cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer requirements set to not sell to Int. buyer in Puerto Rico NOT working!

Hi,

I have my buyer requirements set to not sell to International buyer in Puerto Rico, along with all other country at "risk" when it comes to scammer and high risk of packages being lost in transic or stolen.

Despite this, and after double checking that those buyer requirements were still in place in "my eBay" account, I had a buyer from Puerto Rico today who bought and paid for one item. Not very high priced one, but with shipping + item price the total was around $100.

1- HOW THE HELL did he managed to buy from me with those buyer requirements set to block buyer from his country?

2-What should I do now? Ship it anyway and pray for the best (which I am sure will just lead to a INR or INAD case), or cancel the transaction? (but then since the buyer paid already he may strike back with a Neg feedback)

It's REALLY annoying having to deal with this now, because of eBay not able to make their site and tools (that we pay for) to work properly thoough.

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dtexley3 wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@dtexley3

@dtexley3 wrote:

Your picture shows that US Protectorates is NOT CHECKED.  Puerto Rico is a Protectorate.  It may be that the unchecked box OVERRIDES the detailed selection, which would be wrong in my opinion, but may explain why they were able to purchase.

My money is on this, you need to click that box.

From a functional viewpoint, if Puerto Rico is specifically blocked by name, the OP should not have to check the Protectorate box.  That checkbox blocks more than just PR, which may not be what is wanted.  But I suspect there is a bug in the order that the filters are applied and if the Prototectorate box is unchecked the individual state/country blocks for Protectorates are ignored/overridden.

@Anonymous   possible bug.

Hi @dtexley3 and @drakkordragon, based on the information here it does sound like it could be an issue that needs to be reported to our developers. I'll send this over to them today. In the meantime, it's OK if you cancel the transaction with the 'problem with buyers address' reason since you had excluded Puerto Rico. 

Brian,
Community Team

View Best Answer in original post

Message 51 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Puerto Rico is not International.

It is an unincorporated territory of the US.

Message 2 of 67
latest reply

To block Puero Rico in the future -

So if you go to your My Ebay
> Hover over Account
> a drop down menu will appear
> select "Site Preferences"
> click Show next to "Shipping Preferences"
> click Edit next to "Exclude shipping locations from your listings"
> select "US Protectorates" includes Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, etc...
> select "Apply to all current live listings"
> click "Apply" button

Message 3 of 67
latest reply

I’m sure buyers in Puerto Rico are equally annoyed when uneducated US sellers refuse to sell to them. Puerto Rico is not an international county, it’s part of the US. It’s amazing how many US sellers don’t realize this. Especially with all the publicity PR has received lately due to the hurricanes......it doesn’t cost anymore to ship there via USPS.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 67
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. However, did you read what I just wrote in my post? I already know how to block country I do not wish to ship to, and did already blocked Puero Rico in Shipping Preferences since years too. But despite this, this person was able to buy from me. Which is what I do not understand.

Message 5 of 67
latest reply

I know, but stil was in the list of blocked country I do not wanted to ship to.

Message 6 of 67
latest reply

Did you block Puerto Rico as I indicated in above post.

I looked at one of your recently sold listings -

Unless I missed it I do not see where Puerto Rico is explicitly stated as being blocked.

Message 7 of 67
latest reply

To be clear to ALL. Please stop posting comment about Puerto Rico not being international & foreign country. I KNOW Puerto Rico IS part of the US. I should have choosen another word than international sale, and may be "out of the main US countinent" sale instead.

BUT this thread isn't about debating on the state of Puerto Rico and the US continent, BUT about how a buyer from a blocked country in buyer requirements was still able to buy from me and what I should do now.

Thank you for your understanding.

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

@drakkordragon wrote:

Thank you for your reply. However, did you read what I just wrote in my post? I already know how to block country I do not wish to ship to, and did already blocked Puero Rico in Shipping Preferences since years too. But despite this, this person was able to buy from me. Which is what I do not understand.

If you specifically blocked Puerto Rico in your listing then this is a easy one.

Cancel with reason - problem with address.

It will not result in a defect.

Message 9 of 67
latest reply

In addition to setting up the listing, you must also set up your Site Preferences to automatically block bidders/buyers in locations you don't ship to.  

Since PR was in the list of excluded locations for the RC car, you can cancel the transaction based on "Problem with buyer's address."

Message 10 of 67
latest reply

Yes I did and checked this list several time too each month, since I noticed that eBay tend to remove all my buyer requirements blocked countries from time to time for some obscure reason (some people already complained about this on the forum).

Puerto Rico is listed in the list, as you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/Rw5ag

Message 11 of 67
latest reply

It might help your cause to stop calling Puerto Rico a blocked country.

As for how the buyer was able to buy, the block is based on shipping address, not location of registration.  There's a good chance that the buyer has a mainland US shipping address, or even is now living in Florida or other mainland location.

Message 12 of 67
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

It might help your cause to stop calling Puerto Rico a blocked country.

As for how the buyer was able to buy, the block is based on shipping address, not location of registration.  There's a good chance that the buyer has a mainland US shipping address, or even is now living in Florida or other mainland location.

If he is now living in FLA or on the mainland, then to avoid a problem, he should have just updated his mailing address.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

I already have set to automatically block bidders/buyers in locations I don't ship to.  Seems to do nothing.

I know I can cancel the transaction and refund the buyer based on "Problem with buyer's address." However, since the buyer paid already he may be eligible to leave me a angry Neg feedback after. That's my concern.

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

If you specifically blocked him and he over rid it, you could call ebay and ask them to remove the negative.

Or you can leave a professional response that you specifically blocked Puerto Rico in your listing.

You have done it long term, but with all the devastation down there from the hurricane I can understand someone being afraid that the item will not be successfully delivered or within the seller's stated time frame.

Message 15 of 67
latest reply