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

You should have had APPLE store just fix the keyboard even if you had to pay extended warranty. Macbook are fragile and they break a lot. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

completely ripped off

@hafoster wrote:

@herdingdogs_0 wrote:

Sorry, with oil do respect, OP already did -- in the post you quoted.

You can file a case through Paypal within 180 days.  You have to pay return shipping in that case.

No need: Already returned -- in the post that you quoted.

As ^^ advised @herdingdogs_0, open a PayPal dispute for not as described:

http://paypal.com/disputes

Say only key stuck and non-Apple security stickers: Say nothing else.

Then go back immediately to the PayPal Messages page --

and click the Escalate to PayPal link hidden near the bottom.

If your seller tries to contact you now, do not respond.

When you're instructed to return the item --

upload the already-delivered tracking.

Don't call PayPal. Don't call eBay.

With all due respect, the OP states that he took it to Apple first.  My point being, you don't take it to Apple first, and that point is undisputable.  You send it back to the seller.  Yes, he did EVENTUALLY send it back to the seller, but he should have done that in the first place.  Instead, he wasted time and effort doing something that did not need to be done, and should not have been done.  Thus not a good idea.  Seeing the whole picture of the OP and not just one part helps.  Hope that makes sense.  Thank you, though.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply